Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Benintendi watch

Quote Originally Posted by Emp9 View Post
    Post season... a La Bogaerts. That's when we see him.
    At this point in the 2013 season Bogaerts was in Portland, but he had 100 games under his belt...not 3. Also I think Bogaerts had/has a higher offensive ceiling than someone like Benintendi who is more of a moderately high ceiling high floor guy. I'm not saying he can't do it, but if he's going to be there in October he has to be there in August and we are assuming he's going to jump 2 more levels in 2 months after only playing 3 games above A ball.

In what planet did Bogaerts had a higher offensive ceiling than Benintendi, per scoutings and projections?
    We miss you Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    At this point in the 2013 season Bogaerts was in Portland, but he had 100 games under his belt...not 3. Also I think Bogaerts had/has a higher offensive ceiling than someone like Benintendi who is more of a moderately high ceiling high floor guy. I'm not saying he can't do it, but if he's going to be there in October he has to be there in August and we are assuming he's going to jump 2 more levels in 2 months after only playing 3 games above A ball.
    I didn't believe when I wrote it either. Just a day dream. A hyperbolic day dream is all : )

Now that Brock Holt is on the DL, and not performing very well before then, does Benintendi get a shot sooner rather than later? I hope that the Sox don't rush this guy to the majors. Let him continue to develop in the minors, and he can be our left fielder of the future. After calling up Swihart as opposed to Castillo for tonight's game, it is clear that the organization has all but given up on him. I still think Swihart is the catcher of the future while Vazquez will be a very very good backup, perhaps a personal catcher for a starting pitcher down the road. Therefore, there is a hole in left field that I think should be filled by Benintendi, just not this year

Benintendi was just promoted to Portland and is still adjusting to AA pitching. The idea that he's ready in any way to play the game at the big league level now is incredibly ludicrous. If he plays this year it will be in September.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Quote Originally Posted by User Name? View Post
    In what planet did Bogaerts had a higher offensive ceiling than Benintendi, per scoutings and projections?
    Planet earth.

I want to see proof of this if possible. Bogaerts was lauded as a guy with above-average power and overall offense for a shortstop, which is the big caveat. Benintendi is an OF with a very high ceiling in all offensive categories. In fact, he profiles very similarly to Bogaerts with the added bonus of above-average speed. The only reason why Bogaerts was better regarded than Benintendi is right now (overall) is because he played SS. Had Benintendi been a SS and Bogaerts an OF, we would be having this exact same conversation but the other way around right now.
    We miss you Mike.

I want to see proof of this if possible. Bogaerts was lauded as a guy with above-average power and overall offense for a shortstop, which is the big caveat. Benintendi is an OF with a very high ceiling in all offensive categories. In fact, he profiles very similarly to Bogaerts with the added bonus of above-average speed. The only reason why Bogaerts was better regarded than Benintendi is right now (overall) is because he played SS. Had Benintendi been a SS and Bogaerts an OF, we would be having this exact same conversation but the other way around right now.
    No we wouldn't, if anything Benintendi is more heralded as an up the middle defender and Bogaerts was considered an offense first SS. This is 2016 and you have google, it's not a secret. When Bogaerts was at this stage of his development he was younger than Benintendi and the #2 prospect in all of baseball. Benintendi is a really really really highly regarded prospect but 2013 Bogaerts > 2016 Benintendi all day. Andrew has the #7 pick expectations that never came with Xander. If a 20 year old Xander entered the draft as an eligible sophomore I think he'd be a consensus #1 pick.
    Last edited by A Red Sox fan named Hugh; 05-21-2016 at 08:16 PM.

No we wouldn't, if anything Benintendi is more heralded as an up the middle defender and Bogaerts was considered an offense first SS. This is 2016 and you have google, it's not a secret. When Bogaerts was at this stage of his development he was younger than Benintendi and the #2 prospect in all of baseball. Benintendi is a really really really highly regarded prospect but 2013 Bogaerts > 2016 Benintendi all day. Andrew has the #7 pick expectations that never came with Xander. If a 20 year old Xander entered the draft as an eligible sophomore I think he'd be a consensus #1 pick.
    Yes, because Xander played SS, the most difficult position to find consistent offense in besides catcher. Not all up the middle positions were created the same. Offense-first SS or not, it's his position (and the likelyhood of staying there) that supported a good chunk of his status as a top prospect. As you said, it's 2016, so it's not that hard to find and read the scouting reports.
    We miss you Mike.

The streak attests to Benintendi’s advanced skill as a hitter. Evaluators from two American League organizations gave the 21-year-old a grade of 70 — on a scale of 20-80 — for his ability as a pure hitter, a grade usually reserved for potential All-Stars and batting titlists.

“In seven years,” said one of the evaluators, “I have only put four 70/80 final grades on position players I saw in A ball: [Mike] Trout, [Bryce] Harper, [Mookie] Betts, and Benintendi.”

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/r...9gO/story.html
    We miss you Mike.

Yes, because Xander played SS, the most difficult position to find consistent offense in besides catcher. Not all up the middle positions were created the same. Offense-first SS or not, it's his position (and the likelyhood of staying there) that supported a good chunk of his status as a top prospect. As you said, it's 2016, so it's not that hard to find and read the scouting reports.
    Centerfield is pretty important too, and there was a much larger consensus that Bogaerts couldn't stick at SS and would have to move to 3rd. I follow the minors more than the majors, I read just about every scouting organization there is. Anyone who has paid attention to milb talent the past few years will tell you Bogaerts had more hype. You want proof? #2 prospect in baseball, people were saying he had an MVP ceiling in 2013, people are saying Benitendi has an ALL star ceiling.

Now maybe Bogaerts power never comes and Benintendi exceeds Bogaerts. But Bogaerts had a perceived higher ceiling in 2013 than Benitendi does now. And I'd argue Bogaerts still does.

Centerfield is pretty important too, and there was a much larger consensus that Bogaerts couldn't stick at SS and would have to move to 3rd. I follow the minors more than the majors, I read just about every scouting organization there is. Anyone who has paid attention to milb talent the past few years will tell you Bogaerts had more hype. You want proof? #2 prospect in baseball, people were saying he had an MVP ceiling in 2013, people are saying Benitendi has an ALL star ceiling.

Now maybe Bogaerts power never comes and Benintendi exceeds Bogaerts. But Bogaerts had a perceived higher ceiling in 2013 than Benitendi does now. And I'd argue Bogaerts still does.
    Yes, because his offensive contributions are much more valuable because of the position that he plays. That is the whole point.

From 2013-today, the average SS has produced a .696 OPS.

From 2013-today, the average CF has produced a .722 OPS, and the total is even higher for overall OF (Benintendi may end up a LF which also further impacts his prospect ranking).

At age 21, Bogaerts had a 60 hit/70 powe/50 run/65 overall ranking.

Benintendi currently sports a 70 overall rating with 70 hit/50 power/60 run.
    We miss you Mike.

Actually, many scouts had Bogey's likely landing place at 3B.

Bogaerts was not a consensus to stick at SS. No one said it was impossible, but a lot of people predicted he'd eventually have to move to the corners. And his offensive ceiling was considered very high from day 1. There were somewhat inappropriate comparisons to Nomar Garciaparra.

bogaerts was and is considered to have 25-30 HR power potential if he hits his peak. It's hard to remember sometimes considering how much baseball he has under his belt that Bogaerts is still just 23 and has some filling out ahead of him. What we have now is an incredibly valuable ballplayer. what we have now is not the highest Bogaerts might aspire to, and that's exciting.

The fact of the matter is that no matter where bogaerts put up his current numbers he'd be a regular All-Star candidate at the very least. Shortstop just makes all this extra super ultra exciting (and expensive when contract time rolls around). If Benintendi comes close to delivering the same performance in the outfield he'll be quite welcome here regardless of meaningless questions about which of two different players at different positions had the higher ceiling.
    Last edited by Dojji; 05-22-2016 at 05:50 AM.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Oh, so Red Sox player discussion on a Red-Sox related website regarding prospects' ceilings is meaningless? Perhaps it would be better if we discussed Tug Hulett?
    We miss you Mike.