Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Cubs

The Cubs

I really really like how the Cubs look like just a week to start the season. I had my doubts regarding Theo as GM since he left a mess in Boston, but IMO he has learned and matured a lot since then. Good for him and the Cubs.

I see a great combination of proven super stars and high caliber young players, I see a balanced team all the way; great pitching and good bats. Also they have arguably the best fan base in baseball and a lot of money.

They have all the pieces together to win. On paper, they must be the fav to win it all this year. Imagine a WS between the Red Sox and the Cubs, would be epic.
    Tiburones Rojos de Veracruz & Boston Red Sox

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    In the words of Don Corleone when he slaps a crying Johnny Fontaine: "Act like a man!" No, offense ladies.

The Cubs look to be set to be real contenders for several years to come. Theo did a great job with that franchise.

FTR, he did not leave this team in a mess. The higher ups did that. And Theo did not learn and mature a lot since then. He already knew how to build a team, he just wasn't given the autonomy to do it the way he wanted to do it. Same with Ben.

I would love to see a Red Sox/Cubs World Series, with the Sox winning, of course. But if it's not the Sox, I really hope the Cubs win it all.

He left a clogged team at the time. His tenure in the last years in Boston weren't good at all. I think he learned of that. At the time he had more autonomy than Ben by far IMO, but we will never know. On the other hand Ben was always a puppet.

Anyways, I like the Cubs, but still we have to see how they perform in the field.

In the words of Don Corleone when he slaps a crying Johnny Fontaine: "Act like a man!" No, offense ladies.

Theo had a 5 year plan. Hoard elite prospects and top picks. Make shrewd, excellent trades. Spend money intelligently.

Cashner for Rizzo. Feldman for Strop and Arrieta. Shark for Addison Russell, Billy Mckinney. Dempster for Hendricks. Jorge Soler on the cheap.

Its a shame that they let Theo go instead of Loopy Larry.

I think Theo's cycle in Boston was already finished. Both, Boston and Theo needed fresh air. Boston already won a WS with LL. Theo seems to be in that way. IMO Both took the right the decision at the time, Boston let him go and he took a rebuilding franchise where he is showing his abilities as GM.

Fuck the Cubs and their shitty fanbase.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by iortiz View Post
    I really really like how the Cubs look like just a week to start the season. I had my doubts regarding Theo as GM since he left a mess in Boston, but IMO he has learned and matured a lot since then. Good for him and the Cubs.

I see a great combination of proven super stars and high caliber young players, I see a balanced team all the way; great pitching and good bats. Also they have arguably the best fan base in baseball and a lot of money.

They have all the pieces together to win. On paper, they must be the fav to win it all this year. Imagine a WS between the Red Sox and the Cubs, would be epic.
    Theo was a great GM while he was in Boston. He fell victim to the same backstage politicking that drove Cherington out of town. Just admit he's way better than many of you gave him credit for and move on. He's one of the premier executives in the game, and was so during his tenure in Boston as well. How good would it be to have him as president of baseball ops right this instant.
    We miss you Mike.

the credit was always there, but he had to go. You just can't hide his performance as a GM in the last years here. As I said, he left a mess, reason why they let him go. On the other hand if I had to choose a GM for this team I would chosee Friedman over anyone in the game in a heartbeat.

Anyways, and back to topic, I see the NYM, LAD and the Cubs as the front runners in the NL.
    Last edited by iortiz; 03-27-2016 at 07:17 PM.

They are all a bunch of overpaid suits imo. Even the good ones are fungible. I don't give a hoot about any of them. Just make the right moves, boys, and give me a good team to watch.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

They are all a bunch of overpaid suits imo. Even the good ones are fungible. I don't give a hoot about any of them. Just make the right moves, boys, and give me a good team to watch.
    Well, I have seen better ideas here than the executed by our FO in recent years LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by User Name? View Post
    Theo was a great GM while he was in Boston. He fell victim to the same backstage politicking that drove Cherington out of town. Just admit he's way better than many of you gave him credit for and move on. He's one of the premier executives in the game, and was so during his tenure in Boston as well. How good would it be to have him as president of baseball ops right this instant.
    Spot on post. I would take Theo back in a heartbeat. Francona too. Not many appreciated the greatness that we had in those two.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Spot on post. I would take Theo back in a heartbeat. Francona too. Not many appreciated the greatness that we had in those two.
    Theo's problem was that he couldn't figure out how to swim with the sharks (LL, Muppet Werner and Vlad Dracul).

Francona was a great coach. He's the best Sox manager I've seen in my lifetime.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

They fell apart in the NLCS, and have only added to their roster. At they legit WS favorites? Sure. Of course. The Spx choked in the LCS the year before breaking their curse. I'm not drawn to the Cubs. I like their management, and their new attitude of running the team. It's great for baseball that they're good again, but I feel like I can't note their achievements and all Theo and Maddon's hard work until they win a World Series. Until last year, they'd been a last place team basically my whole conscious lifetime, so I stil associate them as such.
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Theo's problem was that he couldn't figure out how to swim with the sharks (LL, Muppet Werner and Vlad Dracul).

Francona was a great coach. He's the best Sox manager I've seen in my lifetime.
    There is only so much anyone can do when their boss is mandating how to run things.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    They fell apart in the NLCS, and have only added to their roster. At they legit WS favorites? Sure. Of course. The Spx choked in the LCS the year before breaking their curse. I'm not drawn to the Cubs. I like their management, and their new attitude of running the team. It's great for baseball that they're good again, but I feel like I can't note their achievements and all Theo and Maddon's hard work until they win a World Series. Until last year, they'd been a last place team basically my whole conscious lifetime, so I stil associate them as such.
    The Cubs look like the odds on favorites on paper, but of course they still need to play the games.

As far as their recent achievements go, in 4 short years, Theo took the Cubs from being perennial bottom dwellers with losing records to having the 3rd best record in baseball and being a long term contender. That is quite an achievement.