Register now to remove this ad

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728

Thread: 2016 Yankees Season thread

or he's shane spencer. i have an idea...let's make him the face of Yankees Universe like we did with that future HoFer Joba Chamberlain!!!
    other names i have posted under: none

Super, Duper Moderator Youk Of The Nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    or he's shane spencer. i have an idea...let's make him the face of Yankees Universe like we did with that future HoFer Joba Chamberlain!!!
    I'll always fondly remember the way people like John Sterling and Susan Waldman acted like Phil Hughes was going to be the next Roger Clemens for the next ten years. Chamberlain is a good example, too. Although I think Sanchez has far more potential than those two ever did.
    Quote Originally Posted by YANKEESRULE View Post
    Yea got hand it to the Sox, they just could not go queitly into the night. Well, they are just post-poning the inevitable.
    - From the 2004 ALCS Game 4 Gamethread. A reminder that no game is over until the final out is recorded, and things will always get better. Misspellings unchanged as a reminder that Yankees fans are just terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    LOL You are terrible.

And yet, I like you.

Joba's shoulder got wrecked and Hughes had the mentality of a lamb. Sanchez is a bit different mentality wise. He's been known as a selfish player prior to last year. Those might be the types the media comes to despise, but those are also the types who typically do well statistically

All-Star
    The thought of Bird, Sanchez, and Judge hitting in the middle of the order is pretty cool.

Exactly. The home grown power there is enticing. I also like the idea of Frazier and Didi setting them up and Mateo and Torres batting behind them

Sanchez is doing something historic right now. He keeps this up, they'll be putting him on 60 minutes. Who is this guy signed from an international draft hailing from the Dominican Republic? Yanks apparently signed him at 17. He's been a top 100 prospect since 2011 as rated by baseball america, mlb and baseballprospectus. This guy's on pace for +70 runs. That's Bonds territory. And if he's doing this clean? He's bigger than Trout, he's friggin' moby dick right now.

You have to expect him to fall back to earth, but if he doesn't? WOW. Yanks will have their next Superstar historic hitter. Sox are losing theirs. Too bad the season's ending soon. We'll have to wait for next year to see how Sanchez does over a whole season.

Right now, he's tearing it up to the finish line. Should be interesting in TO. Encarnacion - should the Yanks sign him? They'd make a good 1-2 punch. Even Bautista on a 1 or 2 year deal.

What Papi is doing is unbelievable. One of the game's best hitters is retiring while still being one the best hitters. Papi's a living legend and a HOFer. Giving him the busted phone was a great gift. Would have been funnier if it was the O's dugout phone, however. But I can understand a team not giving a gift to a guy that beat you. To the victors go the spoils.

This Yank fan will be happy to see Papi stop beating on the Yanks. The shoes on the other foot this time. Yanks lost a lot of their great players from the last decade. The turnover appears to be quicker than expected. Should be a fun season next year, too.

The Yanks have entertained me this year.
    Last edited by yankonyankee; 09-23-2016 at 06:58 PM.

I can't believe that I am about to say a second nice thing about a Yankee or the team as a whole today.

Thank you Horse Face and Hicks for hitting timely bombs.

Thank you old friend Tommy Layne for your heads up put out at home plate for the second out in the ninth.

Thank you Gardner for making that slide to end the game.

But fuck the Yankees anyway.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

"Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Yankees are not dead yet.
    How about now?
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Joba's shoulder got wrecked and Hughes had the mentality of a lamb. Sanchez is a bit different mentality wise. He's been known as a selfish player prior to last year. Those might be the types the media comes to despise, but those are also the types who typically do well statistically
    I always thought Terry Ryan was a good GM but he hitched his wagon to Hughes and it failed miserably.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

I could never wish the Yankees to succeed, but it would be refreshing to see their lineup full of young homegrown talent instead of fading has-beens with bloated contracts.

And while we're on the subject, given the amount the Yankees have spent on salary since that fateful night in Arizona, and only one title to show for it, is it about time Cashman was shown the door?
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

NS, Cashman isn't the issue. He has been pining for the rebuild for awhile now. He's been passed over in negotations for big free agents and has continually resisted the urge to spend more than he has to for acquiring talent. ARod, Soriano, Giambi, etc. Those deals were calls from agents to Levine and bypassed Cash. Cash won some serious autonomy in his last negotiations. He has rebuilt our farm system. He's kept first round picks. Hell, he turned a decrepit, old, boring lineup of 2006 all stars and engineered a rebuild that literally took 2 months. All this without one of the best rookie storylines of 2015 in Greg Bird. We have the potential for a VERY powerful lineup in 2017. Sanchez, Bird, Judge in the middle. We have Castro and Didi up the middle. Austin should have a role. Torreyes looks like a good utility guy. We have Frazier and Mason Williams sitting in the wings with Mateo and Torres in AA. The Justin Wilson deal looks like genius as Chad Green (if healthy) and Luis Cessa look to be strong candidates for starting spots. We actually have something to look forward to instead of waiting for the next shoe to drop. I am intrigued to see the direction of this offseason. I feel Cash has a directive from Stein to get under the cap and to rebuild over the next 2 seasons. Then after 2018, we will go absolutely insane.
    Hal sucks

NS, Cashman isn't the issue. He has been pining for the rebuild for awhile now. He's been passed over in negotations for big free agents and has continually resisted the urge to spend more than he has to for acquiring talent. ARod, Soriano, Giambi, etc. Those deals were calls from agents to Levine and bypassed Cash. Cash won some serious autonomy in his last negotiations. He has rebuilt our farm system. He's kept first round picks. Hell, he turned a decrepit, old, boring lineup of 2006 all stars and engineered a rebuild that literally took 2 months. All this without one of the best rookie storylines of 2015 in Greg Bird. We have the potential for a VERY powerful lineup in 2017. Sanchez, Bird, Judge in the middle. We have Castro and Didi up the middle. Austin should have a role. Torreyes looks like a good utility guy. We have Frazier and Mason Williams sitting in the wings with Mateo and Torres in AA. The Justin Wilson deal looks like genius as Chad Green (if healthy) and Luis Cessa look to be strong candidates for starting spots. We actually have something to look forward to instead of waiting for the next shoe to drop. I am intrigued to see the direction of this offseason. I feel Cash has a directive from Stein to get under the cap and to rebuild over the next 2 seasons. Then after 2018, we will go absolutely insane.
    Good read.

There will be lots of big names to choose from. There will be a better idea of what the big need areas are by then too.

I think the Yanks might surprise in 2017, but not too much.

Slav, I think the Yankees will be a .500 team if left alone. I just hope we don't make any rash decisions, like dealing our glut of young talent for a 33+ yr old big leaguer. I want to see some talent develop. I would actually like to see some older talent shipped away. Deal way McCann and Gardner. Move Ellsbury to LF. Give Mason Williams the keys to CF and see if he can run with it, etc.

As it stands right now, here is the lineup

1. Ellsbury CF
    2. Gardner LF
    3. Sanchez C
    4. Bird 1B
    5. Castro 2B
    6. Gregorius SS
    7. Headley 3B
    8. Judge RF
    9. Austin/McCann DH

That is a good lineup, especially if we see progression from Judge, Austin, and Bird. Our rotation for next yr..

1. Tanaka
    2. Sabathia
    3. Pineda
    4. Cessa/Mitchell/Green/Montgomery/Severino
    5. Cessa/Mitchell/Green/Montgomery/Severino

I love Tanaka. He was 3rd in the AL in ERA, started 31 games, threw nearly 200IP. Sabathia put up a 3.0WAR season. Pineda had a better season than ERA indicates. We have 5 real big league candidates for the 4 and 5 spots as well. If we can stabilize the back end with our current in house options, we could have a solid, playoff worthy rotation.

Just like everywhere else, our pen needs some kids to step up. The building blocks for now are there with Clippard, Warren and Betances. One of a bevvy of hard throwing relievers who made either their debuts or their returns to the pen needs to step up. Or we could just open the checkbook and sign Chapman to a long term deal and not need to pay a draft pick premium.

In the end, we need to see some growth. We have young power in the lineup, young power in the rotation and young power in the pen. We need to turn the potential into the now. If we do nothing, we are a .500 team, because it all won't blossom at the same time. If we add, we might improve on that. If we see ridiculous growth, then we could be a title contender. Our problem the past few yrs has been players past their primes who we were hoping a flicker of their prime would return. Starting next yr, it will be guys before their primes who we are hoping can develop and reach their prime before projection. This is way more fun
    Hal sucks

Slav, I think the Yankees will be a .500 team if left alone. I just hope we don't make any rash decisions, like dealing our glut of young talent for a 33+ yr old big leaguer. I want to see some talent develop. I would actually like to see some older talent shipped away. Deal way McCann and Gardner. Move Ellsbury to LF. Give Mason Williams the keys to CF and see if he can run with it, etc.

As it stands right now, here is the lineup

1. Ellsbury CF
    2. Gardner LF
    3. Sanchez C
    4. Bird 1B
    5. Castro 2B
    6. Gregorius SS
    7. Headley 3B
    8. Judge RF
    9. Austin/McCann DH

That is a good lineup, especially if we see progression from Judge, Austin, and Bird. Our rotation for next yr..

1. Tanaka
    2. Sabathia
    3. Pineda
    4. Cessa/Mitchell/Green/Montgomery/Severino
    5. Cessa/Mitchell/Green/Montgomery/Severino

I love Tanaka. He was 3rd in the AL in ERA, started 31 games, threw nearly 200IP. Sabathia put up a 3.0WAR season. Pineda had a better season than ERA indicates. We have 5 real big league candidates for the 4 and 5 spots as well. If we can stabilize the back end with our current in house options, we could have a solid, playoff worthy rotation.

Just like everywhere else, our pen needs some kids to step up. The building blocks for now are there with Clippard, Warren and Betances. One of a bevvy of hard throwing relievers who made either their debuts or their returns to the pen needs to step up. Or we could just open the checkbook and sign Chapman to a long term deal and not need to pay a draft pick premium.

In the end, we need to see some growth. We have young power in the lineup, young power in the rotation and young power in the pen. We need to turn the potential into the now. If we do nothing, we are a .500 team, because it all won't blossom at the same time. If we add, we might improve on that. If we see ridiculous growth, then we could be a title contender. Our problem the past few yrs has been players past their primes who we were hoping a flicker of their prime would return. Starting next yr, it will be guys before their primes who we are hoping can develop and reach their prime before projection. This is way more fun
    I hate to say it, but your future looks very bright.

I used to rant about the age and contract thing finally catching up with the Yanks. It took longer to happen than I projected, but it has also taken the yanks much shorter time than I expected to turn things around.

Kudos to Cash for having the huevos to fire sale the vets for some very promising prospects.

I had wished the Sox had done the same back in 2014, but I guess I can't argue too much with our results either.