Register now to remove this ad

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: 2015 rotation?

Major Leaguer
    If the players can come together and stay healthy all year and start getting timely hits with a rotation that allows few runs then I see us going very far. I'm not sure what t he stats are but I'm know that this year we have lost a lot of close one or two runs games. When last year on our way to the championship they won those close games. I think wit more speed on the bases at the top and bottom of the lineup and having OFs that hit coupled with the bottom third of the lineup getting on base would help up win those close games. We have had injuries and the OFs obp is one of the most if not the worst in baseball an snow the bottom third of the lineup has been none existent most of the year.

I'm not saying ben has to break the bank on pitching but solid trades for top tier proven starting pitching is a must. We have the prospects it's time we take to pieces and make a t ta de to bring back aces. If ben wanted Sale and Hamels then he has the assets to get it done. But my fear is how Hamels would do in the AL east. Lester is a must to lead the staff next year. I still say he made this move to the A's after talking tobt he FO about bringing back elite talent to help for next year's squad.

Dupree, put the Kool-Aid down and jump back to reality. You need to pitch to "go far". Right now, the only guys on your roster who are staring at a rotation spot are....

1. De la Rosa- K rate not akin to a power pitcher, lots of walks of late, more hits than innings pitched. He has the stuff, but does he become a Doubront type pitcher or does he take the next step?
    2. Clay Buchholz- He pitched great tonight, but he's been pretty terrible all year long. Counting on him to be a key cog is concerning to say the least
    3. Joe Kelly- this guy is a reliever who isn't cut out for AL pitching.
    4. Alan Webster- I think he saw his shadow, he decided to hide
    5. Brandon Workman- guy is a beast in the pen, but sucks as a starter

The only player on your current roster who I can see being a good starter in 2015 is De la Rosa, because he has dominant stuff and has been inconsistent akin to most rookies. The other 4 are hot messes. Yes, I know you have Ranaudo and Owens in the minors, but neither of them are locks to produce or stay healthy in the bigs. You are going to need 3-4 starters off the trade or FA market to be good in 2015
    Hal sucks

Major Leaguer
    Maybe so 4 or 5 might be the move Ben makes. And I'll put the Kool aid down as soon as your boys quit ordering tons of pine tar to accent their necks. Also your team is in as big of need of starter pitching as we will be this offseason. Tanaka is your only sure thing.

Not sure if you watched Pineda last night, pine tar free as well. And Tanaka isn't a sure thing in 2015, as his elbow might require surgery. That being said, we've had some good work from Phelps and Greene this yr, enough to consider them depth if healthy. But you're right, we're gonna need at least one top tier acquisition and at least one back end one to stay competitive next yr

Also, it's never a good thing for the sox when their needs and the Yankees needs align in an offseason

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Also, it's never a good thing for the sox when their needs and the Yankees needs align in an offseason
    You are right about that. The Yankees will get their man, and this offseason, they may look for 2 pitchers. Who knows. There are only 3 big FA names out there: Lester, Scherzer and Shields.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Phillies are still selling Papelbon, and no takers for him, even though he is earning that closers high salaries. If they can eat half of it, I wouldn't hesitate to take him back at $6M yearly for the next 2. We can send them a piece like Webster/JBJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Station 13 View Post
    Phillies are still selling Papelbon, and no takers for him, even though he is earning that closers high salaries. If they can eat half of it, I wouldn't hesitate to take him back at $6M yearly for the next 2. We can send them a piece like Webster/JBJ.
    I don't disagree with this, but I don't think it'll happen. Not because of Paps's ability but because of potential clubhouse issues. The Sox probably regret the Pierzynski signing. As we know, Paps can ruffle feathers when he opens his mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I don't disagree with this, but I don't think it'll happen. Not because of Paps's ability but because of potential clubhouse issues. The Sox probably regret the Pierzynski signing. As we know, Paps can ruffle feathers when he opens his mouth.
    I really don't remember Paps having clubhouse issues with the Red Sox.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

I really don't remember Paps having clubhouse issues with the Red Sox.
    He's a firey guy. I seriously doubt he'd want to setup for Koji.

Quote Originally Posted by Palodios View Post
    He's a firey guy. I seriously doubt he'd want to setup for Koji.
    I don't see that sitting well with him.

I don't see the Phillies eating half of Pap's contract.

The idea of having him back is kind of neat. I doubt that it happens.

Besides, relief arms are abundant.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    I don't see the Phillies eating half of Pap's contract.

The idea of having him back is kind of neat. I doubt that it happens.

Besides, relief arms are abundant.
    Plus it looks like Workman's future is in the pen, and Webster's might be as well. In short stints these two may be productive arms out of the pen.