Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Yankees retire 3 more numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Jacoby_Ellsbury View Post
    It's one thing to debate the hall of fame, but each team determines their own standards for team-specific honors. The fact that Red Sox fans of all people are commenting on what numbers the Yankees should and shouldn't retire is really stupid.

It's not stupid. We have no say in what other teams do (or our own team for that matter), but that has never stopped us from voicing our opinions on the topic anyway. Isn't that the purpose of message boards?

Intangibles!

Posada had +5 leadership, +5 "True Yankee pinstripes", and +5 Jeter-like intangibles. A recipe for enshrinement!

Seriously though, why is this an issue?
    We miss you Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by User Name? View Post
    Seriously though, why is this an issue?
    No real issue. Just something to debate to pass the long, cold, dark hours known as the offseason.

I'm just amazed at how personally Jacko takes it, even if he is a Yankees fan.

"Don't be hypocrites guys, or I'll cry"- Jacksonianmarch
    We miss you Mike.

Let's turn this one a little. Who gets their number retired in your head for the sox from their recent run of rings?
    Hal sucks

That's the point: Who cares? Let teams induct whoever they think is worthy. This thread is just flame-bait for Yankee super-homers, which means an immediate reaction from you brah. Lol.
    Last edited by User Name?; 02-18-2015 at 12:55 PM.
    We miss you Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Let's turn this one a little. Who gets their number retired in your head for the sox from their recent run of rings?
    Pedro and Papi. Pedroia only if he gets in HOF.

That's the point: Who cares? Let teams induct whoever they think is worthy. This thread is just flame-bait for Yankee super-homers, which means an immediate reaction from you brah. Lo.
    Your secretary must be extra annoying today. What's the harm in this discussion? It's certainly far from a flamewar.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Your secretary must be extra annoying today. What's the harm in this discussion? It's certainly far from a flamewar.
    But dad, I'm trying to make fun of the Yankees fan!
    We miss you Mike.

Alright, this is a fine topic of discussion and i was just trying to troll Jacko.

Posada and Bernie both deserve to get their numbers retired, but AP has the steroid stigma over him and shouldn't get in IMO because he wasn't good enough to overcome it either ways.

Manny talked himself out of the Sox HOF. Papi should get in, even with the PED cloud (unconfirmed anyways) because he's been one of the greatest Sox hitters ever, part of three championships after the WS drought, and a model citizen.

Pedro is a no-questions asked entry.

After that, the water gets a little muddy, but Pedroia's the most likely candidate.
    We miss you Mike.

Honestly, the only recent NYY numbers that should be retired are Jeter and Rivera. Retiring Posada is basically retiring Varitek. But if NY wants to let everyone into their memeorial garden, may as well erect a Brosius statue and let everyone have a plaque. Blue ribbons for everyone! You are all special snowflakes!

Contributions to all of those championships plus a 121 career OPS+ really enhance Posada's case though. His D may have been weak, but the offensive numbers are pretty extraordinary.
    We miss you Mike.

I'm just amazed at how personally Jacko takes it, even if he is a Yankees fan.

"Don't be hypocrites guys, or I'll cry"- Jacksonianmarch

Well, Jacko's mistake is being a Yankees fan to begin with.

Outside of that, I can't fault him for defending his team. Not that there's always merit to his defense, but as fans, that's what we do. We're all homers to a certain extent. Just don't be hypocritical about it, and say that something is okay for the Yankees, but then not okay for the Sox.

To me, Posada is the NYY Pedroia. If he gets into the HOF, his number should be retired.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Honestly, the only recent NYY numbers that should be retired are Jeter and Rivera. Retiring Posada is basically retiring Varitek. But if NY wants to let everyone into their memeorial garden, may as well erect a Brosius statue and let everyone have a plaque. Blue ribbons for everyone! You are all special snowflakes!
    ^^^This