Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Yankees Regular Season Thread

He looked like a nibbling Dice K yesterday. If he's had to change they way he pitches so much because of the elbow, that should have been a clue to get the surgery out of the way. Instead he's going to possibly waste his prime trying to get by and not get hurt. Like I said before it's only one start.

Quote Originally Posted by BSN07 View Post
    He looked like a nibbling Dice K yesterday. If he's had to change they way he pitches so much because of the elbow, that should have been a clue to get the surgery out of the way. Instead he's going to possibly waste his prime trying to get by and not get hurt. Like I said before it's only one start.

I think he should have had the surgery last season when the injury was first discovered. However, 3 doctors supposedly recommended that he try rehabbing it, and they certainly know a lot more than I do. If Tanaka is going to be pitching tentatively for fear of injury though, he might as well go ahead and have the surgery.

I thought he looked pretty good in ST though, so it will be interesting to see how he does in his next few starts.

I honestly believe that structurally, his elbow will allow him to throw 93-95mph again. I don't know for how long, but he showed he could throw 93-94 yesterday. I am more concerned about the fact that the specter of injury has made him want to change what made him great. It's in his head rather than in his arm. The guy who pitched yesterday will give us 180IP and a 4+ERA. That isn't what we need. We need the guy who was fearless, who threw low to mid 90s cheese with a splitter that lit the world on fire.
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    I think he should have had the surgery last season when the injury was first discovered. However, 3 doctors supposedly recommended that he try rehabbing it, and they certainly know a lot more than I do. If Tanaka is going to be pitching tentatively for fear of injury though, he might as well go ahead and have the surgery.

I thought he looked pretty good in ST though, so it will be interesting to see how he does in his next few starts.

If a doctor is conservative, surgery is always the last resort. If rehab gets him to some percentage of his best, they'll have to determine what % is good enough based on his results. Maybe he gets by at 80%, maybe not, but being conservative the docs thought it was worth a shot. Or maybe mentally he's scared to really let it go consistently and his emotional state was an unknown until he actually got into game situations.

Ogden, I think he's scared to let it fly. The guy I saw pitching yesterday was afraid. I hope it was just the early season, but I was definitely concerned

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Ogden, I think he's scared to let it fly. The guy I saw pitching yesterday was afraid. I hope it was just the early season, but I was definitely concerned
    Well, it's probably natural that he'd still have some fear about letting it fly. It's still pretty early in the process.

There's a lot of rationalization going on in this thread for the result of one start.
    We miss you Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Ogden View Post
    If a doctor is conservative, surgery is always the last resort. If rehab gets him to some percentage of his best, they'll have to determine what % is good enough based on his results. Maybe he gets by at 80%, maybe not, but being conservative the docs thought it was worth a shot. Or maybe mentally he's scared to really let it go consistently and his emotional state was an unknown until he actually got into game situations.

I certainly understand and agree with the 'surgery as the last resort' opinion. If it is possible for Tanaka's ligament to heal with rest and rehabilitation, then you have to try that first. However, if they are only prolonging the inevitable, knowing that he will need the surgery within a year or so, then he probably would have been better off just having it done. But as I said, I'm not a doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by User Name? View Post
    There's a lot of rationalization going on in this thread for the result of one start.

That's what forum posters do best.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    That's what forum posters do best.
    True.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Still, when you slice and dice it, one start doesn't really tell us much at all. I think five or six more starts will give a clearer picture of what gives with the Yankee ace.

Pineda threw well yesterday. Our bats were still silent. If it wasn't for the ineptitude of the Jays pitchers in terms of hitting the strike zone, we'd have lost. But I'll take it. CC vs Norris today, let's see if we can take the series. Sucks I have to work!

Yankees disjointed again. They really seem so akin to last season it isn't funny. Days we hit, we cant pitch, days we pitch we cant hit. Days our starter hands the pen the lead, they don't hold it. Very frustrating start to the year.
    Hal sucks

ARod hitting over .300 with 3HR and 8RBI in his 10th game. Surprised he can even make contact
    Hal sucks

ARoid goes deep again to tie it up. His first HR was the longest in the bigs this yr. I would like to know who the next Tony Bosch is!
    Hal sucks