Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 72 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring training

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Did he say this for real?
    I also heard that E-Rod has figured out his pitch-tipping thing and it's fixed.

It's a beautiful time of year.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post

it was a good article about E-Rod. Glad we have him.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Did he say this for real?
    No, I don't believe he actually said it in so many words, but I think it was his intent when he was talking about his offseason 'plan' to help him reach 200 innings.

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    Did he actually say that he vowed to? I know that he sees that as his target. What I thought was kind of revealing was that he said that this was a year big year for him contractually and would give him extra incentive to stay healthy and perform better. I guess you get to relax when you know you have inked the big deal. No sense of urgency - let it slide - pitch half a year and call it good. Life should be so nice for us all. Oh well - if he actually sees life this way maybe it means he will have a great year for us.
    No, he did not say that he vowed to.

As far as this being a big year for him contractually, isn't that the case with most of the ball players? I don't think that they let things "slide" once they have a big contract, because I really believe that the vast majority of them are professionals who have a sense of pride in themselves and in the game. But I do think many players kick it up a notch in that contract year as far as being in better condition and working a little harder, which makes you wonder why they don't do it every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post

It is a beautiful time of the year. Every player is in the best shape of his life.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    No, he did not say that he vowed to.

As far as this being a big year for him contractually, isn't that the case with most of the ball players? I don't think that they let things "slide" once they have a big contract, because I really believe that the vast majority of them are professionals who have a sense of pride in themselves and in the game. But I do think many players kick it up a notch in that contract year as far as being in better condition and working a little harder, which makes you wonder why they don't do it every year.
    Your last sentence is the primary point that I was trying to make. I think that the good ones do.

Your last sentence is the primary point that I was trying to make. I think that the good ones do.
    I don't know CP. This sounds like some kind of a shot towards Buchholz. Even Jon Lester had a career year in his walk year.

We all know Clay is fragile. However, I have never gotten the impression that he did not work hard or that he did not care about not being on the field.

Deity
    I don't know CP. This sounds like some kind of a shot towards Buchholz. Even Jon Lester had a career year in his walk year.

We all know Clay is fragile. However, I have never gotten the impression that he did not work hard or that he did not care about not being on the field.

Ok - I admit it. I hope that he pitches well for us this year but I am really not much of a fan. In all honesty I think that he is a numbskull but it makes little difference what I think of him.

Ok - I admit it. I hope that he pitches well for us this year but I am really not much of a fan. In all honesty I think that he is a numbskull but it makes little difference what I think of him.
    You are not alone in your beliefs.

Actually, I think it was due to Clay vowing to reach 200 innings this year.
    Here is what Nick Cafardo wrote:

■ “Clay Buchholz hopes to pitch 200 innings.” This is the seventh straight year for that goal, and he’s yet to reach it. "

Clay should stop talking and just start doing.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    I bet that there would be a whole bunch of us who would be willing to take what he gives us this year and then be willing to say see you later.

I don't know if I would call him a numbskull, but I think he is very fragile, both physically and mentally. His mental fragility shows when he is dealing with a physical injury and when he is on the field and he gets in a little trouble.

That said, I have always liked him. He is maddening at times, but when he's "good Clay", watching him pitch is a thing of beauty.

I'm not going to hold my breath for 200 innings, or even 180 innings, but if he gives us half a season like he did last season, I will be happy with his signing for this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    I am pretty sure the vast majority of fans just want him gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Elktonnick View Post
    Here is what Nick Cafardo wrote:

■ “Clay Buchholz hopes to pitch 200 innings.” This is the seventh straight year for that goal, and he’s yet to reach it. "

Clay should stop talking and just start doing.
    I agree with you that Clay needs to stop talking and let his performance on the field do the talking for him.

He sounded like he was really hoping that he would not be traded when all the trade speculation was circulating earlier in the offseason. Perhaps being in his contract year and knowing that the team has one more option that they can pick up on him will give him the incentive that he needs.

I am pretty sure the vast majority of fans just want him gone.
    Not me. I still hold out hope for him.