Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2012

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    I think that you are completely right. Last year, amazed me as everything seemed to break our way. That team was a resilient fighting bunch and their efforts rarely went unrewarded. I did not think they were the most talented team last year by any stretch. When you get a run of good fortune like that, you expect that your fortunes will turn eventually, and they have turned bad dramatically this season. The feeling is different this year than 2012, largely because we are not saddled with a bloated payroll full of sloths and bad attitudes, but also it feels different because we are still basking in a cinderella Championship season. That being said, if we have another 90+ loss season that will mean a lot of pain for the fans as 90 loss seasons is something that is really unprecedented for everyone other than very senior Sox fans.
    Yes, the 2013 Championship makes this season's losing easier to swallow. An you are also right that if the Sox lose 90 games and finish out of the playoffs the feelings of 2012 will start to return. The longer this season goes on it has become obvious that the 2013 Championship is one that the baseball gods gave us as payback for all of the years of suffering.

6 games back on the wildcard. Plenty of pitching depth and plenty of infield and catching depth in the minors. Brock Holt is a monster, and Rubby has been awesome.

The next four series are Cubs, O's, White Sox, Astros. Besides the Orioles, those are all very bad teams.

They need two more outfielders, and the Victorino setback is a big loss. Alex Rios is on the market, maybe if the Sox pick up the tab, Felix could pull him in. Just get a little better on offense, that's all they need.

Quote Originally Posted by Palodios View Post
    6 games back on the wildcard. Plenty of pitching depth and plenty of infield and catching depth in the minors. Brock Holt is a monster, and Rubby has been awesome.

The next four series are Cubs, O's, White Sox, Astros. Besides the Orioles, those are all very bad teams.

They need two more outfielders, and the Victorino setback is a big loss. Alex Rios is on the market, maybe if the Sox pick up the tab, Felix could pull him in. Just get a little better on offense, that's all they need.
    This is definitely a great opportunity for the Sox to pick up some ground - playing 3 of the small handful of teams with worse records than the Red Sox. They have 5 or 6 teams to climb over in the Wild Card hunt. If they don't make a major move over this stretch, 2014 I over for them.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

I believe that I suggested Alex Rios!!

Seriously, the Sox have the chips to play with. If Rios can be had I say go for it.

But only if they intend to compete in the playoffs this year.

I know nothing about how much Rios is being paid. I believe it is 13-15 mil through next year. I don't know how his salary would work.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    I believe that I suggested Alex Rios!!

Seriously, the Sox have the chips to play with. If Rios can be had I say go for it.

But only if they intend to compete in the playoffs this year.

I know nothing about how much Rios is being paid. I believe it is 13-15 mil through next year. I don't know how his salary would work.
    I think they have to do something to keep the team competetive. 90 loss seasons drain fan interest from the franchise which is not easy to regain as they find other forms of entertainment. Look at this forum. Since we have been losing many of the noisier pom pom waving posters are gone. I don't think the Red Sox FO wants its fan base to disengage. I think they will try to kick start them back to competitiveness.
    Last edited by a700hitter; 06-27-2014 at 12:26 PM.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

I think they have to do smething to keep the team competetive. 90 loss seasons drain fan interest from the franchise which is not easy to regain as they find other forms of entertainment. Look at this forum. Since we have been losing many of the noisier pom pom waving posters are gone. I don't think the Red Sox FO wants its fan base to disengage. I think they will try to kick start them back to competitiveness.
    I hope that you are right Ted. 90 loses is not acceptable in this market. Maybe some will accuse me of being "entitled". I don't think so. I do expect that the Sox will do whatever they can do each year to put a competitive team on the field. That has not happened yet this season.

Let's hope for the best.

The other thing to consider is that the Red Sox can be very flexible because of the cost of many of their players.

They could potentially be buyers in June/July, and if it doesn't stick, they can still be sellers on the waiver wire.

Peavy at $15 million, Drew at $10 million, Buchholz at 8 + 12 million, AJ at $10 million. Even trade targets like Alex Rios and Cuddyer are expensive enough that they can be passed through waivers and moved to the right teams for mid-value pieces.

I wonder if Betts will get called up this weekend against the Yanks now that Victorino has been shut down again.

Hot damn Pal, I love your upbeat outlook---and don't let anyone tell you otherwise but I have this optimistic bug in my system that is just dying to come out but it's been hard because except for isolated instances of some good individual pitching performances and a few big hits from Papi there hasn't been much to turn me on. One thing I do believe though. Somehow we have to summon the best we have and win this series in New York. That would enliven even the more cynical of us. And keep your upbeat persona going. This ranter loves it.

I think they have to do something to keep the team competetive. 90 loss seasons drain fan interest from the franchise which is not easy to regain as they find other forms of entertainment. Look at this forum. Since we have been losing many of the noisier pom pom waving posters are gone. I don't think the Red Sox FO wants its fan base to disengage. I think they will try to kick start them back to competitiveness.
    Thanks for you support Ted----and I even agreed with you when you said I was acting like an asshole arguing with Ellsbury the way I was. Not bothering with that topic anymore if I can. Well one thing is certain, I'm no pom-pom waver, just a noisy guy who rants now and then, lately mostly now. As I said to Spud, I think it was yesterday, I didn't really expect the Red Sox to get back to the WS this year because so many things broke out way last season even on paper we were not the best team. However, I never thought we would be playing this poorly, and the olden day be damned, the Red Sox aren't supposed to play like that in the 21st Century and Spud had it right. The Red Sox are not supposed to play this way.

Damn, I finally remembered......I would like to recommend a nice book to read.....Maybe some of you bought and read it already but if you haven't it is worth the treat......"IDIOTS REVUISITED"---the capsule story of the 2004 Red Sox, the players who made it happen, what they thought about it then, how it has affected them today, and brings everyone up to date about how their doing a decade after that historic season.

I was only in my fourth-plus year of fandom so to me it was simply my team won, beat the Yankees in the ALCS and swept the Cardinals in the WS...that and little more. For most of you who back a generation or two or three this would have so much more significance for you, and that is stressed throughout the book. Personally my favorite of the three Red Sox World Series Champions was 2007 but I'm willing to bet most of you will pick the '04 team in an instant.

The most wistful part is the last chapter called "Idiot Exodus"----and it was exactly that. Within two years the 2004 infield was gone, three of the five starting pitchers were somewhere else and one of the starting outfielders was playing in enemy country. In fact a second OF, Trot Nixon, was seen less and less that season as he was constantly battling knee and shoulder injuries. Well I told you.....I did my good deed for the day. Now I hope the Red Sox do theirs.
    Last edited by seabeachfred; 06-27-2014 at 06:04 PM.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Behindenemylines View Post
    Yes, the 2013 Championship makes this season's losing easier to swallow. An you are also right that if the Sox lose 90 games and finish out of the playoffs the feelings of 2012 will start to return. The longer this season goes on it has become obvious that the 2013 Championship is one that the baseball gods gave us as payback for all of the years of suffering.
    6 WHOLE YEARS!!!! The horror!!!

The other thing to consider is that the Red Sox can be very flexible because of the cost of many of their players.

They could potentially be buyers in June/July, and if it doesn't stick, they can still be sellers on the waiver wire.

Peavy at $15 million, Drew at $10 million, Buchholz at 8 + 12 million, AJ at $10 million. Even trade targets like Alex Rios and Cuddyer are expensive enough that they can be passed through waivers and moved to the right teams for mid-value pieces.
    Wait. I don't understand. I realize that they have grossly overpaid some underperforming players. Exctly how does that make them 'flexible'? Who in the world would want these guys?

Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post
    Wait. I don't understand. I realize that they have grossly overpaid some underperforming players. Exctly how does that make them 'flexible'? Who in the world would want these guys?
    What don't you understand? Obviously any team that has a need for one of the positions mentioned or a pitcher. Even Drew has value.

Jettisoning payroll can create roster flexibility.

Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post
    There are two trade deadlines. One is the standard trade deadline, the other is the waiver trade deadline. After the trade deadline has passed, high salary players that are not claimed on waivers can still be traded -- That's how the Agon/Crawford/Beckett trade happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    What don't you understand? Obviously any team that has a need for one of the positions mentioned or a pitcher. Even Drew has value.

Jettisoning payroll can create roster flexibility.
    Oh ok. But you're really talking next year, right? I just can't see any team picking up a $10 Drew (they all had the opportunity to do this, and no one did), or a $15 mil Peavy. What you're saying is that the Sox can just get rid of them (even if it means paying some of this year's salary), and start again. So in that sense, yes, they can change their commitment from underperforming veterans to prospects (but it won't be free).