Register now to remove this ad

Thread: Prado dealt to Marlins

Prado dealt to Marlins

Holy shit? We pick up Nathan Eovaldi?
    Hal sucks

He's 24, has been pretty decidedly average in Florida yet has outstanding stuff. Kid sits 95.5-95.9 with his fastball per fangraphs. This is definitely a "look towards the future" kind of move
    Hal sucks

We gave up Prado, probably our starting 2b, and our current #5 starter for a kid with more upside in the rotation and a lefty bat with power. I could like the deal depending on if Eovaldi can become the player his stuff dictates it could be. I liked Prado a lot. Looks like Refsnyder is getting his chance
    Hal sucks

Yanks also giving up Phelps. Wasn't he in the rotation? Maybe they are gearing up for a big money acquisition.

With all the health ? the Yanks have I think Prado will be missed this year. After that it could look ok depending on Eovaldi's progression. He was ML leader in hits last season so he has a lot of work. But having the big FB is a leg up. Can't teach that.

This is definitely not a 2015 move. Phelps was an injury risk, but he was a decidedly middling rotation option. His stuff wasn't outrageous, but he got by with movement and location. Eovaldi is a power guy, 24 yrs old with a 95+ mph fastball and intermittently plus secondary pitches. He doesn't walk guys and doesn't give up the big homer, but he gets hit around a lot. This Eovaldi kid needs a few seasons before he either reaches his potential or becomes Edwin Jackson. I like the move from an asset acquisition perspective, but I liked Prado a lot. This does shed about $8 mil in cash from our allotment this yr and a bigger chunk in 2016. This also means that we'll be going internally at 2b, which is something we should have done from the start last yr. Pirela and Refsnyder both hit .300+ in AAA last yr. If we aren't gonna promote the guys who mash, we might as well not even own a AAA club.
    Hal sucks

Also, this is a kick in the shorts for Tex. They just brought on his replacement if he doesn't hit. Jones has big power but limited everything else.
    Hal sucks

We also get 22 yr old RHP Domingo German in the deal. Throws up to 95, nice slider and change, good control. Should be in High A or AA to start the yr. This is definitely not a deal for now
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    We also get 22 yr old RHP Domingo German in the deal. Throws up to 95, nice slider and change, good control. Should be in High A or AA to start the yr. This is definitely not a deal for now
    They could be setting up a deal for now tho. What were they at payroll wise? I thought they had some room and now an extra 8M might be enough for them to get Scherzer and not spend more then the 215M someone mentioned earlier? Or they really could be standing pat for the next season or 2 and letting the dead weight fall off before going big again. If they hold out the next year or 2 they will be able to basically get anyone they want for the next 5 years or so lol

The best part of that deal for the Yankees IMO will be Garrett Jones. He'll play well in Yankee Stadium.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by BSN07 View Post
    They could be setting up a deal for now tho. What were they at payroll wise? I thought they had some room and now an extra 8M might be enough for them to get Scherzer and not spend more then the 215M someone mentioned earlier? Or they really could be standing pat for the next season or 2 and letting the dead weight fall off before going big again. If they hold out the next year or 2 they will be able to basically get anyone they want for the next 5 years or so lol
    I'd be surprised if the Yankees are going to wait two years for anything. Thay at least must appear that they are building a team to compete in 2015. Just my opinion.

All-Star
    Wasn't a Phelps fan and I thought he was expendable, but I really liked Prado and was looking forward to seeing a full year of him. Yankees still have a very high payroll, RAB puts them at 232 before this deal, so we probbaly saved $5 million. Two lottery tickets for Prado, I'm kind of meh to that. Basically phelps for jones imo then

I'm glad to see Prado leave because I want them to have another hole at 2nd base. I like what he brought to the field.

Ha! They're paying 6 million to get rid of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Palodios View Post
    Ha! They're paying 6 million to get rid of him.
    Good!