Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What can Joe Kelly become?

This is what I'm thinking as well

Kelly is a cost friendly option under long years of control. He has a high ceiling and a good arm, I think he should stick around for awhile, but it's possible he could be traded again. The only thing that really scares me about this guy is his low K/9 and his high FIP.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    2014 is now last season. His 1.74 ERA was 2 seasons ago.
    ... And over less than half a season. 108 innings of 1.74 ERA would be great out of the bullpen, but for a starter, that's a lot of starts picked up by lesser arms because the dude makes you choose between "healthy" and "effective."

Count on nothing from Buchholz. Nothing.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

He can become Kelly Joseph if he walks into the wrong operating room.
    Last edited by pruneface; 12-13-2014 at 10:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    ... And over less than half a season. 108 innings of 1.74 ERA would be great out of the bullpen, but for a starter, that's a lot of starts picked up by lesser arms because the dude makes you choose between "healthy" and "effective."

Count on nothing from Buchholz. Nothing.
    Yep. Anything he gives us would be a bonus.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Kelly is scary because he doesn't strike guys out and walk them far too frequently. You can have a near 4BB/9IP if you are mowing down hitters as well. But if you're a contact guy who walks a lot of batters, you're in trouble.
    Hal sucks

Kelly has the tools to be a very good starter, but has yet to fully show them. He could be in the Sox opening day starter rotation, or if the Sox do make a trade for a true number 1 he could be one of the pieces going back.

Yep. Anything he {Bucholtz} gives us would be a bonus.
    The problem is, I think they Sox have higher expectations than 'nothing'.... And by making that assumpption, allows them to think they have enough starting pitching...

Quote Originally Posted by GomesBeard View Post
    The problem is, I think they Sox have higher expectations than 'nothing'.... And by making that assumpption, allows them to think they have enough starting pitching...
    But you and I know better, don't we GB? As Dojii said some time back---EXPECT NOTHING FROM BUCHHOLZ....NOTHING!!!!!! In other words we don't have enough starting pitching and I'm hoping no one on this board is drinking Cherington's Kool Aid believing we do. We need that No. 1 guy and could use a good No. 2 man as well.

Deity
    It's turning in to a crude joke. I am beginning to think that people truly think that this current team will be competitive in the long haul. Why? Starting pitching is not there currently. End of story. Do people think that this team's hitting is going to carry them. I don't think so. Negative comment on my part but based on history it is called reality.
    I will spare you any future abuse. I have suffered through some rather lean years but for most of them I had a little hope. In the gm of basketball, if you have the best player you always have a chance to win. At this time, for the right deal, I would trade any member of this current team. I do not believe that we have the beat player at any position. Do people think that this team looks good because everybody else just sucks?

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    It's turning in to a crude joke. I am beginning to think that people truly think that this current team will be competitive in the long haul. Why? Starting pitching is not there currently. End of story. Do people think that this team's hitting is going to carry them. I don't think so. Negative comment on my part but based on history it is called reality.
    I will spare you any future abuse. I have suffered through some rather lean years but for most of them I had a little hope. In the gm of basketball, if you have the best player you always have a chance to win. At this time, for the right deal, I would trade any member of this current team. I do not believe that we have the beat player at any position. Do people think that this team looks good because everybody else just sucks?
    The thought that the current configuration of our starting staff can yield consistent success is wishful thinking at best. Porcello can be a solid #3 with a ceiling of a #2 if our IF fielding is top shelf. With the rest, we have a pair of 4's and 5's. If Buch comes out of the gate 11-0 like in 2013,that would be a game-changer, but why would they let a whole season ride on such a crapshoot? Maybe Masterson is healed and regains his velocity. If he does, he is a solid #3, but again, what we get from him will be unpredictable. A top guy is needed. We have the money. He needs to get a number one. It is as simple as that. This offense is much improved, but it will not be a wrecking crew like the 2003-2007 teams. We will need to consistently bludgeon peple with this pitching. That is always hard to do, and we don't have that kind of deep lineup.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Deity
    I agree with you! We aren't talking yaz, Evans, Fisk, lynn, rice and the rest of the boys here. I would pleasantly be surprised if this team becomes a bludgeoner. I realize I am on a bit of a rant tonight but I really feel like we are all expected to think that we are just loaded up and ready to go. Average, average, average! Give them all coaches awards and call it good. They participated - they get an award!

Sox need a number 1. No one is disputing that. Whatever is making anyone here think that others are arguing otherwise is creating that argument out of thin air. Now, people giving reasons as to why the fo may decide to go with the current rotation is an entirely different argument, and it's the one actually being presented.
    We miss you Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by User Name? View Post
    Sox need a number 1. No one is disputing that. Whatever is making anyone here think that others are arguing otherwise is creating that argument out of thin air. Now, people giving reasons as to why the fo may decide to go with the current rotation is an entirely different argument, and it's the one actually being presented.
    The closest reasoning I've seen has been "the AL East sucks, they could contend with this pitching staff in the regular season."

I'm not sure anyone is getting ready for the duckboats yet. This isn't that kind of team right now.

Deity
    My take on this thread is that many of the current posters are somewhat satisfied with the current pitching staff composition. The discussion did drift a bit as to what type of lineup it would take to support their potential staff . That lineup does not exist at this time. With respect to Joe Kelly, I am fine with his potential but projecting him to be more than a solid 3 much like the rest of this staff isn't being fair to him.