Register now to remove this ad

Thread: 2015-2016 Yankees Minor League notes

2015-2016 Yankees Minor League notes

It is time for an updated minor league notes section. And it starts with probably our most interesting prospect and someone who will be in the top 50 nationally, Domingo Acevedo. He is a 21 yr old RHP who stands 6'7". He topped out this yr at 103mph and sits easily around 96-99. He throws a plus slider and changeup with good command. Repeatability of the delivery and health is the only major concern. He was the NYP pitcher of the yr, throwing up a 1.69ERA with 54K and only 16BB in 49.2IP. The sky is the limit here.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minor...a-fall-league/
    Hal sucks

All-Star
    Top 30 prospects list.

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2015?list=nyy

I'm excited about the top 8. A lot of talent in the lower levels though, a few of those IFA from last year should start to pop next year. I hope Ty Hensley can finally rebound and take a big step this year.

Acevedo to me is a top 5, maybe top 3 guy. I read an article about his last handful of starts. The guy was SITTING at 100 and topping out at 103. Add to that 2 plus potential offspeed offerings and solid command in a gigantic frame and you have the makings of a lights out ace. Everyone will be asking about him, but I hope he is truly untouchable unless we get a DeGrom or Harvey level pitcher
    Hal sucks

All-Star
    Looking for Torrens to have a big year in 2016. I see we resigned Higgy and hope we pair them together. I can see him becoming a manager one day or even a scout for us.

Sleeps for me next year are Coshow, Acevedo, Adams, Garcia, and Williams. Really think those four take a big leap onto the prospect map and in Williams case into the majors. Not saying he'll be an all star by any means but I think he'll end up having an impact when Ells or Beltran get hurt.
    Last edited by Meh; 12-04-2015 at 11:57 AM.

Acevedo isn't really much of a sleeper as he won the NYP pitcher of the year and should probably be a top 100 prospect in all of baseball. Coshow and Adams have big arms and should move fast. Garcia is going to be moved along VERY slowly because he has Mateo in front of him as well as Avelino. They wont push him unless he forces the issue. I have loved seeing the resurgence of Mason Williams. But it took him 2-3 years to recover from his first shoulder surgery. He's had a second. I would love to see him return to the prospect circles as a legit big league option, but I have my doubts
    Hal sucks

All-Star
    Triple-A depth is starting to take shape. It's going to be a very solid squad.

Catcher - Sanchez with Eddy Rodriguez mentoring him. I think Romine starts as the back up, so Sanchez can get regular playing time.
    1B: Bird. Unless they deal Ackley, I think Bird starts at Triple-A.
    2B: Refsnyder, so far three of our top 6 prospects at the same level. Pretty interesting.
    SS: Not sure I don't know if Kozma could handle SS anymore.
    OF is stacked right now... Judge, Heathcott, Williams.
    DH: I mean I'll stick Austin there for now, but he could be backing up 3B, 1B, corner OF spots.
    Gamel and Renda rounding out the bench.

I'd love to see a vet sign a minor league deal. I'd target Chad Billinglsey then fill in the rest with Mitchell, Lail, Cessa, and Green.

Bullpen should again be stacked: I think Pazos starts with the big leagues, same for Pinder. So Lindgren, Goody, Rumbelow, Cotham, Barbarto, Webb, and Montgomery should make a shut down pen for that level.

Got to love the depth there. Could deal from a positon of strength in the bullpen or outfield.

Sanchez will be up with the bigs

Judge has started out well in AAA, knocking on the door of the big club. .391 with 3 doubles in his first 5 games. The only downside is the 1:8 BB to K ratio. Ben Gamel and Slade Heathcott have gotten off to quick starts as well. Sanchez and Refsnyder not to much

The story of Connor Mullee could be made into a movie. College SS converted to the mound. Then has 3 major arm surgeries. Now 28, he is pumping mid 90s cheese and has K'd 6 in his first 3IP in AAA. Hope he sees the big club at least for a cup of coffee for his perseverance

There has been a Dante Bichette Jr. sighting! .400BA and 2 HR in his first 4 games. He hit 3 taters all of last yr. He has seemingly been around forever, but he will play this yr as a 23 yr old, so he does have time if he blossoms.

Tampa will be one of my favorite teams to watch this yr, as they have the most speed of any team you are gonna see. Mateo and Avelino together might steal 130 bases between them. Mateo is clubbing the piss out of the ball to this point. 1.049OPS with a .391AVG, a double, 2 triples and 3 steals. He needs to cut down on the K's, 9 in first 5 games, to take advantage of that speed. Many publications like him better than Sanchez and Judge for the top spot in the farm and he likely wont be in Tampa long.

Miguel Andujar has started strong. He's a tooled up 3b who has been pushed aggressively to this point without the performance to back it up. He's repeating Tampa this yr and he's OPS'ing 1.2 right now with 2HR in 4 games. He just turn 21 and if he has a strong year, would definitely be a top 100 prospect nationally.
    Hal sucks

Kaprielian out with elbow inflammation. No TJS at this point. Bummer, he looked awesome
    Hal sucks