Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tony Gwynn dies

It's the power of playing in New York.

By all accounts, Gwynn was a really nice guy and an ambassador of the game. Certainly one of the best hitters of all time.

The snub was inexcusable.

Aside from the fact that I possessed not a shred of power or control over the game's proceedings, I think I'd better admit I never once thought of Gwynn during the ASG so at least I can't look in the mirror and call myself a hypocrite. Thank goodness for that because if I did have some say over the game and it went down as it did with nary a mention of the best hitter in the last 50 years I would have been eligible for a ride out of town on a rail. Excuse for my negligence in this matter? There was so much of Jeter this and Jeter that, it was hard to think of anyone else. Unlike some of you, I do not resent Derek in any way save for all the times he inside outed a ball to RF and gave us fits in that regard. Barring some unforeseen circumstances like the Yankees trading for Lee and Price it looks at this time that Jeter is not going out as a WS winner. So I suppose that is of some consolation for those of you who resent the guy because of the team he plays for. Certainly his conduct and composure during his career can't be anything to criticize.