Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 224 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Sox Pitching Staff Discussion

Super, Duper Moderator Youk Of The Nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    Dammit. I 100% agree with the MFY fan again. This site is bizarro world for me sometimes.
    It happens a lot. For a Yankees fan, he's remarkably not stupid. Annoying, condescending, arrogant, opinionated, ugly, unlikable, probably a furry, short, unfunny, a terrible lay according to his wife...but not stupid.

Listen to me, gushing over the guy. Love you, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by YANKEESRULE View Post
    Yea got hand it to the Sox, they just could not go queitly into the night. Well, they are just post-poning the inevitable.
    - From the 2004 ALCS Game 4 Gamethread. A reminder that no game is over until the final out is recorded, and things will always get better. Misspellings unchanged as a reminder that Yankees fans are just terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    LOL. UN, you are right. DD came in, shot the wad, got the big ticket purchases and told the world "we're back". Thus far, mid May, you are. Yet, you have one fatal flaw which can be acquired because of the depth of minor league talent. You have the stuff in the minors not just to get a good pitcher, but to acquire an elite one. You also don't have a AAA guy right now who could be brought up mid season and dominate a la ERod and Severino last yr. If you don't acquire a starter this yr, it would be damning. This is apparently Papi's last yr. The offense is killing it. Even without Smith (who gets TJS IMO) your pen should be lights out. But that rotation will not win you a world series. Have Price right himself, get a top notch #2 (or even someone to supplant Price as the 1) and roll into the playoffs as the favorites in the AL
    Agree...Why go get Price, Kimbrel, and Smith if youre just going to prepare for 2017. We have a lot of prospects and a couple guys on the 25 man that could be available in a trade for a TOTR arm. Just depends on whos still in the race come the end of July.
    I still think Swihart will be used in a trade for that pitcher.

Basically SouthPaw, we just need to keep pace. Ny & TB don't worry me as much as Bal & Tor on that front. Are your rather tranquil posts concerning injuries to ERod & Smith genuine? Because I thought these two were goingto be a big part of any success we had this year. We've been keeping pace without them yes, but will that last?

Quote Originally Posted by Emp9 View Post
    Basically SouthPaw, we just need to keep pace. Ny & TB don't worry me as much as Bal & Tor on that front. Are your rather tranquil posts concerning injuries to ERod & Smith genuine? Because I thought these two were goingto be a big part of any success we had this year. We've been keeping pace without them yes, but will that last?
    Hey Emp!
    I do have some concern with the starting rotation. With Erod i was just saying its not a shoulder or anything to do with his arm so im not as concerned. We need him back for sure. I think the BP is very strong, even without Smith. It sucks hes not there, but I really do think we can be just fine with what we have there right now.
    My concern is the rotation, but after seeing what DD has attempted to do so far I think he will make the necesary moves needed.
    I guess knowing that the payroll can and will be exceeded and the fact that we have plenty of trade chips, Im not really too concerned at this point. Both of Baltimore and Toronto have rotation and bullpen concerns so i dont see either one dominating. Not concerned about NY or TB one bit this year.
    Personally, I never really get worried this early anyway. I pretty much try and stay balanced, level headed and realistic about things...
    Last edited by southpaw777; 05-19-2016 at 09:12 AM.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Emp9 View Post
    Actually, we need to have a comfortable lead by the time Sept rolls around. Have you looked at that schedule? Its a brutal Sept schedule and it will be very difficult to make up ground that month.
    In regards to Rodriguez and Smith: I do not have any faith in the Red Sox medical staff to correctly diagnose and treat the players. I am pretty sure they missed something when they guessed what injuries were actually suffered. Hopefully both players will get sent out to a competent medical doctor outside the system for another opinion-before its too late.

Well, the trade dealine (non-waiver) is August 1st. Teams generally wait to see if they're buyers or sellers. Late June, early July, mid July... we should get a better picture of whats out there. I hope the Sox don't wait until 3:59p Monday Aug 1st to address their needs. But even if they did, it's still a whole month before Sept comes around.

We definitely needed that extra pitcher once ERod went down. It was clear within the first week or so that he wouldn't be ready for the season opener. Considering all of the other question marks in the rotation, that was the time to make a deal. They definitely lucked into Wright's performance.

If they had not picked up Buchholz's option, they could have grabbed a more reliable starter for similar or less money (i.e. JA Happ, Doug Fister, Colby Lewis) and the rotation would be looking much better.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

maybe we should have taken a flyer on Lincecum....?
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    maybe we should have taken a flyer on Lincecum....?
    I'd rather have Buchholz in the rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    We definitely needed that extra pitcher once ERod went down. It was clear within the first week or so that he wouldn't be ready for the season opener. Considering all of the other question marks in the rotation, that was the time to make a deal. They definitely lucked into Wright's performance.

If they had not picked up Buchholz' option, they could have grabbed a more reliable starter for similar or less money (i.e. JA Happ, Doug Fister, Colby Lewis) and the rotation would be looking much better.
    you guys know that in the offseason I wanted Wei-Yin Chen. I would have happily dropped Buchholz on someone and used the money to bring in Chen as well as Price, even if it meant paying more on the payroll tax. Chen is the #2-3 starter (more of a 3 really but he does fit the description) that we needed in the offseason and the FO clearly wasn't even thinking of going in that direction. Why? because in theory if everyone was healthy and effective we didn't have a spot for him.

This is what sucks about Buchholz though -- you can't commit to a professional to take over his innings because he's physically present on the roster, but you K-N-O-W that you're going to need to pick up some of those innings and there's a possibility he's going to be completely ineffective. He's like a walking immunization shot against any possibility of upgrading a key mid-rotation spot in the offseason. Because we had Buchholz there was no way the FO was going to commit to Chen, even though our rotation problems would be minor ones if the team had decided to go for that solution.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    you guys know that in the offseason I wanted Wei-Yin Chen. I would have happily dropped Buchholz on someone and used the money to bring in Chen as well as Price, even if it meant paying more on the payroll tax. Chen is the #2-3 starter (more of a 3 really but he does fit the description) that we needed in the offseason and the FO clearly wasn't even thinking of going in that direction. Why? because in theory if everyone was healthy and effective we didn't have a spot for him.

This is what sucks about Buchholz though -- you can't commit to a professional to take over his innings because he's physically present on the roster, but you K-N-O-W that you're going to need to pick up some of those innings and there's a possibility he's going to be completely ineffective. He's like a walking immunization shot against any possibility of upgrading a key mid-rotation spot in the offseason. Because we had Buchholz there was no way the FO was going to commit to Chen, even though our rotation problems would be minor ones if the team had decided to go for that solution.
    I'm not sure about Chen but you make a strong point about Buttholtz.

I see his presence on the 25 as sort of the "Anti-Roster Crunch". He fucks the entire squad up.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Chen's a solid #3. That's what they look like. A guy you put behind your ace and your big inning burning #2 to eat additional large numbers of innings innings at an approximately average performance level and not make a lot of self-inflicted mistakes The problem is he'd come off a hot year and marketed himself as a poor man's #2 when he's really an exactly average mid rotation starter.

Chen would have slotted in perfectly behind Porcello and ahead of Wright and Kelly and have given us a very nice rotation indeed. Not a world beater but solid. Unfortunately we were too committed to Buchholz and Kelly to countenance the move, which is a pity as it turns out.
    Last edited by Dojji; 05-19-2016 at 02:00 PM.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Chen had a QO attached to him though.

if you're willing now to trade prospect talent for starting pitching, why the hell does a QO matter in the offseason in order to better avoid the need to do so? I'd rather lose a draft pick to address a serious potential hole in the rotation than lose actual tangible prospects to fill the same hole later. Worrying about QO's is the textbook definition of the adage about being "penny wise, but pound foolish."

It's not like any of us who were paying attention weren't deeply concerned about the quality and depth of the rotation and that we might be forced into a trade with even slightly below average luck. If all of us can see that coming, then signing a guy with a QO is an exercise in paying 1 to avoid losing 2-3 later -- a reasonable investment in the future.
    Last edited by Dojji; 05-19-2016 at 02:40 PM.

if you're willing now to trade prospect talent for starting pitching, why the hell does a QO matter in the offseason in order to better avoid the need to do so? I'd rather lose a draft pick to address a serious potential hole in the rotation than lose actual tangible prospects.

It's not like any of us who were paying attention weren't deeply concerned about the quality and depth of the rotation and that we might be forced into a trade with even slightly below average luck. If all of us can see that coming, then signing a guy with a QO is an exercise in paying 1 to avoid losing 2-3 later -- a reasonable investment in the future.
    we already have four #3 starters. why give up a QO for one in the offseason? a TOTR SP? thats a different story.......
    other names i have posted under: none