Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 MLB Draft Thread.

Given that DUMBrowski is the new guy here, it will be interesting to see if the draft strategy is tweaked at all. There haven't been any substantial scouting changes, have there?
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Given that DUMBrowski is the new guy here, it will be interesting to see if the draft strategy is tweaked at all. There haven't been any substantial scouting changes, have there?
    I think the further down the draft you move the more it's about the scouting department and scouts. DD probably heavily influences the first pick or two and after that it's all the system.

A lot of that comes from some of the insight from Baseball Americas J.J. Cooper.

Spud, even if they spent the first 10 rounds only drafting arms, how many of them would actually pan out? The Sox have a poor history of developing pitchers. It seems like they are more adept at developing positional players. I'd say keep drafting the best players and use them as trade bait for pitching...
    I was not advocating for drafting only pitchers. I was just thinking aloud.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    I was not advocating for drafting only pitchers. I was just thinking aloud.
    I'm not saying you were. I was just saying even if they were allocate more picks towards pitching, the recent track record leads me to believe that they'd probably struggle to develop those guys.

http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/1...pirates-league

Spud, the Pirates went crazy on pitching from 2009 - 2011. Would you be happy if the Sox had the same results?

Spud, the Pirates went crazy on pitching from 2009 - 2011. Would you be happy if the Sox had the same results?
    No, I guess.

I just wonder about such things.

It probably comes down to scouting and luck. Especially with high school players.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/te...=pit&year=2009

http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/te...=pit&year=2010

http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/te...=pit&year=2011

When you look at the draft results, I'm not chomping at the bit to do what Pittsburgh did. Cole is fantastic, but Glasnow and Taillon are still unproven.

All-Star

I might have misunderstood this post, but I sure wouldn't quibble with having a few guys like Cole, Taillon, and Glasnow in our system.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flap View Post
    I might have misunderstood this post, but I sure wouldn't quibble with having a few guys like Cole, Taillon, and Glasnow in our system.
    Sure, but the 2009 draft appeared to be a complete bust. Pitchers also take a little time to develop, so the Sox wouldn't see the fruits of this draft until they're on the next GM. It was a high risk/high reward opportunity for the Pirates, but only one guy has provided much value so far.

Also, I'm not saying it was a wrong or right choice. I was just trying to add to the conversation.

Tailon has been dominating AAA this season and will make his 2016 debut with the Pirates on Wednesday.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Top talent Delvin Perez failed a drug test and may slip out of the top ten, and first round altogether.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft...wxuhqSVBrTt.97

I think I still take our 2011 draft over the Pirates 2011 AND 2010 draft.

Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    Top talent Delvin Perez failed a drug test and may slip out of the top ten, and first round altogether.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft...wxuhqSVBrTt.97
    Great thread Hugh!

I'd take a chance on him. He's been mentioned at going anywhere from 7 to 2 and is regarded as the best IF prospect in the draft. I also like Manning. He's a top 10 prospect but will fall because of his high price tag.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingface View Post
    Great thread Hugh!

I'd take a chance on him. He's been mentioned at going anywhere from 7 to 2 and is regarded as the best IF prospect in the draft. I also like Manning. He's a top 10 prospect but will fall because of his high price tag.
    I'm very intrigued to see who we draft because if you're looking at talent alone this is a VERY highschool heavy draft. But teams are generally very uncomfortable with that and that is showing itself in a lot of college players moving up on the mock drafts the last couple weeks. Mock drafts change so much this time of year not so much because the consensus on talent is moving (but it is) but I think a lot of it has to do with scouts hearing rumors about what team is looking at who.

If that holds true, then a lot of that HS talent that was projected to go top 10 maybe even top 5 will fall. But DD has a reputation of LOVING proven college guys in the first round so we might reach back for a guy who was projected in the 15-20 area. If we do, I hope we are able to at least get a guy under slot and spread that money around. I've heard good things about the depth of this draft. Still, I'd like to see them take the BPA but sometimes it isn't that simple.

Hugh, Perez is the guy I want the Yankees to select. Up to that point, I wanted a college power arm like Sheffield or Quantrill, but when a guy who could go #2 drops back on a failed drug test, I want that guy to move to the top of the draft board.
    Hal sucks