Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Let the Swihart watch begin

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    But they're really not. In the age of the defensive catcher, having a defense first catcher isn't exactly mold breaking. Maybe his defense and framing are a tick better than most, but how much is that worth when he's probably gonna hit .200 as a regular? The goal is to stand tall amongst the competition, not shrink down to them. I think Vazquez is a good backup, the kind of guy a single pitcher on your staff gets comfortable with and gets him every turn. Hanigan is gonna be your starting catcher this season.
    I was with you til the last bit. No way Hanigan is the starter. No way. This season will be a showcase for Vazquez for better or worse. Hanigan is Ross 2.0

Your starting catcher in September will be Swihart.
    I think it be great to see him, but from what I read 2015 seems a bit early.

I am just gonna throw this out there. Hanigan flourished in a hitters park in Cincy until 2013 when the wheels fell off the bus. Last yr, he was in TB where offense goes to die. I bet you he starts the year as a time share candidate with Vazquez. Once they figure out that they're gonna need more offense since their pitching staff sucks ass, they'll go with the hotter hitter, and that will be Hanigan. Also, Hanigan is on a one year deal. If the sox are middling or bad this yr and are looking to sell off parts, they won't be moving Vasquez, they'll move Hanigan. My guess is that Hanigan is moved before the July 31st waiver period and a AAAA guy will come up to caddy for Vasquez until the MiLB season is over. Then Swihart will come up
    Hal sucks

And the reason I believe this is because Hanigan is a good defensive catcher. This isn't a Posada and Girardi kind of veteran and kid relationship. You're gonna have two defensive minded players out there and the one with the best bat will play the lion's share until the sox either see they're in it or fall out of it completely. I know everyone wants to groom Vasquez, but the fan base wont support that if Hanigan is reaching base 35% of the time and Vasquez is puttering around the Mendoza line
    Hal sucks

I am just gonna throw this out there. Hanigan flourished in a hitters park in Cincy until 2013 when the wheels fell off the bus. Last yr, he was in TB where offense goes to die. I bet you he starts the year as a time share candidate with Vazquez. Once they figure out that they're gonna need more offense since their pitching staff sucks ass, they'll go with the hotter hitter, and that will be Hanigan. Also, Hanigan is on a one year deal. If the sox are middling or bad this yr and are looking to sell off parts, they won't be moving Vasquez, they'll move Hanigan. My guess is that Hanigan is moved before the July 31st waiver period and a AAAA guy will come up to caddy for Vasquez until the MiLB season is over. Then Swihart will come up
    Hanigan is signed through 2016.

And the reason I believe this is because Hanigan is a good defensive catcher. This isn't a Posada and Girardi kind of veteran and kid relationship. You're gonna have two defensive minded players out there and the one with the best bat will play the lion's share until the sox either see they're in it or fall out of it completely. I know everyone wants to groom Vasquez, but the fan base wont support that if Hanigan is reaching base 35% of the time and Vasquez is puttering around the Mendoza line
    Vazquez hit .275 in AAA ball and .240 in his MLB stint. I think he can muster a .235-.240 average.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Vazquez hit .275 in AAA ball and .240 in his MLB stint. I think he can muster a .235-.240 average.
    Me too. He may not be at or above league average in BA but I don't see him as Mendoza or below except for short slumps. Who came up with the idea that Vasquez can not hit?

Obviously his offensive numbers are looked at differently because Swihart is in the picture with gobs of promise ( supposedly ).

Vazquez seemed like he always got a big hit with runners on base.

I looked it up -- he had a .733 OPS with runners on, .773 with RISP, .872 with RISP and 2 outs, and 1.250 with the bases loaded. I'm fine with him being in the 9 spot if he makes the staff better.

Deity
    Great irony. Most of you could live with a great defensive catcher who can't hit his weight but see it differently with respect to the ss position. I don't! Up the middle, fielding has to be first. 2,4,6,8!

Because c has a greater impact in overall run prevention and a ss's deficiencies can be covered by the overall quality of the rest of the infield. Bogaerts is also 22 with the possibility of defensive improvement and superstar offensive potential. There is no irony, it's common sense.
    We miss you Mike.

UN, I don't ascribe to your deficiencies of the SS being covered by good guys around him. It isn't like Panda is gonna get to the balls Bogaerts cannot get to and it isn't as if he's gonna make the throws for him. SS is a critically important position defensively. If you have a minus SS defensively, you better get impressive offensive production to make up for it. Trust me dude, I have seen some pretty slick defenders alongside Jeter. It didn't help when the ball in the hole or up the middle should have been snagged and wasn't. The thing Jeter had over most of these guys is that he fielded nearly everything that was hit to him. And the .300+BA didn't hurt. Once Jeter couldn't hit anymore, he was an anchor dragging us way the fuck down. Bogaerts does have the chance to improve, but he has a big mans body and will likely fill in over time. That being said, if he fills out and hits like he was projected to, you wont care about his defensive inefficiencies
    Hal sucks

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by User Name? View Post
    Because c has a greater impact in overall run prevention and a ss's deficiencies can be covered by the overall quality of the rest of the infield. Bogaerts is also 22 with the possibility of defensive improvement and superstar offensive potential. There is no irony, it's common sense.
    Hopefully no one questions the need to be strong up the middle defensively. If you think our third baseman is going to help Bogaerts out with that ball in the hole, I want some of what you are drinking. A good catcher's strength is closely followed by a solid shortstop. Once again, I find it quite ironic that some don't recognize that fact. I can't say that that is my opinion because it is simply a fact.

It's pretty hard to cover for a bad SS. The quality of the SS makes or breaks your IF defense. If your SS stinks, you need big strikeout pitchers, not a bunch of sinkerballers.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

It's pretty hard to cover for a bad SS. The quality of the SS makes or breaks your IF defense. If your SS stinks, you need big strikeout pitchers, not a bunch of sinkerballers.
    Hopefully XB improves his glove otherwise our "GB" pitchers could have a loooooong season.
    Tiburones Rojos de Veracruz & Boston Red Sox

In the words of Don Corleone when he slaps a crying Johnny Fontaine: "Act like a man!" No, offense ladies.

Yup.

I have been critical of XB's defense noting his footwork and range to his left as deficiencies. He is below average defensively in my book. However, I can see him playing nearly well enough that he will not be a dramatic shortcoming for the Sox.

Also, I do not buy into the idea that IF he has big offensive numbers that his defensive shortcomings would somehow be negated. He has to improve both parts of his game to be a good player. He is still very young so If he has the desire and the determination to work hard I see no reason that he won't achieve success eventually.

I still think he will eventually be a 1st baseman. He has the body for it and he will not have the demands on his arm there.