Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: JBJ's Spring

Triple A
    B would be a disaster.

I'd make a gamble and if I can't get a 1 or 2 caliber pitcher at the trade deadline without saying good-bye to Betts or Swihart, I'd hold the line. I'd only say good-bye if I am getting someone who is "Bumgarner." But I don't think that caliber will be available.

Build a core of young kids. Then overpay to get a huge starter or two.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Ogden View Post
    I think that translates to him not being healthy. One wrong twist, check swing, or sprint to first base and he could be in trouble. That's why he isn't hitting lefty ... it hurts.
    Most likely - although just as true is that he's bad at it.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Ogden View Post
    Victorino's response was foolish. I believe the gist of what they are saying - that he wants less OF competition - but admittedly they are trying to maximize a story. Isn't that what writers and talk shows do? That's why I try not to listen too much.
    I guess that when you put it that way, it is kind of like what we are all doing. I guess I read what Victorino said as being something that has already been said many times. Sadly, everyone knows what most writers , talk show hosts, and news reporters try to do. Sesationalize and sell most of the time.

I don't think. The Red Sox have any choice but to send Bradley to the minors, even if Victorino gets traded. He'd still have Ramirez, Castillo, Betts and Craig ahead of him. If it comes down to him and Nava, Bradley has options. If VIctorino is with us on opening day, Bradley goes down and Nava gets DFA'd and some team will claim him.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    I don't think. The Red Sox have any choice but to send Bradley to the minors, even if Victorino gets traded. He'd still have Ramirez, Castillo, Betts and Craig ahead of him. If it comes down to him and Nava, Bradley has options. If VIctorino is with us on opening day, Bradley goes down and Nava gets DFA'd and some team will claim him.
    Nava isn't getting DFA'd. Castillo starts in AAA. That's my prediction at least.

They would trade Nava rather than DFA him anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Nava isn't getting DFA'd. Castillo starts in AAA. That's my prediction at least.

They would trade Nava rather than DFA him anyway.
    They would have 10 days to trade him. After that he could be claimed. If he goes unclaimed, which would be unlikely, he would be assigne to Pawtucket. Castillo is not going to be sitting in AAA with $72 million unless he gets injured. Would you like to bet a case of beer on it?
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

I would hope that the Sox would be smart enough to trade Nava and to not just DFA him. He has value.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    I would not sell low on JBJ if I were the FO. His defense is worth his weight in gold, and by all accounts, he looks a lot better at the plate. He's never going to be known as an offensive CFer, but if he can hit decently, he will be a valuable player. If the Sox are not given an offer that they are happy with, then I'd be fine stashing him in AAA for another season. In other words, don't trade him just for the sake of trading him because he is "expendable".
    Well Said!!

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by SimplyMarie View Post
    Well Said!!
    I still think that he has potential to be a decent offensive player. Above average maybe. He needed to make some changes. Maybe he has made them. I think that he still has a lot of excitement left in him!

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by SimplyMarie View Post
    Well Said!!
    I still think that he has potential to be a decent offensive player. Above average maybe. He needed to make some changes. Maybe he has made them. I think that he still has a lot of excitement left in him!

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    I'm with you on this.

Unfortunately it looks like he will be playing for someone else.

I enjoy watching him play CF. He seems to make at least one exciting play each game he starts.

I love it when someone runs on his arm. THAT is exciting baseball.

They would have 10 days to trade him. After that he could be claimed. If he goes unclaimed, which would be unlikely, he would be assigne to Pawtucket. Castillo is not going to be sitting in AAA with $72 million unless he gets injured. Would you like to bet a case of beer on it?
    I will gladly bet that Nava is neither traded nor DFA'd. But a case of beer? Delivery would be the issue.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    I'm with you on this.

Unfortunately it looks like he will be playing for someone else.

I enjoy watching him play CF. He seems to make at least one exciting play each game he starts.

I love it when someone runs on his arm. THAT is exciting baseball.
    It won't happen and I not 100% that it would be best case but if their outfield consisted of Ramirez, Betts, Castillo , and Bradley, I would be ok with it. I do think that Betts is getting better all the time but Bradley is gold glove for a long time. I think you need at least one arm out there like that.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    I would hope that the Sox would be smart enough to trade Nava and to not just DFA him. He has value.
    I think it's POSSIBLE that Nava is the odd man out. But Nava makes much more sense to carry as a 4th outfielder than Castillo. I don't think any fan or chat show caller is wondering why Castillo is not playing ahead of Betts, so the PR pressure is not really there. There is plenty of PR cover to start Castillo in Pawtucket. He has just not played a lot of baseball - and his talent is super exciting but it'd be nice for him to face some guys who are trying to get him out for real.

Castillo tag teaming with Victorino and providing some defensive depth is a sensible way to go too - but I think having Nava on the big league roster makes more sense in the near term. The other option is to carry 11 pitchers, but I don't think that is happening immediately.

Well, at least the powerful, .158-hitting Victorino has solved this problem by explaining that all these guys need to be traded for pitching, and oh yes to make RF comfortable for him (that is, on the 2 or 3 days this season when he is healthy enough to play).