Register now to remove this ad

Page 4 of 103 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Christian Vazquez

Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    If the league average is so low you're effectively an automatic out then I don't think being league average makes you not an automatic out. Vas has had a couple clutch hits though.

I was always pro Swihart long term, because I envisioned his defense becoming average to above average with an elite bat for the position. Now that player still might be in him but I think I've come over to the pro Vasquez camp now. This offense is just too good, we can afford (easily) to have Vasquez in there with what he brings behind the plate defensively; his defense has tremendous value back there.

Also, I do think there is room for improvement in his bat as well.
    His OBP has diminished since my post, but I don't think you can consider a .300+ OBP guy an auto-out either way.
    We miss you Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by User Name? View Post
    His OBP has diminished since my post, but I don't think you can consider a .300+ OBP guy an auto-out either way.
    No, an "auto-matic out" is a very poor way of describing poor offense.

84 is a very small number of at bats to judge a hitter who'd been inactive for over a year before those at bats. I am not surprised at all that CV is having a little trouble finding ball with bat. He's not that great to begin with and add the long layoff to that, a certain adjustment period is very normal. I don't think he'll be hitting that poorly at the end of the season.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Im figuring (hoping) for at least around 260ish 310-20 OBP with a bunch of doubles.

@redsoxstats Vazquez's hitting velocity ranks 256th in MLB in May. Keeping Ichiro, Hamilton, and Iglesias company at the bottom of the barrel.

I still like him though.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    @redsoxstats Vazquez's hitting velocity ranks 256th in MLB in May. Keeping Ichiro, Hamilton, and Iglesias company at the bottom of the barrel.

I still like him though.
    This isn't directed at you MVP, but this post is a great example of why we now have too many statistics. We can now take any player anyplace and find something "wrong" with him.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

That doesn't make any sense.
    We miss you Mike.

Did to me. I got what dewey was saying. A combination of "paralysis by analysis" and "let him who is without sin cast the first stone."

I don't really care about Vazquez offensively unless he dips below the Mendoza line. Right now he's replacement level on offense and providing good value defensively, that's exactly what we expected him to do.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Super, Duper Moderator Youk Of The Nation's Avatar
    That doesn't make any sense.
    Every player, no matter how great they are overall, is going to be at or near the bottom in some statistical category, especially when new categories get added all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by YANKEESRULE View Post
    Yea got hand it to the Sox, they just could not go queitly into the night. Well, they are just post-poning the inevitable.
    - From the 2004 ALCS Game 4 Gamethread. A reminder that no game is over until the final out is recorded, and things will always get better. Misspellings unchanged as a reminder that Yankees fans are just terrible.

I get what he means, I just don't get the idea that further understanding baseball is a bad thing. If you want to misinterpret stats, fine, but that's on you.
    We miss you Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    Did to me. I got what dewey was saying. A combination of "paralysis by analysis" and "let him who is without sin cast the first stone."

I don't really care about Vazquez offensively unless he dips below the Mendoza line. Right now he's replacement level on offense and providing good value defensively, that's exactly what we expected him to do.
    What?
    We miss you Mike.

How many of these stats actually enhance our understanding of the game and how many of them pelt us with mostly meaningless trivia?

Is meaningless trivia a bad thing now? I don't see it. I both like the deeper understanding of the game and the fun factoids. But you apparently hate fun Dojji.
    We miss you Mike.

I get what he means, I just don't get the idea that further understanding baseball is a bad thing. If you want to misinterpret stats, fine, but that's on you.
    What value is it to us to know that his exit velocity is among the lowest in baseball? I care a lot more about his BA & OPS than the speed at which the ball comes off the bat. In the words of Bill Parcells, "Don't tell me about the pain, just show me the baby".

Unfortunately those who dwell on negativity may/will take a couple of those obscure factoids and use them to imply that someone isn't as productive as both the more normal stats and the eye test say he is. I don't need useless crap in my life. I've got enough useful crap.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    What value is it to us to know that his exit velocity is among the lowest in baseball? I care a lot more about his BA & OPS than the speed at which the ball comes off the bat. In the words of Bill Parcells, "Don't tell me about the pain, just show me the baby".

Unfortunately those who dwell on negativity may/will take a couple of those obscure factoids and use them to imply that someone isn't as productive as both the more normal stats and the eye test say he is. I don't need useless crap in my life. I've got enough useful crap.
    Low exit velocity is one of the main reasons why his BA and OPS are low.
    We miss you Mike.