Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Yankees Season thread

2016 Yankees Season thread

The off-season thread can officially be retired. I am a little late in starting this one. Regardless, ST is upon us and we are 3 or so weeks from opening day. I am intrigued by this year's team, yet come in with limited expectations. I feel they have the personnel, should things shake their way, to make the playoffs. They also have the possibility to crash and burn due to age and injury history.

Some updates out of ST. Rob Refsnyder is expected to make the team. He provides versatility, especially since he has shown enough to the brass to at least be a passable backup 3b. This leaves the possibility that Headley could be floated over to 1b or Ackley could see time at 1b if Tex goes down or when he needs a breather. The loss of Bird makes the point actually relevant, as he would have been the guy backing up Tex had he not lost his shoulder. As it stands now, the position players are as follows

1. McCann C
    2. Sanchez/Romine C
    3. Teixeira 1b
    4. Castro 2b
    5. Gregorius SS
    6. Headley 3B
    7. Gardner LF
    8. Ellsbury CF
    9. Beltran RF
    10. Rodriguez DH
    11. Hicks OF
    12. Ackley UTIL
    13. Refsnyder UTIL

It basically looks as if the only position battle is backup catcher. The rest are likely to be as above unless/when someone is injured. I do like the positional depth we have.

First base could be manned by Tex, Ackley, Headley or even Refsnyder
    Second base could be manned by Castro, Ackley or Refsnyder
    Shortstop could be Castro or Gregorius
    Third base could be Headley, Refsnyder, or ARod (in a pinch)
    The only OFer of the 4 incapable of handling CF is Beltran. Refsnyder and Ackley can also play the corners if needed

It's good to have redundancy, especially with a 1b and RF who are ancient and a CF and LF who seem to get nicked up a lot
    Hal sucks

Apparently Miller could be out for a while now. He got hit in the wrist by a liner and it is described Cashman said Miller has "at least a bruised right wrist." Tests will tell the entire story.

Chip fracture to non throwing wrist. Probably a 6 week injury. He'll be out longer than Chapman. Gonna be an interesting month. Betances should hold down the closers role. We have a TON of young power arms who are big league ready. It's time to see what they can do.

Brian Mitchell out 3 months with fractured toe.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Apparently Miller wants to try and pitch through his injury

Mitchell was our swing man for the most part. Nova will occupy that role out of the gate. Miller pitched through it today successfully.

Postponed until tomorrow.
    Hal sucks

Castro with a 2 run double in his first AB!

Castro was a good get for the Yanks. If they can keep him focused, he's an AS level 2B.
    We miss you Mike.

Yanks get screwed there. Betances should have just drilled the runner. Instead he airmailed him as he was well within the field of play

And two runs after the guy should have been struck out. Umps fucked us today

Was a real good game today until it fell apart late. Tanaka didn't have velocity, but nobody seemed to have their prime velo in the cold (including in CLE). But he was mixing in his stuff to perfection for the first turn through the lineup (which was perfect). Starting in the 4th, the ball kinda rode high on him, and it didn't help that his defense let him down a bit. Hicks came in on a liner that would have hit him in the chest had he frozen, and the ball ended up a double. That was run #1 and it was earned. Correia blasted one out to right on a hanger. But the 3 runs in the 8th were inexcuseable. With a runner on 2nd and 1 out, Springer hit a little roller down the 1b line. It was about 5 feet inside the basepath and the runner nearly kicked the ball. Betances picked it up and instead of drilling the runner in the back, he tried to throw it over him and sailed it into RF. Girardi tried to challenge, but was rebuffed, and played the game under protest. Later in the inning, Valbuena took what should have been strike three on a wicked slider that was well within the strike zone. The next pitch was a 2 run single, effectively ending the game. We mounted some rallies early, but were mowed down late as Kuechel retired his final 11 batters prior to exiting. We wont win the protest, but it was as obvious as most anything. Spring nearly kicked the ball, he was so far inside the line. Regardless, Betances looked shaky, Tanaka looked pretty good. Barbato and Shreve looked good. Gregorius and Castro swung the lumber, but the other guys looked pretty weak against the former CY winner. Tomorrow is another day
    Hal sucks

Keuchel's an ace. Can't expect to have a field day on him. Castro looked very impressive, seems like coming to NY gave him new life after his role with the Cubs had diminshed over the past year. If the bullpen doesn't come through for you in tie game situations, then you'll have some problems. We know that the pen with a lead is fine. Betances of course is so lights out. Even so, I bet things will stable out when Miller and Chapman get healthy. 3 runs in the 8th does not look good though, even if it is only day 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

Betances was the one who screwed up today (thanks in part to the umps). Miller is active at this time
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Betances was the one who screwed up today (thanks in part to the umps). Miller is active at this time
    I meant that this was unlike him, it's going to be a one time thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you