Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Sox Sign Hanley Ramirez

Red Sox Sign Hanley Ramirez

Presumably to play LF, with Cespedes clearly the big chip in a trade for a pitcher...

I like it.
    "It'll be all right. We just don't make it easy on ourselves. Down and out, and then POW! Sox Nation takes over." - Kevin Millar

Confirmed.!! I am okay with it. little more money then i would have liked, but Hanley is a bat i always wanted in our lineup.

"Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
    Presumably to play LF, with Cespedes clearly the big chip in a trade for a pitcher...
    Big money for a guy who has not played a single game in the OF so far as I can tell. I do know his penchant for laziness, so are we gonna see him lolligag after balls into the corner, a la Soriano?
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Star View Post
    Big money for a guy who has not played a single game in the OF so far as I can tell. I do know his penchant for laziness, so are we gonna see him lolligag after balls into the corner, a la Soriano?
    Ramirez comes with a helluva lot of baggage. Remember, he had soured himself with the Red Sox BEFORE he was traded, was a cancer in Florida despite two solid seasons there, and was pretty much shown the door in Los Angeles because of his proneness to injuries and his miserable fielding skills at short. We should have made Lester an offer he simply could not refuse. We blew it there and may pay for it for the next few years unless we get two top quality starting pitchers not named Santana, Hemmels, McCarthy or Masterson.

Quote Originally Posted by seabeachfred View Post
    We should have made Lester an offer he simply could not refuse. We blew it there and may pay for it for the next few years unless we get two top quality starting pitchers not named Santana, Hemmels, McCarthy or Masterson.
    Two different sources came out today saying the Red Sox are getting close on a Lester deal. Not today, but eventually. Wesley -- the leak from the Pablo/Hanley stories-- has a source saying the Red Sox have expressed willness to move their offer up to 140 million

I love this signing, Hanley should rake at Fenway if he can stay healthy and I've wanted this man back in Boston for a long time.. Where is he supposed to be playing though? I heard the OF? I guess a few guys will be moved along with Cespedes..
    Last edited by Jasonbay44; 11-24-2014 at 06:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Palodios View Post
    Two different sources came out today saying the Red Sox are getting close on a Lester deal. Not today, but eventually. Wesley -- the leak from the Pablo/Hanley stories-- has a source saying the Red Sox have expressed willness to move their offer up to 140 million
    That would do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Palodios View Post
    Damn it Pal, don't start getting my hopes too high!!!!! That would be wonderful news if it was true.....I'm just waiting and hoping the other shoe doesn't drop. If we do get Jon, and I'm still not believing we will, we're going to have to go over that luxury tax and we've been hell bent for leather not to go over that for the past half-dozen years or so.

seabeachfred, the Sox will trade Cespedes and his contract. They can sign Lester and trade for another #2 starter and still be under the luxury tax threshold.

The Sox have plenty of money available in 2016 and beyond not to worry about the the Lux tax. I agree that Cepedes won't be on the books come spring training.

Quote Originally Posted by seabeachfred View Post
    Damn it Pal, don't start getting my hopes too high!!!!! That would be wonderful news if it was true.....I'm just waiting and hoping the other shoe doesn't drop. If we do get Jon, and I'm still not believing we will, we're going to have to go over that luxury tax and we've been hell bent for leather not to go over that for the past half-dozen years or so.
    I would imagine that this organization prefers to spend 200 million on a winning team over 150 million on a losing one. One report coming in is saying that the Red Sox are giving a Lester a day or two to consider their offers, and then they're moving on to Scherzer.

I'm not too concerned about Hanley dogging it. There are plenty of guys on the Sox who can make sure he plays hard, including Big Papi, who I think I read somewhere is greatly respected by HanRam. No one on the Dodgers has the cache that Big Papi does - I think that's one of the issues with that team, a real lack of leadership in the clubhouse.

The Hanley dogging it meme is WAY overplayed. We remember the play where he jogged into LF to retrieve that one ball. Ok, that was YEARS ago. He will be fine here. Goodness, Ortiz practically walks to first base if he hits a grounder into the shift. Of course, he practically walks to first base when he hits one 450 feet to right center too. :-)

No interest in Scherzer at all from me. I dont see that arm aging well at all and he will be another Boras albatross.

Also fred, ownership stated recently that going over the LT this season wouldn't discourage them from the right player.