Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Brock Holt

Major Leaguer
    Quote Originally Posted by seabeachfred View Post
    Andy, we have a lot of Drew lovers on this board and to say that his entry into the lineup tomorrow will have a negative effect on the offense is tantamount to treason with some people I'm afraid. However, look at the picture. He is one for 10 at Pawtucket, that an infield single, he hasn't faced Major League pitching since last October 30 and then didn't exactly distinguish himself. He was 4 for 61 in the post season last year----and we have two people say I write this because "I hate him", forgetting the stats to back it up. They also like to pan Holt as a flash in the pan but his Minor League record is not bad, he is a number of years younger than Pedro Ciriaco was when we got him and is a better all around defensive player.

Holt has shown he can hit, he has also shown he can hit lefthanders and that says something since he's a left hand hitter himself. Drew, 2013.....196 against lefthanders. Drew must NOT play against southpaws and it is looking more and more like he shouldn't even be on the team. He is, though, and Farrell must use him wisely and that means he does NOT bat against lefthanders, and when late in the game if he gets off to a very slow start as expected I don't want to hear any "I don't want to lose him" from Farrell but rather send a pinch hitter up for him.
    Despite what one person says here I want Stephen to do well. I just have doubts right now after all that missed time and I happen to think Brock Holt is better than many people here think he is. He takes a short swing, his quick with his hands and has a presence in the field and at the plate. We may have struck some gold. We do NOT send him back down. Hell, he is now hitting 337 after four more hits today. The Red Sox can't be that crazy, can they?.......And he has been front in center in seven wins in a row. Let's not ruin it. Keep him in the lineup.
    I agree, lets see how far Holt takes us. He not only deserves it but he could be as good as he is showing...I don't know (yeah I said it). However, I feel getting Drew was still a good move. Hes a good insurance plan in case Holt doesn't work out. Whatever you say about Drews stats, he is good at the ultimate stat, Contributor-Of-World-Series-Win.

But to muddy the waters even more, Cecchini looked great.

Another first baseman down, I'd expect to see him get a few more games at first.

Quote Originally Posted by seabeachfred View Post
    Sorry Pal, I don't think he will turn into a pumpkin.
    I would make a sizeable bet that he does turn into a pumpkin. This is a guy who hit his first mlb home run last night, and has shown no signs in his career of this kind of success. Enjoy the ride and the hot bat, but his career will not be a fraction of the success as Drew's.

Quote Originally Posted by Palodios View Post
    I would make a sizeable bet that he does turn into a pumpkin. This is a guy who hit his first mlb home run last night, and has shown no signs in his career of this kind of success. Enjoy the ride and the hot bat, but his career will not be a fraction of the success as Drew's.
    Just to be clear, Stephen Drew has averaged a 2.1 war per 150 games over his career and has as many negative WAR seasons as he does seasons with a WAR over 2.

He had a solid season last season, but there's a reason that teams weren't willing to give up a pick for him.

Quote Originally Posted by SoxFanForsyth View Post
    Just to be clear, Stephen Drew has averaged a 2.1 war per 150 games over his career and has as many negative WAR seasons as he does seasons with a WAR over 2.

He had a solid season last season, but there's a reason that teams weren't willing to give up a pick for him.
    .... which says a lot about Brock Holt, doesn't it?

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFanForsyth View Post

It was because of a horrific injury history - that's it. It was going to be hard to give up years for a guy who has had trouble staying healthy. But all around, it was a coin flip between Drew and Peralta ... durability won out.

So we're betting on Holt sustaining a .375 BABIP over the long run? Where do i sign up to bet against?
    We miss you Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
    It was because of a horrific injury history - that's it. It was going to be hard to give up years for a guy who has had trouble staying healthy. But all around, it was a coin flip between Drew and Peralta ... durability won out.
    But but but.....Drew is not scrappy
    We miss you Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
    Jhonny Peralta did not receive a qualifying offer and Stephen Drew did. That was absolutely the most significant difference.
    "As long as the general population is passive, apathetic, diverted to consumerism or hatred of the vulnerable, then the powerful can do as they please, and those who survive will be left to contemplate the outcome." - Noam Chomsky

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    Jhonny Peralta did not receive a qualifying offer and Stephen Drew did. That was absolutely the most significant difference.
    Good catch.
    We miss you Mike.

But but but...we won a ring with Stephen Drew.

I don't get the infatuation with this guy. He has a pretty decent glove at short, that's about it. He's just an average short stop. He is atrocious against LHP and Ks twice as much as he walks.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by MJantomaso View Post

I don't get the infatuation with this guy. He has a pretty decent glove at short, that's about it. He's just an average short stop. He is atrocious against LHP and Ks twice as much as he walks.
    1. It's about 3B, not SS here. Bogaerts is better than any available 3B alternative.
    2. K's don't matter a whole lot. He got on base at a decent clip and was a 3 win player in limited work last year.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    Good point. Forgot about the former.

Quote Originally Posted by MJantomaso View Post

You know what's important to winning ballgames? Defense. You know what team has had a atrocious defense so far? The Red Sox. Put two and two together.....
    We miss you Mike.

Nothing wrong with Holt, I'm glad he's here, but if you have Drew, you play Drew. I'm more interested in how they see Cecchini. He's the guy who can block Drew. If Cecchini hits the cover off the ball the way I expect him to, then you have to sit one of Pedroia, bogaerts, or Cecchini to play Drew, and THAT may not happen.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.