Register now to remove this ad

Page 53 of 166 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the actual rotation the worst in the last 10 Y?

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    He's talking about DR getting to the moon. They are working on advanced slingshot technology right this monent.
    Fired from chicken driven donkeys.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    Yes, of course. I asked who people saw as potential trade pieces going to Phillie from the Sox.

I would assume that the Sox would make a smart deal.
    That's because you drink the kool aid. Us objective realists know he's just a boob who got lucky when the planets aligned in 2013.

Yes, of course. I asked who people saw as potential trade pieces going to Phillie from the Sox.

I would assume that the Sox would make a smart deal.
    You shouldn't assume that! They don't have MBAs!
    We miss you Mike.

Spud, just listen to whatever I say. I have an MBA.

I'd feel much more comfortable with the FO if guys like Ben had coached high school ball for 30-40 years.

That is more of a bonifed qualification then a dime a dozen MBA.

Oh shit!

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    Well said, Kimmi. Pessimists expect the worst so they won't be disappointed if the worst happens. It is a self defense mechanism with most pessimists.

I am not telling you anything you don't already know, but we all mostly reject what contradicts with what we hold sacred, baseball or otherwise. It is part of life and being on a baseball forum. I am thankful for Fred, A700, and others because they provide debatable topics for us to discuss and argue.

Fortunately, some of us can embrace new theology when it emerges. The Red Sox are entering the current season with a vastly improved offense. Their starting pitching lacks a number one, but the AL east is not loaded with starting pitching. Tampa Bay might have the best staff, but their line-up is suspect. Baltimore won last year with Tillman as their ace. Boston has potentially as deep a staff as any team in the division. I am cautiously optimistic.

I am optimistic about this season. I think, or at least hope, the starting pitching will pleasantly surprise some people. Our offense should be one of the best, and our defense should be very solid. If we find that we need another starter, we have the flexibility to add one during the season. What's not to like about that?

I'd feel much more comfortable with the FO if guys like Ben had coached high school ball for 30-40 years.

That is more of a bonifed qualification then a dime a dozen MBA.
    So you'd want fred to run this team? I cringe at the thought. Cringe, i tell ya.
    We miss you Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    I am optimistic about this season. I think, or at least hope, the starting pitching will pleasantly surprise some people. Our offense should be one of the best, and our defense should be very solid. If we find that we need another starter, we have the flexibility to add one during the season. What's not to like about that?
    While I share your optimism about the team as a whole, I don't think the defense is all that great at the moment.

I'm sure that we are all happy to know that X has spent time in Arizona attempting to become more quick a foot and all. I just don't know that he will be so much better than what he was last year at short. His range and footwork / throws to first still concern me. I'm from Missouri when it comes to his ability to be better than average at his position. He has to show me.

Sandoval, despite being a hunk of goo, should play decent 3rd base unless he becomes injured. Pedroia will be himself, I assume. Napoili says he is a little behind schedule in his preparation because of the ghastly surgery to his face. I expect that once he catches up, he will once again be at a near Gold Glove level at first.

Overall, I don't believe the infield defense is so much improved. This is worrisome given the Sox professed commitment to ground ball starting pitching.

Now the outfield is a real question mark if not still a total mess. Bradley will not be in Center. Betts is still a novice in the outfield. Castilllo is unproven at best. Hanley is a potential disaster in Left. I'm just hoping that he can play about as well as Gomes. Victorino could return to play Gold Glove D in right field.

Catching appears to be a real strength defensively.

Overall, I can not say with a straight face that the Sox Defense is all that great.

Defense better be good with all these "GB" pitchers, otherwise other teams will eat them alive.
    Tiburones Rojos de Veracruz & Boston Red Sox

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    In the words of Don Corleone when he slaps a crying Johnny Fontaine: "Act like a man!" No, offense ladies.

Quote Originally Posted by User Name? View Post
    So you'd want fred to run this team? I cringe at the thought. Cringe, i tell ya.
    I'd only let Dojji run the team. With his roster, we could reduce ticket prices.

While I share your optimism about the team as a whole, I don't think the defense is all that great at the moment.

I'm sure that we are all happy to know that X has spent time in Arizona attempting to become more quick a foot and all. I just don't know that he will be so much better than what he was last year at short. His range and footwork / throws to first still concern me. I'm from Missouri when it comes to his ability to be better than average at his position. He has to show me.

Sandoval, despite being a hunk of goo, should play decent 3rd base unless he becomes injured. Pedroia will be himself, I assume. Napoili says he is a little behind schedule in his preparation because of the ghastly surgery to his face. I expect that once he catches up, he will once again be at a near Gold Glove level at first.

Overall, I don't believe the infield defense is so much improved. This is worrisome given the Sox professed commitment to ground ball starting pitching.

Now the outfield is a real question mark if not still a total mess. Bradley will not be in Center. Betts is still a novice in the outfield. Castilllo is unproven at best. Hanley is a potential disaster in Left. I'm just hoping that he can play about as well as Gomes. Victorino could return to play Gold Glove D in right field.

Catching appears to be a real strength defensively.

Overall, I can not say with a straight face that the Sox Defense is all that great.

IMO, the only question marks defensively, provided we have good health, are Hanley and Xander. Pedroia and Naps are Gold Glovers - not much improvement needed there.

Our defense at 3B last year was terrible, to the sum of -18 DRS. Sandoval playing decent 3B will be an improvement. He should be slightly above average.

Bogaerts improvement remains to be seen, but I am guessing that he will be improved over last year.

Small samples and all, but from what I've read and seen of Castillo and Betts, they are very capable of playing solid outfield defense. Hanley will probably not be that great, but I am inspired by his willingness and desire to learn his new position.

Overall, I think the defense will be very solid. Then again, I like Kool-Aid.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    IMO, the only question marks defensively, provided we have good health, are Hanley and Xander. Pedroia and Naps are Gold Glovers - not much improvement needed there.

Our defense at 3B last year was terrible, to the sum of -18 DRS. Sandoval playing decent 3B will be an improvement. He should be slightly above average.

Bogaerts improvement remains to be seen, but I am guessing that he will be improved over last year.

Small samples and all, but from what I've read and seen of Castillo and Betts, they are very capable of playing solid outfield defense. Hanley will probably not be that great, but I am inspired by his willingness and desire to learn his new position.

Overall, I think the defense will be very solid. Then again, I like Kool-Aid.
    I think the big question is XB. I do not think he was up to snuff last year, but I am encouraged to hear that he has been working hard in the off season. A good fielding SS will be critical to a sinkerball staff. As you pointed out, we are solid at second and first. In the OF, Hanley should be able to handle LF. When healthy, Victorino is one of the best RFers in the game. Castillo looked okay in CF in limited action. Keep your fingers crossed that XB takes his defense to the next level.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Deity
    I think the big question is XB. I do not think he was up to snuff last year, but I am encouraged to hear that he has been working hard in the off season. A good fielding SS will be critical to a sinkerball staff. As you pointed out, we are solid at second and first. In the OF, Hanley should be able to handle LF. When healthy, Victorino is one of the best RFers in the game. Castillo looked okay in CF in limited action. Keep your fingers crossed that XB takes his defense to the next level.
    Just asking but you don't see Betts in that lineup with that projected 3.6 WAR. Best on the team.

Deity
    Nobody repeat nobody knows what they will get from this team this year. You can be as negative or as positive as you want to be. Great cases can be made for both sides. What we do know is that the Red Sox spent a ton of money during the off season.
    Things could go very well or they could go the other way. They should be better offensively but once again lots of questions. Think Ramirez will see 140 + games ? Defensively we know they will be stronger at third even though some posters don't seem to like Sandoval's fitness level, he can still make plays. If Victorino is healthy, we are better in right field. Other than that, come on - poorer in left and about the same maybe a little better with respect to everywhere else. There is no reality check needed with respect to this pitching staff. Absolutely unpredictable. If past performance is what you use as your assessment tool, we might be in trouble. If you see a fairly young staff, with a few ready to blossom, then we are ok. Looks to me as though there will be a number of jobs on the line here this season. Sometimes the good ones operate very well in atmosphere like the one that has been created here. Let's hope they do. I have no money invested here, so I choose to be positive. But I am that way and have been forever because that is the way most Red Sox fans that I grew up with tend to be. It is going to be one of the more interesting seasons I think that we have seen.