Register now to remove this ad

View Poll Results: Would you trade Bogaerts for Stanton?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

8 66.67%
  • No

4 33.33%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Would you Trade Xander Bogaerts for Giancarlo Stanton?

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    We are the Boston Red Sox not the KC Royals. We have the resources to sign him now and make him the centerpiece for the future.
    I understand that. But why would you trade Bogaerts for just 2 years of Stanton when you can just go pay for Stanton beginning in 2017? That's the question.

You want to trade Bogaerts for Tulo? I'm on board. But not for a guy who is hitting FA in only 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by SoxFanForsyth View Post
    I understand that. But why would you trade Bogaerts for just 2 years of Stanton when you can just go pay for Stanton beginning in 2017? That's the question.

You want to trade Bogaerts for Tulo? I'm on board. But not for a guy who is hitting FA in only 2 years.
    As I said earlier, I think Bogaerts for Stanton is an arguably good deal even if Bogaerts becomes a star. The trade would also eliminate the risk of Bogaerts being a bust.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
    1. Yes, trading Bogaerts for Stanton makes sense
    2. The position things matters a lot - and Bogaerts bull evaluation is based on being a SS. That's the tricky part of the evaluation - the Sox moved him to 3B because 3B was horrible for them and there were solutions at SS. But if his reality is as a 3B, things become trickier. Anyway, slump has been a problem - but not a reason to necessarily quit on a 21 year old. Sox have mishandled aspects of their kids all season - although some of it was well intentioned.
    That is true that it was based off being a SS. However, he is a below average fielder at both short and third as he already has 13 errors and a - 1.2 dwar. I know there is still plenty of time for him to become a better fielder on the left side of the infield, but the evaluation as a short stop goes right out the window if he cannot adequately field the position. If he can't field like an average ss or third basemen, you can't compare his power or hitting prowess to other short stops. Its like comparing david ortiz's power to other short stop's and saying that he has plus plus power for a short stop (thats an exaggeration).
    Last edited by BigPapi; 07-16-2014 at 02:39 PM.

Keep the farm. Let Vic come back and trade him once he's performing well again, trade Lester and koji for prospects, trade Buch if he can keep up his current streak and shows some value. DFA the shit out of Mujica. Keep Gomes and Nava for your bench. Only trade blocked prospects like Marerro. Build the team around Owens, Bogaerts, Betts, etc.

This is only if they do go into a selling scenario

Quote Originally Posted by SoxFanForsyth View Post

You and others assume that Bogaerts is going to be a star, maybe a superstar but what if he doesn't get much better? What if he continues to stink in clutch situations and keeps failing with runners on base and becomes even more error prone than he is now? It could happen. He wouldn't be the first highly rated player to become a lot less than was predicted for him. Stanton has already shown he has the goods and the power that would light up Fenway Park...a RH slugger personified.

Between his miserable hitting or lack of same with RISP, his fielding woes in the field and his sensitive nature (that was how the Red Sox described him, not me), we may yet have a star but we may also be stuck with a lemon. Stanton for Bogey, and a couple of others to me sounds like a deal we should make......if we really can.

The Sox are high on Marrero (AAA) who is better defensively at SS, and is starting to hit the ball. Though he will never hit like Bogaerts if he is going to be a productive major league SS then you would have to think about a Bogaerts / Stanton trade. The Sox have no power bats in the OF, and known on the way. To say no is not right, you have at least think about it.

The Sox have a farm that has exceptional talent on the left side of the IF. When I look at this trade, I solely base my decision with an offensive point of view due to the poor defense XB has displayed in his ML career thus far. I understand that XB is young and has an extremely high ceiling, yet so does Stanton at only 25 years of age. When you look at the past decade of teams that have won a championship, who (other than the Yankees) have had a stud offensive shortstop? I am taking the PROVEN talent of Stanton now, over the potential of XB. Its a risk I would feel more than comfortable taking. With the Monster only 310' away, I would project Stanton's numbers to get significantly better than they already are. Boston has more than enough room in their wallet to sign him long term so that does not worry me at all.
    R.I.P Rod Beck. You were the Kenny Powers of real life.

Quote Originally Posted by MJantomaso View Post
    The Sox have a farm that has exceptional talent on the left side of the IF. When I look at this trade, I solely base my decision with an offensive point of view due to the poor defense XB has displayed in his ML career thus far. I understand that XB is young and has an extremely high ceiling, yet so does Stanton at only 25 years of age. When you look at the past decade of teams that have won a championship, who (other than the Yankees) have had a stud offensive shortstop? I am taking the PROVEN talent of Stanton now, over the potential of XB. Its a risk I would feel more than comfortable taking. With the Monster only 310' away, I would project Stanton's numbers to get significantly better than they already are. Boston has more than enough room in their wallet to sign him long term so that does not worry me at all.
    Your right on the point. If you look at projected top short stops over the past 10 years who were top 10 prospects, a lot of the names on it scare you. In 2006, Brandon Wood was the top ss prospect and a scout touted him as the next Cal Ripken ( which obviously he isn't). The number 5 prospect in 2006 was Stephen Drew, who hasn't had a terrible career but hasn't been a superstar by any means. 2004 Kazuo Matsui, 2005 Joel Guzman, 2012 Jurickson Profar. Virtually all of the top 10 rated ss prospects in the last 10 years have underperformed and a good number of them aren't even serviceable players. Now I'm not saying Xander isn't going to be a good player, but why not take the proven talent over the unproven one? Also having Stanton only down for 2 years isn't a bad thing. If he produces like a superstart, I have faith the sox will resign him. If not, they can let him walk.
    Last edited by BigPapi; 07-17-2014 at 05:14 PM.

Trade for Stanton if you're going to go all-in and try for another championship. Don't just be the Mariners and waste all your money on a Cano without getting anyone else and miss the playoffs. It doesn't matter much if you improve from a last place team to a 3rd place team.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPapi View Post
    Your right on the point. If you look at projected top short stops over the past 10 years who were top 10 prospects, a lot of the names on it scare you. In 2006, Brandon Wood was the top ss prospect and a scout touted him as the next Cal Ripken ( which obviously he isn't). The number 5 prospect in 2006 was Stephen Drew, who hasn't had a terrible career but hasn't been a superstar by any means. 2004 Kazuo Matsui, 2005 Joel Guzman, 2012 Jurickson Profar. Virtually all of the top 10 rated ss prospects in the last 10 years have underperformed and a good number of them aren't even serviceable players. Now I'm not saying Xander isn't going to be a good player, but why not take the proven talent over the unproven one? Also having Stanton only down for 2 years isn't a bad thing. If he produces like a superstart, I have faith the sox will resign him. If not, they can let him walk.
    Great post. Brandon Wood was a huge power hitter in the minors, but couldn't make enough contact in the majors.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

I just traded Ryan Lavarnway, Mike Carp, and Jonathon Herrera for Giancarlo Stanton in MLB 14 The Show.

Quote Originally Posted by Navafan29 View Post
    I just traded Ryan Lavarnway, Mike Carp, and Jonathon Herrera for Giancarlo Stanton in MLB 14 The Show.
    That means that should work in real life right?

To keep it in perspective, from 2000 to 2012 ( I stopped at 2012 because any prospects younger than the harper are trout class are still too young to judge), 48.5 percent of the top 10 baseball prospects rated by baseball america have been all star's at least once, so recent history tells us that there is no guarantee top 10 prospects become all stars. For top two prospects, like xander was rated, 73 percent of them from 2000 to 2012 have been all stars.
    Last edited by BigPapi; 07-18-2014 at 05:26 PM.

At this point Miami would have to be so over whelmed to even think about trading Stanton. Marlins won't start thinking about dealing him until he gets closer to being a FA.