Register now to remove this ad

Thread: Yankees go nuts in INTL FA

Yankees go nuts in INTL FA

They came into the yr rumored to have agreed to an insane amount of players on the INTL market. mlb.com had them being the frontrunners for 11 of the top 30 on their list. The penalty will be a 100% lux tax and no signings over $300K for the next 2 yrs. Thus far...

The Yankees have signed:
    #2 prospect- 3B Nelson Gomez for $2.25 mil
    #16 prospect- Diego Castillo for $700K
    Hal sucks

If the Yankees are losing out on their 2015 and 2016 picks, they probably need to grab a couple more before it will be worth it. Let's see what happens.

Looks like it isn't just the Yanks. Apparently the Red Sox just snagged the best international pitcher available at 1.8 million.

They've signed 8 of the top 30 with 3 more in play
    Hal sucks

Make that 9, they're signing Emery tomorrow
    Hal sucks

I hope all of them flops.

Here's an update, and I am using the MLB.com listing for rankings...

1. Dermis Garcia- signed for $3.2 mil. He's a SS with a big frame, big raw power (65), and a big arm. He's getting comparisons with Twins top prospect Miguel Sano and a teenage ARod (before the roids). He could stay at SS or move to 3B
    2. Nelson Gomez- signed for $2.25mil. He's a BIG 3b already (6-2, 219lbs). He's a 60-60 hitter/power guy who is the best pure hitters in this IFA period. He's raw defensively at 3b, and if he fills out more, he's probably a 1b
    5. Juan Deleon- signed for $2mil. He's a 5 tool OFer with plus raw power and bat speed as well as good baserunning speed. He's "electric" per the report
    7. Jonathan Amundaray- signed for $1.5 mil. 5 tool Venezuelan OFer who is being compared to a young Raul Mondesi. Plus hit tool, good raw power and a cannon for an arm.
    9. Antonio Arias- signed for $1 mil. A projection selection, being compared to Cameron Maybin. Plus speed, 5 tool OFer who is really raw
    13. Hyo-jun Park- signed for undisclosed amount- plus defensive SS with solid hit tool. "Might hit 10HRs" per mlbtr. Not much power to speak of. Should stick at SS
    14. Wilkerman Garcia- signed for $1.35mil- solid defensive SS prospect who has a solid hit tool, but limited power.
    25. Miguel Flames- signed for $1 mil- One of the top catcher in this signing period, Flames is big for a 16 yr old with power projection and good defensive tools.
    29. Bryan Emery- likely to sign today for $2mil- Big 6'4" OFer with big power projection who is raw offensively. He's a top defender with solid speed and arm. He's another 5 tool guy

They also signed a pitcher from the Dominican for $300K who I have no report on.
    Hal sucks

While very irritated about the whole thing, this seems like a real coup for the Yankees. Very intelligent use of their resources, stockpiling top tier international prospects is no joke. Despite the fact that they pretty much announced the spending spree months ago, they seem to have caught the rest of baseball sleeping here, including the Red Sox. (Someone wake up Ben)

If I was a Red Sox exec, I would have simply taken the blows this year, and done the same thing next year without Yankee competition -- instead they picked up a few good players, but lost the next two years of picks regardless, and are stuck in the same international draft slot as the Yankees again in 2017. If the Red Sox were to try again, they probably couldn't do it unimpeded until 2018, with prospects not coming to the majors until the 2020s.

Pal, this is likely the last yr anyone can do this. Selig is trying to impose an INTL draft.
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Pal, this is likely the last yr anyone can do this. Selig is trying to impose an INTL draft.
    Selig only has a few months left before stepping down -- considering that he has wanted an international draft for years, I doubt he'll be able to push it through. I was digging into this, and it looks like that kind of change would only be made along with a new labor agreement -- which doesn't expire until 2016.

Selig imposed the IFA restrictions with a CBA in place. I was reading the Yankees director of scouting's interview on scout.com, and he outright said that the impetus for this move was because they think an INTL draft will be imposed either in 2015 or 2016.
    Hal sucks

What Selig is trying to do on his way out is legitimize the small market teams and energize their fan bases. Well, what he will do in the end is marginalize the big market clubs and eventually drive FA prices to insane heights. More people tune into MLB games when the big cities are good. And by "big cities" I mean big cities that care about baseball. LA is a gigantic city, yet their lust for baseball is pretty marginal. Baseball does better on the whole when Chicago, NY, and Boston are good. This yr, they aren't, and I am willing to bet that ratings have dropped
    Hal sucks

I would imagine baseball has suffered from the world cup this year. However, the Red Sox, Yankees, Giants are all up on per game attendance so far.

The White Sox and Cubs are down, but in all fairness, they suck and have sucked for a while.

The Yankees attendance is up because we spent big in the offseason and a lot of tix were bought before this shitshow started. Same with the Red Sox, coming off a WS.
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Palodios View Post
    I would imagine baseball has suffered from the world cup this year. However, the Red Sox, Yankees, Giants are all up on per game attendance so far.

The White Sox and Cubs are down, but in all fairness, they suck and have sucked for a while.
    Except when they play the Red Sox. We play the Pale Hose next BTW.