Register now to remove this ad

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Time to rebuild/reload

I think that the Sox can win 100 too. IF....

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Maybe 100 if everyone is healthy, Eovaldi turns the corner and the shift is removed.

I heard Girardi included spring training games in his win prediction total. Hal didn't know the difference. But that's just a rumor.

Quote Originally Posted by Ogden View Post
    I heard Girardi included spring training games in his win prediction total. Hal didn't know the difference. But that's just a rumor.
    Lol.

You will fit in here quite well!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    Lol.

You will fit in here quite well!!!

Francesa dropped that tidbit when he wasn't complaining about FoxSports1 pre-empting his TV simulcast so much.

Sabathia worked in the low 90s yesterday. Promising

I read that the Yankees plan to be under the luxury tax limit in two years. Ha! That plan lasted for one offseason last time, then panic set in, and the Yanks reverted back to what they know best.

It will be hard to stay ABOVE the $189 million as it stands right now. We have so much money coming off the books that we'd need to try and make asinine signings to stay above it. Think about it...

After 2016, Sabathia, Teixeira, and Beltran come off the books and depending on Tanaka's health, he might too. That's an AAV of $63 mil if Tanaka stays and $88 mil if he goes
    After 2017, ARod comes off the books as does Gardner. That's another $40 mil AAV

We are expected to have a salary figure of around $210 mil. After removing our #4 starter, bum 1b, bum DH/RF, bum Roid user, and good LFer, we would be down around $100 mil. I know we're gonna spend, but in the post roid age where FA's turn into pumpkins, you would be hard pressed to see NY go over that threshold without being fucking stupid, especially since our minor league system should be fucking loaded by then
    Hal sucks

My take on this is IF the Red Sox meander in the middle of the AL East pack this year and next the Yankees will be prudent and finally go on their economy of sound signings and development of the farm system. IF, OTOH, the Red Sox win a pennant or WS this year or next, all bets are off. We ought to know by now what the Yankees always do when the Red Sox win, and I think even an AL East title by us could get the New Yorkers to push the panic button. They cannot abide the Red Sox winning anything when they come up short......and I think most of us know that by now.

I see no reason to expect that the Yankees will show restraint if talent they feel that they need to win the division and more is available. This year there were not that many big ticket / impact players that they identified as needs available.

If they need pitching this July I see no reason why they will not simply make some deals. And if most of the decent free agent arms are available in the 2015 off season, they could snatch up whatever they want.

The Yankees have what should be a very good pen now. They need to get some offense and reliable pitching to get back to being dominant or at least competitive for a few years.

Of course this is just my opinion.

Spud, here is what I hope. I am hoping that we can actually have a true schism in the Yankee front office. I honestly think Cashman is the right man for the job. He was here when the Boss was around and George'd deal any prospect for a win now any day of the week. There was good reason, the old fuck was dying as it turned out. Now, they have two owners who are probably going to be alive for awhile. Hank has stepped to the background and Hal is the managing partner. That being said, with George out of the picture, we still had the ridiculous moves of signing ARod and Rafael Soriano, both of which Cashman was against. The problem is, agents have classically gone above Cashman to get a deal done. With the most recent contract negotiation, I think Cashman has finally wrested roster control from Andy Levine, something that should have happened years ago. Cash wants to get younger. And when you get younger, you usually get cheaper. I hope in the transition, we can stay competitive. We haven't had the young talent in our current rotation probably since well before the dynasty years. The problem with our young pitcher is they are all injury risks. We haven't had the immense depth in the farm system in years as well. And while the position player depth is a little light in AAA, we are starting to see a lot of solid prospects reach A, A+ and AA. The system is about to be very good for a very long time. But in order to get very good, you have to avoid dealing away every potential star for a flavor of the month. I hope we can get under the cap, not because I don't want us to cheap out, but because staying under the cap means we give some of the kids a chance. I think Cashman also sees the trend in major league baseball. In the roid era, careers were 15 years long or more. Now, after roids and greenies have been banned, the contracts are still being doled out as if guys can play into their late 30s, even though the guys are losing it 3-4 years earlier. So if we are over the cap after 2016, it is because we have returned to the errors of the past. And since we really started flexing our financial muscle (started with Mussina in 2001), we have one WS title to our name (2009). And looking 200 miles northeast, you see 3 titles, with the last two being generated significantly from guys developed in the system. And with teams having extra money due to revenue sharing, teams are locking up their own players until they are towards the end of their prime. So the guys on the market are either about to turn into shit or are gonna go for absolute top dollar. Those aren't the players you build a team around. So in short, I hope Cashman has the power, I hope he can retool quickly and then use his money wisely to turn this team from an aging behemoth to a juggernaut capable of dominating for years to come. If we are far over the cap after 2016, we are following in the errs of the past
    Hal sucks

Jackson, that's a good analysis although I don't share your enthusiasm for Cashman. They really need new blood running scouting and the farm system although it has been on the upswing the last year or two. Here's a Baseball America article from about 6 months ago addressing that.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/major...-major-revamp/

Cashman has been hamstrung with these contracts for years. Big splashes in the offseason and pretty significant fixes during the season. Last offseason saw us nab Tanaka which looks like a good move talent wise, but the signing of Ellsbury had mixed reviews and the first seasons of McCann and Beltran were pretty ugly. But what Cashman has done on the fly sets him apart IMO. He parlayed Solarte into Headley, dealt nothing for McCarthy, got Prado for an all power DH prospect who plays a little catcher and a few other moves which all actually worked out. I think Cash pushing the buttons is good for the org. Our minor league system need a revamp. I was glad to see Newman gone, but I wanted Oppenheimer out as well. Our first round draft picks have been abysmal over the past few seasons before 2013, and even though we did find value later in drafts, your top picks should have some success. I agree that I would have liked our minor league system to be run by an outsider, preferably one from STL or ATL as those places seem to always fill their squads with big league ready minor league talent on a yearly basis. That being said, what we did on the INTL stage is substantial. By signing 9-10 of the top 20 prospects coming out of the IFA period, we have pretty much created a wave which we should be able to ride once these kids start blossoming, which will likely take 3-4 years. And while our first round picks have mostly been abject failures from 07-12, the guys found after the first round have provided us with a multitude of options as they come of age. I think our farm actually has the talent. I just hope the new guy running it can get the most out of it

And Ogden, our first rounders had included guys like Cito Culver and injured players like Andrew Brackman. In 2013, it seemed like they topped their drafts with guys in the BA top 100 draft prospects and lo and behold, the three first rounders selected that year are all in our top 10 with the big guy, Judge, looking like a future all star. I think the system tried to be Belichickian in their drafting, finding diamonds in the rough rather than drafting best available with our top picks. I hope they learned their lesson

Excellent Post Doc.

I am not a Yankee fan by any means. However, I was used to seeing the Yankees being near the top and always competitive.

It will be interesting to see how they rebuild.