Register now to remove this ad

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Let the Swihart watch begin

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    He only disappears when his Pollyanna predictions blow up in his face. He doesn't stick around to take the beatings that he has coming to him even though he freely dishes it out when others are wrong. His excuse is that his life got busy. Of course that only happens when his predictions are crumbling.

Lastly, it is no coincidence that this place is strife-free and the discourse is very civil when he goes into hiding. The lack of flame wars when he is gone is not a mere coincidence. The ignore feature works great for me. I urge others to use it.
    700 and Fred - I am going to have fun with this. I know that there are some fine people and great fans who post here. I do need this outlet right now. Like I said - coached for a long long time. This is the first time I have felt retired and I truly miss everything about the game. Baseball, football, golf, track and of course basketball over the years. I am a baseball/basketball guy though. I miss the practices, the strategy, the games, and mostly the kids. It is amazing how young working with talented athletes can make you feel. I think that I will miss their foolish humor more than anything. Oh well- Spring training starts, I am quite close to Lakeland. I will hop up to see the Tigers for something to do. Fort Myers is quite a ways away. I wish they had stayed in Winter Haven. 15 minutes from where I am. A lot more $ on the coasts though. Happy New Year boys.

He only disappears when his Pollyanna predictions blow up in his face. He doesn't stick around to take the beatings that he has coming to him even though he freely dishes it out when others are wrong. His excuse is that his life got busy. Of course that only happens when his predictions are crumbling.

Lastly, it is no coincidence that this place is strife-free and the discourse is very civil when he goes into hiding. The lack of flame wars when he is gone is not a mere coincidence. The ignore feature works great for me. I urge others to use it.
    Very good point Ted......We had all been getting along rather well, and when we disagreed it was pretty civil. I did make the mistake of going off on someone when I took something very personal that wasn't that so at all and I had to personally apologize to the guy for acting like a total ass. Aside from that we all seem to get on ok. I know that mvp likes to push my buttons but I know it is not malice intended. With Luser and one other poster who also disappeared late last season, it was always personal and nasty. I guess one way for this forum to hum unity would be if our team could rally big time and come back a winner this year. I think all of us would be in sync with that. Happy New Year my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    700 and Fred - I am going to have fun with this. I know that there are some fine people and great fans who post here. I do need this outlet right now. Like I said - coached for a long long time. This is the first time I have felt retired and I truly miss everything about the game. Baseball, football, golf, track and of course basketball over the years. I am a baseball/basketball guy though. I miss the practices, the strategy, the games, and mostly the kids. It is amazing how young working with talented athletes can make you feel. I think that I will miss their foolish humor more than anything. Oh well- Spring training starts, I am quite close to Lakeland. I will hop up to see the Tigers for something to do. Fort Myers is quite a ways away. I wish they had stayed in Winter Haven. 15 minutes from where I am. A lot more $ on the coasts though. Happy New Year boys.
    You just stay on this board and don't dare leave it. It is nice to know that I can share insights and ideas from someone who has been in the arena and knows all facets of what makes for a successful program and individual player. That is why Ted and I hit it off so well from the start. He is up to date on things but old school enough to know that there is no one right answer to anything. Everything has to be scrutinized. I have gotten into this cybermetrics game the past two or three seasons but know that is not a cure all to understand the workings of how a team plays or why they do or don't succeed. What I think we must all strive to do is listen to the other side out of respect with the caveat that they will do the same with us. Most importantly, when we're wrong we admit it freely instead of circling the wagons or fleeing the scene. Good to have you here. BTW, take Ted's advice. Try and get down to Fort Myers for a short ST vacation. I went there in 2006 and 2007 and had a great time.

Deity
    I am going to stay on this board. You do what we did one thing that you realize is that there are many ways to get a job done and if you take the time to listen you never know what you might learn or from whom you might learn it. When I first started posting, I just wanted to be a part of a group that shared a common interest and a love of mine. Never meant to make any personal attacks against anyone. But I, just like you, have a tendency to react when I sense nastiness. I don't care if someone disagrees with me. Normally that is how I learn. I did take your friend's advice by the way and it is good to be here. Always look forward to your posts.

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    I am going to stay on this board. You do what we did one thing that you realize is that there are many ways to get a job done and if you take the time to listen you never know what you might learn or from whom you might learn it. When I first started posting, I just wanted to be a part of a group that shared a common interest and a love of mine. Never meant to make any personal attacks against anyone. But I, just like you, have a tendency to react when I sense nastiness. I don't care if someone disagrees with me. Normally that is how I learn. I did take your friend's advice by the way and it is good to be here. Always look forward to your posts.
    Your experience when joining Talksox is sort of similar to my own. I joined for the same reasons as you. At the time there were many very young and immature people on board who would say anything to anyone at any time. No filter at all. No regard for who they may offend or hurt. I did not understand how people could interact this way as it is counter intuitive and 180 away from how I was raised. I got crapped on many times in my first few months. I am not saying that this is normal or that you should have to endure the same foolishness. I guess to some extent this is what happens on the internet. Although that does not make it right.

Naturally you will come to be more comfortable with some posters and possibly become irritated with others. I say stick around and say what you have to say. Just be aware that if you happen to say anything at all about the game that you can not substantiate with facts and stats it is very likely that your post will be called out by someone.

I see this as helpful sometimes as I learn. But other times I see it as some ass-hat trying to compensate for his own insecurities and small penis.

Whatever.

Welcome to Talksox.

Deity
    Very , very helpful post for me. I felt exactly as you did. since I had my little spat, I have realized that there are some really nice people on this board. I have always believed that if everybody agreed with me all the time, I would never learn anything. Your last paragraph. is a beauty. Probably just like you, I wasn't raised to quit when things got tough or even nasty. Just time to keep grinding. Thank you - this is going to be fun!

Swihart is MLB.com's #1 catching prospect for 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by Palodios View Post
    Swihart is MLB.com's #1 catching prospect for 2015.
    We must NOT lose this guy.....no way, no how.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    Just be aware that if you happen to say anything at all about the game that you can not substantiate with facts and stats it is very likely that your post will be called out by someone.

I see this as helpful sometimes as I learn. But other times I see it as some ass-hat trying to compensate for his own insecurities and small penis.

Baseball is a very numbers driven game. Much more so than other sports. IMO, you need stats, and in particular, the saberstats, to tell the whole story. Also IMO, when someone says "I don't need stats, I know what my eyes see", that is a cop out on so many levels.

And FTR, I do not have a small penis.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Baseball is a very numbers driven game. Much more so than other sports. IMO, you need stats, and in particular, the saberstats, to tell the whole story. Also IMO, when someone says "I don't need stats, I know what my eyes see", that is a cop out on so many levels.

And FTR, I do not have a small penis.
    GOOD!!!

And you seemed to have missed my point.

And, access to stats does not assure than anyone's opinion will be accurate or valid.

But it sure beats flinging shit at the wall.
    We miss you Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    GOOD!!!

And you seemed to have missed my point.

And, access to stats does not assure than anyone's opinion will be accurate or valid.

Maybe I missed your point. I just think that if you're going to make some claims, you should be able to back them up. I don't mean you personally, but you in the general sense. Maybe that doesn't always mean with stats, but I think it usually does.

For instance, if someone claims that Jeter was a decent defender, I'm going to disprove that with stats. He was horrible defensively. The response I usually get is something along the lines of "why don't you try watching a game sometime?". Sorry, but I have to call BS on that.

Quote Originally Posted by User Name? View Post
    But it sure beats flinging shit at the wall.

LOL

Much more direct and to the point than my response.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    LOL

Much more direct and to the point than my response.
    That's the problem a lot of people have with me. They mistake my bluntness with aggression, when honestly, i'm usually laughing at some of the stuff the old timers here come up with. Not Spud though, he's nothing if not consistent and coherent.
    We miss you Mike.

I follow the Vin Scully philosophy of stats.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."