Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Lackey to the Cardinals

Lackey to the Cardinals

Joe Kelly / Allen Craig coming back.

What the fuck? Ben got fleeced here.

This is bad. Very very bad. I can't understand how bad this deal is.

Quote Originally Posted by Palodios View Post
    This is bad. Very very bad. I can't understand how bad this deal is.
    If craig can't regain form, it was a terrible deal. Allen craig has been shit.

Deity
    Fuck!!! U have got to be kidding me? Horrible trade!!

What the fuck. Ben. Dude. Come on.

Legend
    I suspect these aren't "Ben" trades.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPapi View Post
    If craig can't regain form, it was a terrible deal. Allen craig has been shit.
    Allen Craig is owed $25 million over the next three years. Joe Kelly recently was shelled by the Chicago Cubs and the Padres.

Lackey is a dominant #2 pitcher who will pitch for the minimum next year. The Red Sox are also giving someone else away with him.

What on earth happened? How? Why? This is the worst trade I've ever seen.

Imo this is a great deal. Kelly can start and relief pitch. Craig can be a fantastic hitter once he gets going. Surprised we didn't have to give up more for these two. If we play moneyball to get a starting rotation again (if that's even possible) we can win the division next year.

What the hell are we doing here. We have craig, victorino, nava, cespedes, jackie bradley jr and sometimes brock holt in the outfield now and now mookie can't come up?

Quote Originally Posted by Navafan29 View Post
    Imo this is a great deal. Kelly can start and relief pitch. Craig can be a fantastic hitter once he gets going. Surprised we didn't have to give up more for these two. If we play moneyball to get a starting rotation again (if that's even possible) we can win the division next year.
    I don't think there's much of a good way to make this trade look good. Cespedes I could kind of defend, but this trade no.

I am floored by this deal. I don't get it, my brain hurts just trying to comprehend why it was made. It makes me want to stop being a Red Sox fan, because this season went from awful to otherworldly bad.

Also, the Red Sox are sending the Cardinals money.

What is going on? Did Red Sox ownership make a deal with Cardinal ownership to throw the World Series? This deal is getting historically bad.

Deity
    Awful trade!!! I am getting flashbacks of a former gm or this is all lucchino.

This is a real head scratcher. I have no idea why this deal was done.

I think the Sox are very far off from being done "constructing" the future roster.

I just do not understand the way they are deconstructing it now!

Ironically, I actually see what Cherington is thinking here. I didn't want Craig for Lester, but Lackey is less valuable than Lester, and I see the point in going for a guy with utility on all 4 corners. And don't overlook Joe Kelly, he's looking like he might be a serviceable bottom of the rotation guy.

With Lester the argument always was that if the deal wasn't good enough you could pay him what he wanted and keep him for at least another 3-4 years. Lackey was never a guy with that kind of option, so trading him for a younger veteran and a half decent young pitcing prospect to flesh out the rotation actually works for me.

I mean this does mean Cespedes makes even less sense -- but don't be too surprised if the Red Sox turn Cespedes around before the deadline is over.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.