Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 116 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Trade and Roster Move Speculation thread

2016 Trade and Roster Move Speculation thread

Figured it would be a good time to set one of these things up, just to provide people one place for all the crazy trade ideas that are going to start flying around here as the weather heats up. Wouldn't be a baseball forum without some crazy trade notions.

If I could request one additional ground rule for this thread -- please don't ridicule anyone else's trade suggestions beyond some variant of "that is improbable." People are going to get caught up in an idea beyond the point of reason and need to get it off their chest sometimes, that's one of the reasons I want this outlet to exist. We all get the mad trade theory bug from time to time so be gentle when it's someone else's turn, alright?

Well with that said, I'm'a kick things off with this suggestion.

To the Giants

Marco Hernandez
    Brian Johnson

to the Red Sox

Gregor Blanco

I think Blanco would be a great fit for the organization. his offense appears limited but what he does have is geared towards OBP and speed, which are two strengths the organization seems to value at the moment, he could take over the table setting job or just provide some additional speed to the lower part of the lineup, and he plays 3 outfield positions. He wouldn't be an ideal starting LF, but he's been good enough to take regular playing time in San Fran, so he's worth taking a risk on to expand our roster depth. Grabbing Blanco would allow Holt to go back to the all important supersub role as well, which would be a nice plus.

As for what we're sending the other way, Johnson and Hernandez are both valuable pieces that I feel we can spare, that I also feel the Giants would be intrigued by. Everyone can use a young utility infielder who's hit well in the upper minors, heck that's pretty much where Brock Holt came from, and Hernandez is blocked here. And I feel our rotation has the depth to allow us to part with Johnson who has some command concerns, while I feel the Giants would be interested in adding to their LHSP depth. I think though that that trade would be a decent fit giving both sides something they want.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

My bet is still on Andrew Cashner for middling prospects like a Brentz/Coyle type.

He produces a lot of groundballs, has some high strikeout numbers this season. He's on the last year of his contract on a last place team. He's had some injury history and a meh start to the season, so he could be a good get for a somewhat low cost.

Julio Tehran would also be awesome, but he's going to cost way more than a back-end starter should.

I'd like to point out that Coyle and Brentz in particular have no value at all.

Also... umm.. how can I put this? i feel we can do better than Cashner, who's putting up below average numbers in San Diego. When healthy, which if Price, Eddie, Wright, Porcello and Buchholz are you going to replace with Cashner?

I feel that this trade is improbable.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    I'd like to point out that Coyle and Brentz in particular have no value at all.

Also... umm.. how can I put this? i feel we can do better than Cashner, who's putting up below average numbers in San Diego. When healthy, which if Price, Eddie, Wright, Porcello and Buchholz are you going to replace with Cashner?

I feel that this trade is improbable.
    We can throw in better middling prospects, players with low ceilings and somewhat high floors. I am worried about this team's starting pitching depth.

Buchholz is one bad night sleep away from the DL, and Owens/Kelly haven't looked like MLB pitchers. After Johnson, who replaces the next injury?

the problem is cashner is kind of the worst of both worlds right now. He's pitching poorly, but used to pitch very very well so a team would ask for more based on that.

Also the fact is that Cashner is a guy who gives up a lot of baserunners and a lot of base hits, that's a poor fit for a smaller park like Fenway that can turn those hits into doubles more easily than anywhere else.

I do agree that we could use an additional starter. I do feel we should look for someone else however.

How about Jorge de la Rosa? He's off to an execrable start in Colorado this year but he's been above average each of the previous 3 years, he might be a good guy to take a chance on.
    Last edited by Dojji; 05-07-2016 at 11:09 AM.

You want to give Johnson for a 30+ journeyman? This team is loaded with OF, including Benintendi who could be knocking on the doors very soon.
    Get a real LF and not play some half-assed product there instead.

Believe it or not, Blanco is an above average offensive player. Kinda puts Holt's performance in LF in a new light doesn't it?

Brian Johnson is nothing special. dime a dozen LHSP with control issues.

Believe it or not, Blanco is an above average offensive player. Kinda puts Holt's performance in LF in a new light doesn't it?

Brian Johnson is nothing special. dime a dozen LHSP with control issues.
    Someone who has a 97OPS+ career is not even average. If you talk about his recent years, it's still awful for a corner OF.

Quote Originally Posted by Palodios View Post
    My bet is still on Andrew Cashner for middling prospects like a Brentz/Coyle type.

He produces a lot of groundballs, has some high strikeout numbers this season. He's on the last year of his contract on a last place team. He's had some injury history and a meh start to the season, so he could be a good get for a somewhat low cost.

Julio Tehran would also be awesome, but he's going to cost way more than a back-end starter should.
    Brentz and Coyle are DFA candidates.

I'd offer Swihart, Holt, Devers and two from Johnson, Owens, Kopech and TBall for Kluber.

I doubt Kluber is available, he's under contract to a poor team at a very affordable rate for 5 more years, that's too much control to walk away from without a mammoth offer.

Legend
    Gregor Blanco will be a free agent at the end of the season. I doubt a few months of the 33-year-old outfielder has much trade value. I'm not a huge fan of Marco Hernandez and Brian Johnson but I would not trade both for Blanco.

I doubt Kluber is available, he's under contract to a poor team at a very affordable rate for 5 more years, that's too much control to walk away from without a mammoth offer.
    Yeah, they'd insist on a Benintendi or Moncada addition. How about adding Kelly to my original offer.
    I'd hate to add JBJ, but I think that's who Cleveland wanted last winter.

Shields is someone the Padres are looking to get rid off. I wonder if they take Owens/Johnson+, and expect the Red Sox to pay for that contract.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Yeah, they'd insist on a Benintendi or Moncada addition. How about adding Kelly to my original offer.
    I'd hate to add JBJ, but I think that's who Cleveland wanted last winter.
    A Cleveland club that many expect to advance to the postseason is highly unlikely to trade its ace (especially with the recent injury to Carlos Carrasco):

http://www.fangraphs.com/coolstandings.aspx