Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Let the Swihart watch begin

Let the Swihart watch begin

With the Sox trading for Hanigan to be the lefty hitting backup to Vazquez it looks like the Sox are now set to wait for when Swihart is ready. When does anyone think we will see Swihart in Boston?

They are going to wait until one of their current catchers gets hurt, or starts being ineffective. There are enough good qualities in the Vazquez/Hannigan that I doubt they'll rush another young prospect here.

He has very few games under his belt in AAA. I hope that he stays there for the entire 2015 and then gets a crack if ready in 2016.

Of course he may tear it up in Pawtucket and convince the FO that he is ready at some point this season ( 2015 ).

I think that they should give him some time at 1st base. That would seem prudent given the current MLB roster and his projected greatness with the bat.

Unless he implodes in 2015, he should get a chance to crack the roster in 2016. If Vasquez blows up in 2015 and Swihart is doing well in AAA he could get his shot after the first half of 2015. If Hanigan or Vasquez hit the DL, Swihart could come up for a short stint in 2015.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Unless he implodes in 2015, he should get a chance to crack the roster in 2016. If Vasquez blows up in 2015 and Swihart is doing well in AAA he could get his shot after the first half of 2015. If Hanigan or Vasquez hit the DL, Swihart could come up for a short stint in 2015.
    If some guys we're counting on in 2015 pull a Bogaerts, Middlebrooks or, God forbid, a Bradley, and Vasquez proves to be the poor hitter that he is, Blake could find himself behind the plate buy the middle of 2015. Ideally, it would be great to see him get a full season at Pawtucket, hit well there and crack the lineup in 2016. He and Betts are two prospects we must keep at all costs.

He's a catcher. You try your best to grow him and go slowly with him if he is to stick at the position
    Hal sucks

If Vasquez is batting .190, I'd still want him starting 100 games. He needs the experience. His bat is not his priority right now. We'll see if he grows into a .250 hitter.

Vazquez is your future backup. I know there is a lot of helium on him, but the league is flush with defensive catchers who cannot hit. Swihart and Sanchez from NY are true offensive difference makers in the making. These guys are rare.
    Hal sucks

I'm not at all worried about Vazquez's hitting. He has a solid K/BB rate and he makes contact. His defense and framing is elite.

Quote Originally Posted by Station 13 View Post
    I'm not at all worried about Vazquez's hitting. He has a solid K/BB rate and he makes contact. His defense and framing is elite.
    But they're really not. In the age of the defensive catcher, having a defense first catcher isn't exactly mold breaking. Maybe his defense and framing are a tick better than most, but how much is that worth when he's probably gonna hit .200 as a regular? The goal is to stand tall amongst the competition, not shrink down to them. I think Vazquez is a good backup, the kind of guy a single pitcher on your staff gets comfortable with and gets him every turn. Hanigan is gonna be your starting catcher this season.
    Hal sucks

Hanigan once topped 300AB, just once. That was ages ago. He is definition of backup. He is brought in to replace Ross.

Quote Originally Posted by Station 13 View Post
    Hanigan once topped 300AB, just once. That was ages ago. He is definition of backup. He is brought in to replace Ross.
    Well his games played and other stats are down I don't think that they preclude Hanigan from playing a more major role in the Sox roster than Ross would likely have.

Does he have major injury issues that will prevent him from playing 80-110 games?

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    He's a catcher. You try your best to grow him and go slowly with him if he is to stick at the position
    He wasn't signed as a catcher but was converted there and has taken to it like a duck to water. Right now everyone is talking about Vazquez who is a terrific defensive catcher, but if some people like Castillo and Bogaerts don't hit, and Napoli and Ramirez are in and out with injuries, we will need every bat we can get into that lineup. People are talking like we can carry Vaz easily but forget what kind of starting rotation we have right now......C minus at best.

Your starting catcher in September will be Swihart.
    Hal sucks

Fred, you're right. If you're gonna be a playoff team, you're gonna need to bludgeon your opponents. Carrying a catcher who cannot hit his weight decreases that likelihood
    Hal sucks