Register now to remove this ad

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What are you drinking?

New Belgium...... Flat Tire........ I'm a fan..
    In the town where I was born
    Lived a man who sailed to sea
    And he told us of his life
    In the land of submarines
    So we sailed up to the sun
    'Til we found a sea of green
    And we lived beneath the waves
    In our yellow submarine

Is it bourbon as well Sox Hop? I have to take note.
    Tiburones Rojos de Veracruz & Boston Red Sox

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    In the words of Don Corleone when he slaps a crying Johnny Fontaine: "Act like a man!" No, offense ladies.

Beer: Founders Ale all day IPA.

Liquor: Anything brown but my latest favorite has been Lagavulin Scotch on the rocks.

Wine: Anything Red

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post

Liquor: Anything brown but my latest favorite has been Lagavulin Scotch on the rocks.

beer - bud (not light)

Quote Originally Posted by iortiz View Post
    Is it bourbon as well Sox Hop? I have to take note.
    Nope..... that's a beer. Those Belgians make good beer, not sure if they do whisky.

Been meaning to tell you I went to a Mezcal bar here in Austin a month ago. I really liked the smokeyness of Mezcal that I had in Mexico, but many of the ones I tried at the bar had way to much of it for me. Some of them seriously taste like you are drinking a wood fire.

Is there a certain reason people drink Mezcal over tequila some times in Mexico?
    In our yellow submarine

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    beer - bud (not light)
    Now that it's America does it taste better?
    In our yellow submarine

Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post

brown liquor? The only liquor I can think of that is brown is dark rum? Are there Scotches that are dark?
    In our yellow submarine

Quote Originally Posted by SoxHop View Post
    Nope..... that's a beer. Those Belgians make good beer, not sure if they do whisky.

Been meaning to tell you I went to a Mezcal bar here in Austin a month ago. I really liked the smokeyness of Mezcal that I had in Mexico, but many of the ones I tried at the bar had way to much of it for me. Some of them seriously taste like you are drinking a wood fire.

Is there a certain reason people drink Mezcal over tequila some times in Mexico?
    Well, mezcal in recent years have gained a lot of fans not only in Mexico but around the world. The bottles, the exotic names of the bottles, the design of the bottles, the variety of tastes, the marketing, etc have helped a lot. Yes, Mezcal is way dry and stronger than tequila. I'd rather tequila, specially if it is white. Also mezcal is getting way expensive. If you want great mezcal and very cheap --10 bucks/bottle--, you have to go to Oaxaca, Mex and buy tons of boxes. it is hand-made --artesanal and delicious.

In Mexico, young adults -20/40 YO- prefer mezcal these days, while those who are not not that young --50+-- prefer tequila.

Regardimg bourbon, which ones do you recommend me? I only have tried Jack Daniels, it is the Jose Cuervo -tequila- of the bourbons, right?, average at best? LOL!

In the words of Don Corleone when he slaps a crying Johnny Fontaine: "Act like a man!" No, offense ladies.

Quote Originally Posted by iortiz View Post
    Well, mezcal in recent years have gained a lot of fans not only in Mexico but around the world. The bottles, the exotic names of the bottles, the design of the bottles, the variety of tastes, the marketing, etc have helped a lot. Yes, Mezcal is way dry and stronger than tequila. I'd rather tequila, specially if it is white. Also mezcal is getting way expensive. If you want great mezcal and very cheap --10 bucks/bottle--, you have to go to Oaxaca, Mex and buy tons of boxes. it is hand-made --artesanal and delicious.

In Mexico, young adults -20/40 YO- prefer mezcal these days, while those who are not not that young --50+-- prefer tequila.

Regardimg bourbon, which ones do you recommend me? I only have tried Jack Daniels, it is the Jose Cuervo -tequila- of the bourbons, right?, average at best? LOL!
    Interesting what you mentioned about Mezcal. I didn't know it was so trendy now. The only reason I was hooked is that I tried it on a trip I took to Mexico recently and I really liked it. I guess that we have a bar dedicated to Mezcal in Austin does mean it is somewhat trendy.

I'm from the USA East Coast, but I've lived in Arizona and Texas. I'm not too knowledgeable about tequila, but I've had some really good ones and some trash ones. I've been to a few bars that focus only on tequila and once in a while people bring a good bottle to a party where it gets opened and drunk in less than five minutes. At one high end tequila bar we had a tasting of about 5 high end tequilas. It was the first time I tried good tequila. I then understood the good stuff is so good you can sip it.

You know, Jack Daniels isn't that bad. It's a little rough, but it actually holds up.

I don't know what's available where you are. But if you see Makers Mark then you should probably try that because that is the step up from Jack. I actually don't like it much, but you need to try it. If you can get the Makers Mark 46, then you have a real good whisky.

Like any liquor, paying the extra 10 to 20 dollars for the higher end stuff will usually serve you well. Here in the USA and Texas we can get lots of small or medium production whiskeys. I'd expect in other countries you only get the popular stuff and maybe their higher end stuff.....maybe. So it's hard to recommend anything. But, knowing you and your taste for good things...... just pick something and pay the reserve or the small batch stuff and let us know.

I know you guys were trying to send booze to each other. Has anyone tried to do so? Has customs stopped it? I'd gladly send you a good bottle if we had a good chance it could make it to you.
    In our yellow submarine

Quote Originally Posted by SoxHop View Post
    Interesting what you mentioned about Mezcal. I didn't know it was so trendy now. The only reason I was hooked is that I tried it on a trip I took to Mexico recently and I really liked it. I guess that we have a bar dedicated to Mezcal in Austin does mean it is somewhat trendy.

I'm from the USA East Coast, but I've lived in Arizona and Texas. I'm not too knowledgeable about tequila, but I've had some really good ones and some trash ones. I've been to a few bars that focus only on tequila and once in a while people bring a good bottle to a party where it gets opened and drunk in less than five minutes. At one high end tequila bar we had a tasting of about 5 high end tequilas. It was the first time I tried good tequila. I then understood the good stuff is so good you can sip it.

You know, Jack Daniels isn't that bad. It's a little rough, but it actually holds up.

I don't know what's available where you are. But if you see Makers Mark then you should probably try that because that is the step up from Jack. I actually don't like it much, but you need to try it. If you can get the Makers Mark 46, then you have a real good whisky.

Like any liquor, paying the extra 10 to 20 dollars for the higher end stuff will usually serve you well. Here in the USA and Texas we can get lots of small or medium production whiskeys. I'd expect in other countries you only get the popular stuff and maybe their higher end stuff.....maybe. So it's hard to recommend anything. But, knowing you and your taste for good things...... just pick something and pay the reserve or the small batch stuff and let us know.

I know you guys were trying to send booze to each other. Has anyone tried to do so? Has customs stopped it? I'd gladly send you a good bottle if we had a good chance it could make it to you.
    Very interesting SoxHop and thank you. Honestly I have no idea how to send booze to other country from here but I'm going to try to find the bourbon you mentioned. I used to drink Jack when I was in collage, and I liked it a lot. Recently I became tequila lover so I used to drink more tequila and red wine these days.

Regarding tequila, I have had the opportunity to taste several and IMO the best tequila $/quality is Herradura Blanco. It is around 20 bucks/bottle here in Mexico, probably it could be bit more expensive in the USA if you find it.

On the other hand, my top Tequilas are:

Casa Dragones blanco.
    Tequila Porfidio blanco.
    Herradura Ultra.
    Don Julio 70.
    1800 Cristalino.
    Maestro Tequilero Doble Diamante.

The first two are not too commercial, but the last 4 you can find them everywhere here even in the US, I guess.
    Last edited by iortiz; 05-13-2016 at 11:31 PM.

I just took a pic of my fav LOL!