Register now to remove this ad

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: No longer a fan of the organization.

Dang, I missed a lot on this thread...!

Re: North End - most amazing sight for me, as someone who went to school in Boston, lived there for 5 years afterwards then left - going back, standing at the foot of Hanover St and turing around and seeing the skyline, not the Central Artery..... What a change. Oh, and I got engaged at Felicia's...

I, too, am of Italian descent, on my Dad's side - his parents came over in the early 1900's. OTOH, I am a WASP on my Mom's side, her ancestors having come over on the Mayflower (William White is my ancestor there).

I hate Larry Lucchino.

I've always been kind of partial to the Cubbies on the NL side, more so prior to 2004. Lately I've favored the Mets.

We used to go to a Mexican restaurant in Brighton called the El Phoenix Room, on Comm Ave. It closed a few years ago. Great food and buckets of Rolling Rock on ice. Love good, authentic Mexican food. I was in Mexico City in 200 and ate very well.

Quote Originally Posted by GomesBeard View Post

Re: North End - most amazing sight for me, as someone who went to school in Boston, lived there for 5 years afterwards then left - going back, standing at the foot of Hanover St and turing around and seeing the skyline, not the Central Artery..... What a change. Oh, and I got engaged at Felicia's...

I, too, am of Italian descent, on my Dad's side - his parents came over in the early 1900's. OTOH, I am a WASP on my Mom's side, her ancestors having come over on the Mayflower (William White is my ancestor there).

I hate Larry Lucchino.

I've always been kind of partial to the Cubbies on the NL side, more so prior to 2004. Lately I've favored the Mets.

We used to go to a Mexican restaurant in Brighton called the El Phoenix Room, on Comm Ave. It closed a few years ago. Great food and buckets of Rolling Rock on ice. Love good, authentic Mexican food. I was in Mexico City in 200 and ate very well.
    Is your family included in the Social Register?
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by MJantomaso View Post
    I'm full of surprises MJ. Wait until I get my Mandolin and I'll join you.

I hate Larry Lucchino.

I married a WASP----for some reason WASPS and Dagos make a great combination in matrimony, and you have to give my lady full credit because she has put up with my strange personality for 44 years. As for the Cubs, I mentioned yesterday that I took trips to Boston and Chicago t his past season and two seasons in a row before that. Yes, I watch the Cubs on WGN and pretty much like them better than any other NL team, but if push came to shove no Red Sox fan would root for them over our team, no way. Speaking of those two clubs, it would be a boon for baseball if Boston and Chicago met in a WS. I think it would be a really solid shot in the arm for the game. The last time they met? 1918---no longer a indictment of our team.

I hate Larry Lucchino.

The El Phoenix was outstanding Tex-Mex. Back in the mid to late 70's my friends and I would go there every payday for dinner. The Cheese and Pepper Nachos were great. Not very Mexican being made of Land O Lakes white American cheese and peperocini peppers but they were very tasty dipped in the hot sauce ( almost entirely composed of crushed red peppers ). You are correct. Bottled Rolling Rock ice cold seemed to be the house drink at least when eating food. The Chilli Cheese Enchiladas were my first taste of good Tex-Mex and to this day remain my standard for it's ilk.

The atmosphere was very casual. The upper room was the dinning room. It was usually very noisy with patrons talking very loudly about all sorts of stuff and of course the Juke Box which was controlled by selections at each table. I think I must have heard Lola ( Kinks ), Wild Side ( Lou Reed ), and Sympathy For The Devil ( Stones ) hundred of times while dining there.

It was great stoner food and atmosphere. Of course Parking was a hassle on Com Ave.!

I really miss that place.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Is your family included in the Social Register?
    Not at the El Phoenix Room, no.....

Three championships in ten years. I'll take that every day. As much as I wanted Lester back, we all know these huge long term contracts never work out. Even with Lester the Cubs' kids are not ready to win yet. I could see where when they are ready to dominate the National League Lester will no longer be their ace. I think the changes the Sox have made this winter and that no team in the AL East is looking dominate they should be able to compete for a spot in the playoffs.