Register now to remove this ad

Thread: Just rebuild please

Just rebuild please

It is time to consider opening up shop. I have advocated that before, and I get that it is early. But the big thing about this team is that there is no easy fix on the horizon. There are no "big 3" coming onto the market. There aren't any franchise players available and with Strasburg locked up, there's no pitching to be found. Hence, I feel that any FA or acquisition made either during this season or in the offseason needs to be looking towards 2018. I am looking at MLBTR and they have their FA top 10 updated right now.

1 is Cespedes. Yes, he would offer big power, but he is also set to be 31 yrs old, offers no plate discipline and is a COF who would likely be getting a 6-7 yr deal. This isn't the type of talent you land for that money
    2 is Bautista. Absolutely would have been in on him 4 years ago. As a soon to be 36 yr old, he isn't the kind of player we want.
    3 is Reddick. He might be a guy we look at. Just turned 29, offers left handed power and plate discipline. Perennial 2.6-4.5 WAR guy.
    4 is Jansen. Don't need him
    5. Encarnacion. We don't need another DH
    6 is Fowler. Pretty good player having a career yr. Turns 31 prior to the season. An option, but we already have 2 guys with his skill set under contract
    7. Chapman. See below
    8. Neil Walker. A lot better than I thought he was. Possible fit if he converts to 3b
    9. Rich Hill- NO
    10. Mark Trumbo- we don't need another DH

So looking at the above, the only guys we could be interested in are Reddick, Fowler, and Walker with Walker and Reddick being the top 2 far and away. To be totally honest, I would be fine without either as I don't like throwing a year of a contract away on a team that isn't set up to compete.

In terms of the deals I would look at right now....

1. I would start taking calls on Chapman. Aside from his hiccup today, the guy is an elite closer at an elite age and he is left handed. No contract for next yr, but he is also relatively cheap. Contending teams need dominant pen work. And I would open up business to ALL teams, including in division and in Boston. That being said, I keep hearing the Nats are going to be going hard for Chapman if he comes available. With the return on elite relief, I would basically tell them it is Trea Turner or nothing. If Ken Giles can return Velazquez and Appel, then Chapman can return Turner.

2. I would also take calls on Miller. I love Miller, but he is somewhat injury prone and entering an age where he will start his decline. Sell high with the 2 yrs left on his contract being a big boon. I would call Texas and tell them that Gallo is the price

3. I would offer to eat money to move CC. With how much of a competitor CC is, I think he would waive his NTC. CC is quietly having his best season since 2012 and has the lowest ERA he has had since 2008. He's finally mastered the velocity change and could be a solid #2 or #3 on a playoff rotation if he can keep this up. If we eat money, we should be able to get a top notch prospect as CC right now is probably the second best pitcher on the market next to Hill. I'd look at a team like Pittsburg, who has Cole and nothing else. I'd see if I could pry Taillon, Glasnow, or Meadows from them. Although it is entirely possible a deal around McGuire, Hayes, or Bell is what they are able to make.

4. I would offer to eat some money and move Beltran. While he has lost a bit in the walks department, he still has an OPS over .800 and can hit for a lot of power. I'd look at teams with no production out of their DH spot.

5. I would offer to eat some money and move on from Headley. He has heated up of late and has seen his average come all the way up to .245. He's still a good glove man and if he can find it again, he could be a steal. But he doesn't fit on a team on a 1.5 yr rebuild.

6. I would also deal away Gregorius. I like him. But he isn't much more than a glove man. His best possible production was probably last yr. That can fly on a team with a good offense. With a rebuilding offense, a guy who can barely hit his weight isn't worth it anymore.

This would leave us with a lineup for 2017 as follows

C- McCann
    1B- Bird
    2B- Castro
    SS- Turner
    3B- Gallo
    LF- Gardner
    CF- Ellsbury
    RF- Refsnyder/Hicks
    DH- FuckRod

It isn't a playoff lineup. There would be growing pains. But it would be a build to the future
    Hal sucks

I mentioned this in the main thread, but this team has a lot of guys in contract years. I agree that there is a chance they trade a few guys for top notch prospects, but those guys are the same ones that they also might want to extend next year. Chapman is only 28, so they might very well consider keeping him.

You missed Nova, who is in a contract year. If he has a couple good starts before the trade deadline he's certainly worth something.

Beltran's age might hurt his stock significantly, even if they pay that contract.

I imagine Miller is gone. I don't see them getting someone of Erod's quality, but he's still worth a haul.

Pal, Miller signed for 2 more years should get an elite prospect. Chapman is also an elite closer, he should return an elite prospect. Nova is a big ? for me. I want to see how good he is as he goes forward. I'd look into extending him, since, when healthy, he has produced well in NY and he'd be there when we eventually rise
    Hal sucks

I feel like Reddick would be a great fit for the Yankees. He would hit a ton of bombs at YS.

So Cash and Hal have come out saying that we have a "path" to the playoffs and are looking to be buyers at the deadline. Fucking really? We have more teams in front of us for a wild card spot than we have behind us. In run differential, we are only better than MIN, OAK, and LAA in the AL. We have a team of underachievers and old broken down fucks who cannot play anymore. Our lineup aside from Beltran and Didi to some extent is a barren wasteland of suck. Our rotation aside from a suddenly resurgent CC and steady Masahiro is a crapshoot. We have an elite pen, but cannot get anything to them. We are 25-2 when we lead after 6 innings, but we have played 70 games and have only led after 6 in 27 of them. What are we going to upgrade? Seriously, this is the fucking year to tank. I want it badly. Next year's draft is supposed to be a top tier draft in terms of talent. The higher the draft pick, the higher the pool and hopefully we can sneak into the top 10 and get a protected pick just in case Hal decides he really fucking needs Neil fucking Walker. I know they have to say this to keep fans coming, but who are they fooling. We are down 2K fans a game for a reason. We'll continue to drop on that number as we continue to blow goats.
    Hal sucks

Tex's injury has definitely opened things up for Refsnyder. He's hitting .291 with a .344OBP and an OPS near .800. The kid can absolutely hit. He just needs a position. I really hope he works at his fielding for 3b and can supplant Chase next yr
    Hal sucks