Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Manfred Mann is the new commissioner

I read this tweet on another site:

"From STATS LLC: 15,007 defensive shifts in 2014, up from 7,641 previous year. And the BABIP went UP, from .297 to .299. UP!"

That is quite an increase in shifts. Perhaps teams are beginning to overuse it?

I would like to know if that BABIP is for all batters, or only for batters that were shifted against.

Ortiz would hit .350 every year if he would just take some singles by hitting it to the left side occasionally lol

It's not that easy. It's really hard to slap it the other way if teams are pitching you soft inside below the hands, and that was the book on Ortiz (hard or soft below the hands) ever since he was in Minny. It's really hard to hit fastballs, and even more so soft stuff inside the other way.
    We miss you Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by User Name? View Post
    It's not that easy. It's really hard to slap it the other way if teams are pitching you soft inside below the hands, and that was the book on Ortiz (hard or soft below the hands) ever since he was in Minny. It's really hard to hit fastballs, and even more so soft stuff inside the other way.
    Yes, I always get a chuckle when people criticize Ortiz for not going the other way more against the shift. As if they know what it's like trying to hit major league fastballs and junk. I think the big fella does pretty good overall!

I have to confess that I have always wanted Ortiz to go to the opposite field more when he faces the shift. Of course, hitting singles or not hitting for power is not what he is paid to do.

I mentioned this during the 2014 season. I saw an interview with Prince Fielder who explained why it is so hard to just go the other way as an adjustment. As "U?" has said, there is a lot more to it that just casually plunking it to left.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    I have to confess that I have always wanted Ortiz to go to the opposite field more when he faces the shift. Of course, hitting singles or not hitting for power is not what he is paid to do.

I mentioned this during the 2014 season. I saw an interview with Prince Fielder who explained why it is so hard to just go the other way as an adjustment. As "U?" has said, there is a lot more to it that just casually plunking it to left.
    You know Spud, going to the opposite field does not mean going down the left field line. You can go to left center and still have a lot of room to deposit hits, and pitchers don't always have pinpoint control to keep the ball inside. Sometimes the harder they try to throw inside the more the ball angels towards the middle of the plate, and it you played ball I think you would recall some things along that order. No, it isn't always easy but it isn't as hard as some people here are making it out to be. Some of these hitters could learn to go to the opposite field inside outing the ball and some college coaches teach that as part of their learning program. Of course, they not coaching players who make millions and are making it because they don't hit singles to left field, but it can be done.

The people who actually do this for a living (I'm referring to Prince Fielder, Ortiz and Teixeira) speak about how hard it is, but you know better. Wow,
    We miss you Mike.

If it's so easy, why don't all hitters do it, i wonder?
    We miss you Mike.

If it's so easy, why don't all hitters do it, i wonder?
    Be nice. Fred has literally tought tens of left handed HS hitters to slap the ball directly to SS.

Fred I never said anything about going the other way meaning hitting it down the line.

Going the other way is a nice ability to have. But when a pitcher does not help you it is not so easy as Fielder and Ortiz have said.

It might not be so easy to go the other way, but these guys should be bunting more against the shift when there are no runners on. I don't remember the exact numbers, but it doesn't take that high a success rate for the batter to come out ahead by bunting for single.

Eventually, IMO, hitting to the opposite field will become a skill that will be emphasized more in the minors and the ability to hit to all fields will be a skill that GMs will focus more strongly on when acquiring players.

The people who actually do this for a living (I'm referring to Prince Fielder, Ortiz and Teixeira) speak about how hard it is, but you know better. Wow,
    I never said it was easy but it CAN be done with hard work and help from their hitting coaches. And you don't have to be a smart ass and make a snide remark about me knowing better. Ever read a book by Wally Moon, assuming you remember who that guy was? He came to the LA Bums in 1959, a left handed hitter and took aim at the Coliseum screen 251 feet away. This guy hit only 238 the year before for the Cardinals before they got rid of him, but he took advantage of his ability to go to the opposite field where he had learned from his first St. Louis manager, Eddie Stanky. He wound up hitting a dozen balls over that screen, hit 19 homers, hit 302 and led the Bums to a WS Title. Another words it FUCKING can be done because it has been done. You think Hank Aaron and Willy Mays pulled all their home runs? They had power to the opposite field when they loaded the right side against them. And yes, I do know something about it. I did coach baseball for 30 FUCKING years, players ranging from 13 and t hen up into the high teens and 20's, and I did know how to teach....and for the FUCKING record my teams in those 30 years won 87.4% of their FUCKING games. So yes, while I'm not expert I know the FUCK what I'm talking about. And for the record USER, just how much ball did you play, and how many years did you coach to question what I know or don't know?

You're being a smart ass again mvp It isn't easy to do.....no one is arguing that it is, but it can be done. Read what I wrote your "blood brother". It has been done successfully before, and I'm going to assume that you've played a lot of ball and maybe even coached a little.. Pitchers may throw inside but it doesn't always go where they wanted it to do. Ever heard of an inside pitching drifting back over the plate. Know what happens when that occurs, or often occurs? Often a gopher ball. Hitters do have trouble going to the opposite field unless they work hard on it, but it can be done. Think back, third game of the 2004 ALDS....bottom of the 10th, 6-6 tie ( or was sit 7-7?) Runner on first, lefty Washburn on the mound for the Angels and Papi at bat. Inside fastball to where? Over the left field wall for a game winning homer. Remember that? Or, how about Game Five, 2004 ALCS, bottom of the eighth, down 4-2, Papi again up against righty ? Gordon pitching. Ortiz get that inside pitch and hits it to the banner on very top of the left field wall---then fights an inside pitch off his fist in the 14th to drop a single to center to win the game, meaning you don't have to hit the inside pitch to left, you can hit it to center as well. Thanks for your attention.

"Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar
    So it's been a few years now, how do you think Manfred's doing as commissioner?
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.