Register now to remove this ad

Page 50 of 103 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100 ... LastLast

Thread: Christian Vazquez

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh2 View Post
    Because results fluctuate, and it's a zero sum game where you're often facing an opponent of equal (or close to it) skill. Someone has to win/lose.
    What about a game like basketball where a shooter can hit a bunch of 3-pointers in a row and then miss a bunch. I'm not talking about shots with a defender's hand in their face, I'm talking about uncontested open shots. It's a man (or woman), a ball and a hoop. Why does the performance vary?

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    My opinion is that building a team solely based upon Sabermetrics would to foolhardy as would ignoring that data developed over many years. The smart approach is to use human factors and acquired data holistically and a major league BB team should select it's staff so they can handle both, realizing that no choice will achieve perfection.
    No one has ever said otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    What about a game like basketball where a shooter can hit a bunch of 3-pointers in a row and then miss a bunch. I'm not talking about shots with a defender's hand in their face, I'm talking about uncontested open shots. It's a man, a ball and a hoop. Why does the performance vary?
    Randomness.

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    That's an interesting perspective. Given that you and I are on opposite sides in this discussion - not that there's anything wrong with that! - I have exactly the opposite thought. I find that nearly everyone here who likes the stats says essentially the same thing at one time or another. "I like and believe in the eye test...... as long as the eye test doesn't conflict with the statistics".
    Absolutely. If the stats tell me something different than what I have believed from the eye test, I'm going with the stats. The eye test involves all human element, which we know is subject to things like bias.

I used to think that Pedroia was a great base runner. That's what I saw when I watched the games. The announcers used to confirm what I believed. Or maybe the announcers saying that Pedroia was a great base runner influenced my opinion into 'seeing' that?

Either way, when the stats told me that Pedroia was not a great base runner, I had to rethink my opinion on that and admit that I was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Randomness.
    That's a description of the results, but it's not an explanation.

You can't make it happen, but it does happen. It's not about becoming faster or stronger, it's about feeling incredibly confident and having your muscles react exactly like you want them to for that limited period of time.
    And having your muscle memory functioning in a way to perfect your mechanics for a period of time.

Edit: Just paraphrasing the end of your post.
    Last edited by a700hitter; 12-31-2016 at 12:21 PM.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

It's a 2 part question:

Why did they perform optimally for that limited period of time?
    Why can't they perform like that all the time?
    Because the game is really difficult to play at any level and exponentially more difficult at the MLB level. The slightest changes make the difference between success and failure.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Absolutely. If the stats tell me something different than what I have believed from the eye test, I'm going with the stats.
    This reminds me of something a friend of mine told me about how he and his wife settle disputes. "Anything we agree on we do my way and anything we disagree on we do her way."

IOW in spite of any lip service, the outcome is always predetermined.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

You can disagree with it all you want, but it's not nonsense.
    I understand the value of sabremetrics in evaluating performances and in predicting trends. I understand much more of it than you would think. It really is not rocket science. But when the Sabre-fanatics go off the rails, they enter the realm of nonsense. Saying that there is no such thing as a hot hand or cold hand and that it is just a function of randomness is nonsense. It reminds me of the physicists that argued that the curve ball is an optical illusion. And I have much more respect for the laws of physics than for the study of statisitics.

That's a description of the results, but it's not an explanation.
    Excellent point. Anything that cannot be explained seems random. Few things are completely random.

All-Star
    Randomness is the result of chance

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh2 View Post
    Randomness is the result of chance
    Yes, and it applies perfectly to flipping coins and games of chance where odds can be computed mathematically. But it's not entirely satisfactory for explaining human performance variances.

All-Star
    What about a game like basketball where a shooter can hit a bunch of 3-pointers in a row and then miss a bunch. I'm not talking about shots with a defender's hand in their face, I'm talking about uncontested open shots. It's a man (or woman), a ball and a hoop. Why does the performance vary?
    https://priceonomics.com/can-an-athlete-be-streaky/

Maybe you don't have the same time I do to read. I'm in a house where no one speaks English right now so perhaps your New Years Eve is more involved but it's a great read when you get the chance.

I feel some (in sports and life) are threatened by accepting they are largely victims of chance, but I find it empowering.

All-Star
    I know I may come off as a dick sometimes but I mean well....sometimes. I hope everyone has a safe and happy new year!

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    This reminds me of something a friend of mine told me about how he and his wife settle disputes. "Anything we agree on we do my way and anything we disagree on we do her way."

IOW in spite of any lip service, the outcome is always predetermined.
    If you are directing that comment at me, you're missing the boat.

I had an opinion based on what I thought I saw. The stats didn't agree with me. I was wrong and I changed my opinion.

You have an opinion based on what you think you see. The stats don't agree with you so therefore the stats must be wrong.