Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 51 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Prospects Thread

2016 Prospects Thread

Fangraphs recently posted the Red Sox top prospects, their ranking are quite different than BA or SP.

1. Andrew Benintendi, OF
    2. Yoan Moncada, 2B
    3. Anderson Espinoza, RHP
    4. Rafael Devers, 3B
    5. Brian Johnson, LHP
    6. Michael Kopech, RHP
    7. Mauricio Dubon, 2B/SS
    8. Deven Marrero, SS
    9. Michael Chavis, 3B
    10. Luis Alexander Basabe, OF

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/evalu...oston-red-sox/

Benintendi over Moncada? That is really really surprising.
    We miss you Mike.

Deity
    that is different - obviously he is still the real deal - based on the number of errors he committed last year, it wasn't a stretch to think that he still has some work to do. that is the first time that i have seen anything written about his footwork though

Moncada might be similar to Bogaerts, takes a while for him to figure the MLB stage. Benintenti seems to be taking the Betts progression, he won't need much time to assimilate. Personally, I feel Benintenti is better because of that trait.
    Last edited by Station 13; 01-12-2016 at 10:39 PM.

I don't think that's a logical assesment. Faster development doesn't mean better ceiling. Also, Moncada plays at a MIF position. All things being equal, Moncada would be more valuable because of position.
    We miss you Mike.

Deity
    I wonder if that is the best place for him. We have heard that he wants to be an infielder and specifically a second baseman. it might be better for him (maybe not us) if he was in the outfield.

Deity
    Brian Johnson says that he is healthy as in 100% and ready to go. I could not be happier. He is my sleeper pick. He knows how to pitch. Buchholz, Kelly have attractive potential that we hope will morph into someone who can stay healthy and actually last for at least most of the season. Owens is tall and might be decent. Wright has an ever improving knuckleball. Johnson can just pitch. Nice curve, works fast etc. If he does in fact stay healthy, I am betting on him being in our regular rotation by June or July. I think that he will stay for a while as well.

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    Brian Johnson says that he is healthy as in 100% and ready to go. I could not be happier. He is my sleeper pick. He knows how to pitch. Buchholz, Kelly have attractive potential that we hope will morph into someone who can stay healthy and actually last for at least most of the season. Owens is tall and might be decent. Wright has an ever improving knuckleball. Johnson can just pitch. Nice curve, works fast etc. If he does in fact stay healthy, I am betting on him being in our regular rotation by June or July. I think that he will stay for a while as well.
    When I watched him pitch, his curve ball was reminiscent of Bruce Hurst's.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Deity
    Good to see Moncada, Vasquez, and Barnes already south getting ready for the spring.

Deity
    Just saying here that Sam Travis = hitting machine. Not a lot of power but the kid can hit.

Deity
    Good news for Vasquez - Looks like he will be ready for the spring.

Deity
    I like John Farrell but he does make me uneasy. Most of us would have bet that Swihart would be our opening day catcher but to make that statement right now before camp starts seems too early. There is nothing wrong with players competing for spots. No one really knows what kind of physical shape Vasquez will be in come the latter part of February. Come to think of it, a healthy Hannigan isn't the worst thing that could happen. Farrell has a history of doing things like this as well as his tendency to hang on to players long after it becomes apparent that they can no longer get the job done. it is good news for Swihart but I think it could have waited another month or so. Maybe just to have him think that he needs to earn the job.

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    I like John Farrell but he does make me uneasy. Most of us would have bet that Swihart would be our opening day catcher but to make that statement right now before camp starts seems too early. There is nothing wrong with players competing for spots. No one really knows what kind of physical shape Vasquez will be in come the latter part of February. Come to think of it, a healthy Hannigan isn't the worst thing that could happen. Farrell has a history of doing things like this as well as his tendency to hang on to players long after it becomes apparent that they can no longer get the job done. it is good news for Swihart but I think it could have waited another month or so. Maybe just to have him think that he needs to earn the job.
    I can see it both ways. On the one hand, there's nothing wrong with having to compete for the job, as you said. On the other hand, there's something to be said for giving the kid a vote of confidence. In this particular case, Swihart knows that Vazquez will be waiting in the wings. Knowing that, Swihart is going to compete hard anyway.

As far as Farrell hanging on to a player too long, Dombrowski made a comment today regarding Hanley showing a sense of urgency. IMO, Dombrowski will not allow Farrell to hang on to any struggling player, not just Hanley, for too long.

Deity
    I do think that it is just a matter of personal preference and the way you approach things. I learned over the years to be very careful with how I worded things. I think that Farrell would be better off in the long run if he said less and made fewer statements that seem like promises. Calling Kelly and telling him not to worry about being traded. Telling Swihart before spring training starts that he is going to be your opening day starter. These sound like good things but sometimes words come back to haunt a person to easily. Even though Swihart starting might seem obvious, you really never know and my feeling is the less said the better. I think that you are right about Dombrowski. I hope you are. In addition, I would add that if when Vasquez is ready, he will be our number one catcher. If the plan is to keep Swihart, it only makes sense to get him working in an additional position. I don't see him as a backup catcher at all.

Deity
    Brad Inglis - 18 yrs. old . 6'4" with a big body just signed with the Sox. Hard throwing kid from Australia.