Register now to remove this ad

View Poll Results: Who should our starting catcher be in 2015

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Vazquez. He won't hit, but he doesn't need to.

13 61.90%
  • Look for a free agent with some stick

4 19.05%
  • Hold pat, but don't give the job outright to Vazquez -- see what the farm kids do.

4 19.05%
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk catchers

Vasquez.

Vasquez.

Vasquez.

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    None of the guys you could bring in cheap are any better than Ross.
    D'oh

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    D'oh
    You couldn't resist, could you?

But the odd thing is that Hanigan is making over $4. mil/yr I believe. Whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    But the odd thing is that Hanigan is making over $4. mil/yr I believe. Whatever.
    Ross had a 2/6.2M contract. Depends on what your definition of cheap is. Hanigan's contract is close enough to Ross' to me.

Major Leaguer
    Hanigan for WMB is stupid in my opinion.
    WMB is worth more, dumb trade on Bens part.

That's a joke post right?
    We miss you Mike.

I think that it was a good trade for both teams. Because I think that I am more familiar with the Sox, I'd say that our team made out well.

I believe that Hanigan costs a little more but we will be getting a guy who can play twice as many games as Ross if called upon to do so.

I think Swihart is a year away. Not sure, though. That means only Butler is in the system to call up.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by dupree View Post
    Or not - traded a guy who was not going to play for one who would. Middlebrooks could become an average 3B, I have not quit on him. But stardom for him is pretty much dead.

Lol. Okay. I guess I'm confused.

Cubs To Sign David Ross
    By Jeff Todd [December 19, 2014 at 4:13pm CST]

The Cubs have agreed to a two-year, $5MM deal with catcher David Ross, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports on Twitter. Reports emerged earlier today suggesting that the veteran was headed to the Padres, but indications are that he is in fact set to join former teammate Jon Lester in Chicago.

Ross, a client of Sports One Athlete Management client, will add yet more veteran leadership behind the plate for the Cubs. He will slot in alongside the recently-acquired Miguel Montero, providing a right-handed-hitting complement. Chicago also added another former Red Sox backstop today in Ryan Lavarnway, who was added via waiver claim.

Before joining the Red Sox in 2013, Ross spent four years as the reserve option for the Braves. He slashed a robust .269/.353/.463, but never made more than 200 plate appearances in a given season. Ross has fallen back to a .650 OPS over the last two seasons in Boston, over 287 plate appearances. Defensively, Baseball Prospectus did not value Ross’s work very highly last year.

In the aggregate, then, there are plenty of questions about Ross’s abilities moving forward. But he does have a rather high established ceiling for a backup catcher, and obviously is one of the game’s most respected elder statesmen at this stage of his career.
    Last edited by Spudboy; 12-19-2014 at 08:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dupree View Post
    WMB had no value right now to anyone. After two down seasons the trade BC made filled a need for the Sox. He got a lefty hitting catcher that is good handling pitchers, throwing out runners, and is good defensively. Because of the improved lineup the Sox don't need a lot of hitting from the catching position, but they do need someone who going to keep their pitchers in the game. WMB's potential at some point has to turn into production, and with the Panda now at 3B it wasn't going to be in Boston.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    D'oh
    Not convinced that this counts as "cheap."

Probably is (slightly) better than Ross though, but we're talking about a catcher who has a combined OPS over the last 2 years of .605. Being not an offense guy is one thing, being a black hole is quite another
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Behindenemylines View Post
    He got a lefty hitting catcher.
    Ryan Hanigan? Former Tampa Bay Ray? Bats right throws right? That Ryan Hanigan?
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

I like the trade for Hanigan. Middlebrooks had little value, and now the Sox have two of the best pitch framers in baseball with Christian Vazquez and now Ryan Hanigan.

Interestingly, Hanigan has now replaced David Ross twice. He was called up to the majors in August of 2008, after David Ross was DFA by the Reds.
    "As long as the general population is passive, apathetic, diverted to consumerism or hatred of the vulnerable, then the powerful can do as they please, and those who survive will be left to contemplate the outcome." - Noam Chomsky

Just shows you how much Middlebrooks' value has bottomed out. He needs a fresh start somewhere else. The arrival of Sandoval meant the end of the Middlebrooks era.

At least Hanigan gives us some value defensively. Maybe... it might make Vazquez expendible if we plan on pairing Swihart with Hanigan in the near future. One young offensive catcher + 1 vet defensive catcher.