Register now to remove this ad

Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Prospects Thread

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Emp9 View Post
    What's Swiharts "Prospect Status" now.. Officially? Too many MLB games after being rushed to revert back?
    Not sure what his prospect status would be but his start in Pawtucket has been a slow one. His bat ultimately should be decent for a catcher. His catching ability - we will have to wait and see. He might very well stay in the Red Sox organization for lots of reasons. I hope he does.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    Not sure what his prospect status would be but his start in Pawtucket has been a slow one. His bat ultimately should be decent for a catcher. His catching ability - we will have to wait and see. He might very well stay in the Red Sox organization for lots of reasons. I hope he does.
    Somebody has to play left field for us on a regular basis and it won't be the best utility player in the game. Get him back in the infield where he belongs. I don't know where Benintendi will wind up playing but he is going to be in our outfield before anyone expects him to be. Watch him move!

Benintendi got a pair of hits tonight and has more walks than strikeouts on the season. He is just too good for A ball. He needs a challenge at AA.

Quote Originally Posted by Station 13 View Post
    Benintendi got a pair of hits tonight and has more walks than strikeouts on the season. He is just too good for A ball. He needs a challenge at AA.
    Woke up this morning, read some baseball related articles and the same thought occured to me. Benintendi needs to get the hell out of single A. Soon.

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Station 13 View Post
    Hell, he still has as many triples as strikeouts. Get this man (and Moncada) to Portland, stat.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    Somebody has to play left field for us on a regular basis and it won't be the best utility player in the game. Get him back in the infield where he belongs. I don't know where Benintendi will wind up playing but he is going to be in our outfield before anyone expects him to be. Watch him move!
    Benintendi - on the move soon.

All-Star
    Johnson: 5.2 IP, 6 H, 1 ER, 3 BB, 6 K
    Moncada: 2-for-3, 2 R, 2 SB
    Benintendi: 3-for-4, 2B, BB, SB, 4 RBI

Mister Anderson on the mound for Greenville today.

Benintendi is going to get sent up to Portland sometime between may 1st and june 1st. They usually do two big waves of promotions in the early summer (june) and at the end of the year in early august.

If this was any other year I'd say the Sox would hold off until June 1st no matter how well Benintendi hits, but DD is a different animal and I wouldn't be completely shocked if he's up in Portland in a week or two.

All-Star
    Hopefully it's on the earlier side, because honestly, keeping him in Salem for much longer would just feel like a waste at this point. As a guy who was dominating Division I ball before being drafted, it seems like they've been pretty conservative with him already.

In recent years, the Sox have typically waited until at least the All-Star break before promoting players to Double A (Garin Cecchini, Jackie Bradley Jr., Jacoby Ellsbury).

Yet Benintendi might be more advanced as a hitter at this stage of his career than all of them. Crockett noted that promotion decisions are taken individually, and there isn’t a one-size-fits-all timetable for advancing.

Players such as the Cubs’ Kyle Schwarber (who opened 2015 in Double A and went straight to the big leagues in June) and the Mets’ Michael Conforto (promoted from high Single A to Double A in late May last year) emerged as big league contributors one year after they were drafted.

Some evaluators believe Benintendi has a chance to fly through the minors at a similar pace, with Moncada not far behind.

Have they dominated the Carolina League to the point where a promotion would be imminent?

“That’s hard to say,” said Dombrowski. “They’re really talented and they’re excelling at this point, but after three weeks of the season, I think you want to hold your judgments to yourself at this point. You don’t want to rush it. I think you need a little bit more time than that.”

The Sox have yet to start internal conversations about a timetable for promoting Benintendi or Moncada. The organization continues to see benefits in letting the two play in Salem, where Carolina League pitchers will start to adjust their plans of attack in a way that will force the duo to make offensive adjustments — all with the accumulated reservoir of confidence drawn from their early successes.
    http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/re...9gO/story.html

Deity
    I truly get all the stuff people say about protecting and not rushing these kids but the flip side is that you want to make sure that they are challenged and that they are playing at the appropriate level. Moncada and Benintendi will be on the move.

Deity
    when the Sox do make a move, i would be willing to bet that Dubon will move right on up as well. Those 3 have been playing lights out.

“In seven years,” said one of the evaluators, “I have only put four 70/80 final grades on position players I saw in A ball: [Mike] Trout, [Bryce] Harper, [Mookie] Betts, and Benintendi.”
    I'm not really sure what that means, but I really like the list of names that Benintendi is in company with.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    I'm not really sure what that means, but I really like the list of names that Benintendi is in company with.
    That's pretty awesome, actually.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Scouts often use the 20-80 scale when evaluating a players tools or as an overall rating. 50 is considered average, Owens has a 70 change up and 40 command, JBJ has a 70-75 arm, Ortiz has 70 power, Pedroia has a 60 hit tool, Stanton has 80 power, for example (these are obviously debatable).

A prospect getting a 70 or above is a pretty big deal. They are pretty much saying you should be an all star caliber player.