Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 166 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the actual rotation the worst in the last 10 Y?

Is the actual rotation the worst in the last 10 Y?

Of course there's still time but all the signs say that we are going to go like this.

If so AND "on paper", IMO this could be the worst rotation in the last 10 Y with one of the highest payrolls in the majors.

What do u think?
    Tiburones Rojos de Veracruz & Boston Red Sox

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    In the words of Don Corleone when he slaps a crying Johnny Fontaine: "Act like a man!" No, offense ladies.

We have a pair of 4's a pair of 5's and a 3. That is not going to scare anyone. Hitters will be licking their chops. The offense is going to have to bludgeon opposing teams to keep us in games. If the starters stay injury free and take all of their starts, the team could be competitive. If we get some injuries (i.e., Buch misses a lot of time), we could have a very rough road.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

No.

That title goes to 2011, and I seriously doubt it will even be close. You guys complain about all the #4s and 5s... that year half the rotation was #8s and 9s.
    Last edited by Palodios; 01-03-2015 at 07:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Palodios View Post
    No.

That title goes to 2011, and I seriously doubt it will even be close.
    At the end of the 2011 season, they couldn't find anyone to give us a good start. I thought iortiz was asking whether this was the worst staff going into a season. 2011 had a ton of injuries. That staff had Josh Beckett who put up 2.89 ERA and they had Lester too. They also had John Lackey. I'm not seeing that kind of quality going into 2015.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

The 2006 rotation is the worst since before Pedro showed up.

A
    At the end of the 2011 season, they couldn't find anyone to give us a good start. I thought iortiz was asking whether this was the worst staff going into a season. 2011 had a ton of injuries. That staff had Josh Beckett who put up 2.89 ERA and they had Lester too. They also had John Lackey. I'm not seeing that kind of quality going into 2015.
    Exactly!

Even 2006 rotation as MVP says had more "potential"

In the words of Don Corleone when he slaps a crying Johnny Fontaine: "Act like a man!" No, offense ladies.

Even 2013 rotation had a lot question marks too considering how they ended up 2012, but this version is way far the worst IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by iortiz View Post
    A
    Exactly!

Even 2006 rotation as MVP says had more "potential"
    Schilling was done. Beckett needed to learn to pitch in the AL. Tim Wakefield, David Wells and a post head injury Clement rounded out that shit show. This rotation is better today.

The rest of this exercise is silly as we don't know if this is the final rotation. Some people on here have the clairvoyance to know exactly how this will all shake out. Kuddos to them I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Schilling was done. Beckett needed to learn to pitch in the AL. Tim Wakefield, David Wells and a post head injury Clement rounded out that shit show. This rotation is better today.

The rest of this exercise is silly as we don't know if this is the final rotation. Some people on here have the clairvoyance to know exactly how this will all shake out. Kuddos to them I guess.
    Haha come on man! Beckett had more potential than anyone here. Wakefield too.

Hopefully you are right and we do not end up like this.

The whole point of this topic is that what is "on paper" isn't as good as what the result will be.

The argument I keep seeing is that 3's and 4's are not going to win a championship. in 2011, the Red Sox's rotation was filled with guys that would be #8/9/10 on the depth of championship teams. Bedard averaged 3 IP per start. Weiland had a 7.66 ERA, Miller 5.54, Lackey 6.44, Wakefield 5.12. The #3-5 starters could be pulled in the 3rd with 6-8 runs on any given night. As much as you dislike the current rotation, this group is not even remotely that terrible.

I
    Quote Originally Posted by Palodios View Post
    The whole point of this topic is that what is "on paper" isn't as good as what the result will be.

The argument I keep seeing is that 3's and 4's are not going to win a championship. in 2011, the Red Sox's rotation was filled with guys that would be #8/9/10 on the depth of championship teams. Bedard averaged 3 IP per start. Weiland had a 7.66 ERA, Miller 5.54, Lackey 6.44, Wakefield 5.12. The #3-5 starters could be pulled in the 3rd with 6-8 runs on any given night. As much as you dislike the current rotation, this group is not even remotely that terrible.
    No one in this world at the beginning of 2011 thought that the 2011 rotation would collapse as they did. Great part of that year we were the best team in the majors.

On the other hand no matter how bad I see this rotation, I do not see that epic failure since I do not have high hopes in the first place as I did in 2011.

I think that the expectations are very very low at our rotation this year.

Also I have to say that some of us in August, on the other hand, predicted that collapse.

The 2012 starters had the worst ERA in franchise history, at 5.19.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    The 2012 starters had the worst ERA in franchise history, at 5.19.
    In all fairness, did 2012 rotation have this expectations at the beginning of that year?

Quote Originally Posted by iortiz View Post
    Haha come on man! Beckett had more potential than anyone here. Wakefield too.

Hopefully you are right and we do not end up like this.
    Buchholz can pitch like a #1 if you're into that potential gimmick.