Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yankees get Aroldis Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by User Name? View Post
    Kimbrel didn't beat up his wife though.
    And Kimbrel is white. Something that never hurts in the Boston market. Few people will say this, though. Boston does prefer it's white pro athletes as heros.

Also, Kimbrel seems to be articulate. That should help him in this market too.

Quote Originally Posted by User Name? View Post
    Kimbrel didn't beat up his wife though.
    I understand that. I don't take domestic abuse lightly.

Watching Chapman shut down games for the Yankees is going to tick me off as much as watching Arod hit game winning HRs for them ticks me off.

It doesn't change the fact that in a complete baseball sense, the Yankees got one of the best closers in baseball for peanuts.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    I'm hoping for a 50 gamer
    It's a beautiful piece of irony that you're better off with a 50 gamer.

Exactly. Our pen might actually benefit from having to deal without him for the first 50 games. We have a LOT of power arms who are MLB ready who could fill the void for 1/3 of the season. We could even groom someone to be a big trade piece at the deadline
    Hal sucks

Police couldn't find enough evidence to charge Chapman for assaulting his wife.

However, the fact that he fired 8 gunshots in his garage is not in dispute.

That's a lot of gunshots for no particular reason.

Sounds like a guy who has some serious issues, at the very least.

This looks an extremely good baseball move by the Yanks.

It also looks like a terrible PR move.

As a Sox fan, needless to say, I hope it backfires - no pun intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Police couldn't find enough evidence to charge Chapman for assaulting his wife.

However, the fact that he fired 8 gunshots in his garage is not in dispute.

That's a lot of gunshots for no particular reason.

Sounds like a guy who has some serious issues, at the very least.

This looks an extremely good baseball move by the Yanks.

It also looks like a terrible PR move.

As a Sox fan, needless to say, I hope it backfires - no pun intended.
    I agree. It's a great baseball move, but a terrible PR move. The Yankees took advantage of a domestic violence issue, which somehow doesn't sit right.

That said, as far as I know, Chapman has never had any clubhouse or on field issues. So, whatever he may lack in character, it does not show up in his baseball play.

Does that make it okay for the Yankees to sign him from a 'moral' standpoint? I don't know, but I'm sure that there were several other teams who were still interested in signing him.

I stopped caring many years ago about players personal lives. I don't know them. They are not friends of mine. Baseball is an escape for me. All that matters to me with regard to Chapman is that this acquisition just shortened Yankee games to 6 innings. These are not just 3 good power arms. They are 3 elite dominant arms. I hate this move.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

I stopped caring many years ago about players personal lives. I don't know them. They are not friends of mine. Baseball is an escape for me. All that matters to me with regard to Chapman is that this acquisition just shortened Yankee games to 6 innings. These are not just 3 good power arms. They are 3 elite dominant arms. I hate this move.
    If it makes you feel any better, the Yankees were almost unbeatable last year when they had the lead after 6 innings - they were 57-2 in that situation on Sept. 8/15 when there was a story about it. So they actually can't get much better in that department.

As far as not caring about players' personal lives, I can understand that to an extent. However, if a player is a known wife beater (which has not been proven here) or a child molester, for instance, then I care.

At any rate, I agree with you about hating this move. They Yankees pen is going to be lights out.

If it makes you feel any better, the Yankees were almost unbeatable last year when they had the lead after 6 innings - they were 57-2 in that situation on Sept. 8/15 when there was a story about it. So they actually can't get much better in that department.
    The thing is, they can probably shorten most games to 5 innings now. That's where the improvement comes in.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    The thing is, they can probably shorten most games to 5 innings now. That's where the improvement comes in.
    Don't forget, though, that they had previously traded Adam Warren and Justin Wilson. It wasn't that long ago Jacko was wondering what the hell they were doing to their bullpen.

I was wondering what we were doing with Warren because of his starting chops. He was replaceable as a reliever. I understood Wilson being moved, but didn't like the return
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    As far as not caring about players' personal lives, I can understand that to an extent. However, if a player is a known wife beater (which has not been proven here) or a child molester, for instance, then I care.

At any rate, I agree with you about hating this move. They Yankees pen is going to be lights out.
    If a guy beats his wife beater or child molester, I hope the justice system puts him behind bars. Baseball shouldn't be the arbiter of criminal activity.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    I was wondering what we were doing with Warren because of his starting chops. He was replaceable as a reliever. I understood Wilson being moved, but didn't like the return
    You panic too quickly and you value our players too much. You need to relax a little. Cashman has made some good trades these past two or three years.

Don't forget, though, that they had previously traded Adam Warren and Justin Wilson. It wasn't that long ago Jacko was wondering what the hell they were doing to their bullpen.
    Fair point. I think we just have to hope that the starters and the offense are not good enough to give the Yankees the lead after 5-6 innings. I am not going to have much confidence in any team coming back from a deficit once those three enter the game.