Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: JBj v Ellsbury Tracker - 2016

JBj v Ellsbury Tracker - 2016

Greetings all. Since BDC is shutting down in a month I thought I would start the Slasher Tracker thread over here. For those that don't know about this thread, I started a thread for the past 3 years since the EE signed Ellsbury. there were some posters on BDC that thought the Red Sox FO should have outbid the Yankees for Ellsbury. I was adamant that we made the correct decision in letting him walk. The plan is to compare the daily stats game by game of the 2 starting center fielders. 2014 matched up Ells v Sizemore. that didn't last long. Last year's matchup was Ells v Mookie.

I have copied over the opening post to the thread from BDC: (please note I am not going to copy over every post up until this point in the season - my next post in this thread will be Game 19.)
    current thread on BDC for anyone that wants to see the previous 18 games: http://www.boston.com/community/foru...8898135?page=3

A brand new season brings us a brand new CF matchup. Coming off his dominating beatdown of Ellsbury in 2015 Mr. Mookie Betts has shifted over to RF giving one last shot to our defensive superhero Jackie Bradley Jr. to take the reigns as the starting CFer for the Boston Red Sox.

This tracker will run very similar to last years matchup with scoring and day-to-day stats. As always i am more than happy to review a particular day if a fellow poster disagrees with my ruling.

Good luck to both participants. (well, not really. i hope JE gets smoked again).

2015 Final Tally:

MB: 74.5 ST (Slasher Tracker) score / 6.0 WAR

JE: 48.0 ST score / 1.9 WAR

2015 thread:

http://www.boston.com/community/foru...15/100/7971768

2016 Final Tally:

JBj: 87 ST (Slasher Tracker) score / 5.3 WAR

JE: 56 ST score / 2.8 WAR

JBj: $547,000
    JE: $21,142,857

2015 & 2016 Combined:

MB/JBj: 161.5 ST score / 11.3 WAR

JE: 104 ST score / 4.7 WAR

MB/JBj: $1,061,500
    JE: $42,285,714
    Last edited by Slasher9; 04-04-2017 at 12:47 PM. Reason: adding 2016 final tally to OP

GAME 19 - JBj

JBj: 1-4 / RBI / RS

JE: 0-4 / GIDP

Score:

JBj: 9

JE: 5

Tie: 5
    Last edited by Slasher9; 04-27-2016 at 06:57 AM. Reason: updated results

Major Leaguer
    Hey Slash!

Not sure how you want to add this to your tracker, but it's great that JBJ had the game winning hit in two of the recent games, with the solo shot last night and the 12th inning hit against the 'Stros. I watched both games all the way through. I say that because sometimes the feed freezes. It wasn't fun watching Kimbrell give up the moonshot to the erstwhile Blue Jay, but he shut down the Bravos last night. Porcello was terrific.

Quote Originally Posted by SinceYaz View Post
    Hey Slash!

Not sure how you want to add this to your tracker, but it's great that JBJ had the game winning hit in two of the recent games, with the solo shot last night and the 12th inning hit against the 'Stros. I watched both games all the way through. I say that because sometimes the feed freezes. It wasn't fun watching Kimbrell give up the moonshot to the erstwhile Blue Jay, but he shut down the Bravos last night. Porcello was terrific.
    Hey SY, good to see you over here. there are certain times that i may highlight something as you state in parenthesis. for example game 13 when JBj got the only RS hit. but it wont normally affect (or is effect??) the outcome of the scoring as in all fairness while i watch every inning of the Red Sox i do not watch every inning of the MFY so am not able to always confirm if JE does something extraordinary.

Hey Slash!

Good to see you here Yaz!!!! Agree with what you said. GW hits are HUGE and should count a bit more......not sure what formula to use for that but it certainly should be considered.

I was at first against this whole thing last year Slash......but I gotta admit.....it actually is pretty fun to see the final outcome and makes things a bit more interesting......so I'll my negativity on this one! Keep up the good work my friend!

Major Leaguer
    Whooaaa .... I wouldn't wish that upon anyone...watching every inning of MFY games. Hah!

Keep up the good work! JBJ is still developing at the plate but all the marks are there for him to be a top notch player, IMO. Chili Davis has his work cut out but I still think the subject matter is worthy.

Major Leaguer
    It feels good being here, Kingface. Thanks ... and thanks to JBay for the thread at the old site. I had an account at OvertheMonstah but that site has grown to something I don't recognize. Simple minded me.

Good format here, says I. Glad for it and kudos to those who have it set up.

All-Star
    I know it's just a fun exercise, but I never cared much for these threads (no offense, Slash) because I don't feel JBJ, Mookie, or any of our other young players needs to have their success measured by constant comparison to Ellsbury or any other player. I'm fine with them being the best that they can be regardless of what JE is or isn't doing. [Unsolicited 2 cents over, lol.]

I agree, but I also think that these threads are pertinent and interesting because they tell us the difference between the young guy and the veteran who tried to bend us over and went to the high bidder when we wouldn't pay a premium. So far going with youth has been the better choice, so I'm glad the FO held the line, even if my heart broke when Ellsbury moved on.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Hey Slash!

How many points for Ellsbury stealing home? The most exciting play in the game!
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    How many points for Ellsbury stealing home? The most exciting play in the game!
    I remember when he went from 2b to home on a wild pitch, but I think he has slowed some. Yankees wanted the 2011 Ellsbury, but that guy is no more. 2011 was a career year, worth millions, but it clearly was also an anomaly. 32 dingers when he averages 10/season even in friendly Yankee stadium.

He's still a decent player but I wouldn't be wanting to pay that contract for a guy who was outWAR'd by Jarrod Dyson last year (think about that for a second).
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    I remember when he went from 2b to home on a wild pitch, but I think he has slowed some. Yankees wanted the 2011 Ellsbury, but that guy is no more. 2011 was a career year, worth millions, but it clearly was also an anomaly. 32 dingers when he averages 10/season even in friendly Yankee stadium.
    I think they were thinking they were getting 2013 Ellsbury with a short porch in right. It's basically what they got in 2014 (increased hr's from 9 to 16). If he played like 2014 for the rest of the contract, they wouldn't complain, but there's no way they get 5 more years of healthy Ellsbury.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Well 2013 he was worthy of being on MVP ballots (basically the best AL CF not named Trout). (at least downballot) The Yankees thought they were getting that CF defense augmented by the chance to drop the head of the bat on some inside pitches and pull some homeruns. For that price it was a reasonable bet for a team with their coffers. A bet that hasn't worked, obviously.

GAME 20 - JBj

JBj: 1-4 / RBI / RS

JE: 0-4

Score:

JBj: 10

JE: 5

Tie: 5
    Last edited by Slasher9; 04-28-2016 at 09:22 AM.