Register now to remove this ad

Page 56 of 56 FirstFirst ... 646545556

Thread: How Bad Are the Umps?

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    Unless of course we make the World Series and then it has a yuuuge impact on this Red Sox season...
    And since the Red sox may play the Cubs in the WS, all Cubs talk should be here. Oh, just put all NL talk on this forum because the Sox might play them in the WS.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Are there any teams that feel robbed of a title because of who won the AS game?

Letting the All Star Game determine home field advantage in the World Series is the stupidest decision ever. Even stupider than robot umps.

Robot umps now.
    other names i have posted under: none

Bad ump! Go lie down!

Last night's HP ump was not good at all. He punched out Papi on a pitch that was in the other batter's box. I thought Papi was going to destroy a bullpen phone or something but he took it pretty well.

We wouldn't need robot umps if the HP umps were all good on balls and strikes. But some of them are clearly lousy.

Floating strike zone last night. Robot umps required immediately.

I wonder if there's a way to signal the strikes via 'beeping' directly into ump's ear? Umps would still be needed. They would simply slow down on their strike calls. On close calls, they can wait for the signal.

The ump was awful last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Last night's HP ump was not good at all. He punched out Papi on a pitch that was in the other batter's box. I thought Papi was going to destroy a bullpen phone or something but he took it pretty well.

We wouldn't need robot umps if the HP umps were all good on balls and strikes. But some of them are clearly lousy.
    Some of them are definitely worse than others.

I read a suggestion about only using the best umps at calling balls/strikes behind the plate, rather than rotating them every game. Umps that have inconsistent strike zones can man one of the other positions. That would appease the union because no one would lose their job. I thought that was a good suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post

I read a suggestion about only using the best umps at calling balls/strikes behind the plate, rather than rotating them every game. Umps that have inconsistent strike zones can man one of the other positions. That would appease the union because no one would lose their job. I thought that was a good suggestion.
    It sounds like a decent interim step.

But it does nothing to cure the problem and probably just forestall the inevitable.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

4 game series in Texas heat the homeplate umpire would be toast with all the gear on erryday...

No one loses their job with robot umpires either.

@evandrellich John Farrell said of contact Joe West made with him: "They can bump us but we can't bump them"

All-Star
    Time for ball and strikes cameras. Tradition? What's that. I sw my first game in 1932 at Braves Field. There were 2 umpires, I think, boards for bleacher seats, and enough empty seats to let us all in after the 3rd inning (or maybe the 4th). The game has changed, mostly for the better. Some of these umpires are blinder rhan I am. (and I am totally blind in my left eye!.

Robot umps now!