Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 MLB Draft Thread.

i do not want the Red Sox to draft anyone who tested positive. i dont care how high of a ceiling he has. let the Yankees have him....
    other names i have posted under: none

All-Star
    What did he test positive for?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flap View Post
    What did he test positive for?
    This is what I want to know. Was it just weed? a 17 year old smoking weed isn't exactly a buzz kill for me. Some drugs that treat ADHD are considered performance enhancers that kids take all the time. I'd find something along those lines much less of a concern than him sniffing cocaine or shooting deca durabolin into his butt.

I think he either doesn't fall that far, or he falls so far that no one will have enough money to sign him until he gets to the supplemental round or the 2nd round. Stuff like that happens all the time. I know it wasn't drug related but that's what happened with Daz Cameron last year; he was considered a top 10 talent but his price tag was so high no team wanted to sign him. By the time he got the supplemental round the Astros were happy to take him because they had a MUCH larger bonus pool. He ended up signing for 4 million. Even though he went 37th he got the 5th highest bonus.

I know they say take the BPA, and generally the draft follows that rule but it's much more complicated than that.

But back to Delvin Perez. Here is a kid who scouts think will have a plus bat, plus power, a plus arm and they are split on him staying at SS or moving to 3B. I think comparisons are wrong but it almost sounds like adding another 17 year old Xander Bogaerts to your system.

Here is my prediction of the 4 players most likely to be drafted by Boston today in order.

Zack Collins
    Dakota Hudson
    Ian Anderson
    Zack Burdi

I think the Sox would jump on a better college bat like Kyle Lewis, Nick Senzel, or Blake Rutherford if they fall. I doubt that will happen, but one of them like Rutherford may. They also possibly could jump on a HS pitcher like Matt Manning or Jason Groome if they fall. It is rumored that Oakland likes both those guys but prefers Groome but will draft Manning if he's gone. I could see the Sox taking one of those guys if the college bats don't fall and they are still there, of course they could be falling due to too high a price tag and that could scare the Sox off and move them to sign a guy they have an understanding with in terms of what it will cost to sign them. Then again, someone like Jason Groome who is reportedly a life long sox fan may be willing to drop his price tag 1 million down to sign with the Sox for something like 3.1 million.

I would like to note, that I viciously follow the Soxprospects and every year they do a draft preview, and EVERY year the Sox have picked one of the 4-5 guys they list as possible targets. So, if that holds then your first round draft pick is probably one of these guys talked about here.

http://news.soxprospects.com/2016/06...t-preview.html

Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    This is what I want to know. Was it just weed? a 17 year old smoking weed isn't exactly a buzz kill for me. Some drugs that treat ADHD are considered performance enhancers that kids take all the time. I'd find something along those lines much less of a concern than him sniffing cocaine or shooting deca durabolin into his butt.

I think he either doesn't fall that far, or he falls so far that no one will have enough money to sign him until he gets to the supplemental round or the 2nd round. Stuff like that happens all the time. I know it wasn't drug related but that's what happened with Daz Cameron last year; he was considered a top 10 talent but his price tag was so high no team wanted to sign him. By the time he got the supplemental round the Astros were happy to take him because they had a MUCH larger bonus pool. He ended up signing for 4 million. Even though he went 37th he got the 5th highest bonus.

I know they say take the BPA, and generally the draft follows that rule but it's much more complicated than that.

But back to Delvin Perez. Here is a kid who scouts think will have a plus bat, plus power, a plus arm and they are split on him staying at SS or moving to 3B. I think comparisons are wrong but it almost sounds like adding another 17 year old Xander Bogaerts to your system.
    I'm guessing it wasn't weed based on:
    Perez failed the test for an undisclosed performance-enhancer

but i agree with you. if it was weed i am fine with him being drafted by my team. but it sounds like some sort of steroid.
    other names i have posted under: none

May be ADD medication too. That's very ambiguous
    We miss you Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by User Name? View Post
    May be ADD medication too. That's very ambiguous
    Nope. The other guy popped for "adderall." If he did the same, it would have been noted most likely.

Other guys have tested positive for adderall before the draft and it hasn't affected their position at all. (Jon Gray)
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

I was thinking it could be ADD medication. I was also thinking about how it barely changed Jon Grays decision. I'm not 100% convinced the fact that he is dropping is because it might have been something worse but it is suspicious. Another thing to consider may be that Gray was a proven college player, while a high school talent no matter how well regarded is always going to be more raw so I wonder if any bad news just weights down more on them.

Of course, the thing is that we really don't know how far he will fall. He might only fall back a few spots, but I think the reality is if he falls out of the top 10 that no one else in the first round has the money to meet his bonus demands. If he gets past #7, he could slide all the way down to say maybe #25 were the Padres will have their 3rd 1st round pick. A team like them will have the money to sign him there. I will feel very very smart now if SD ends up signing him.

I really don't care what it was. The kid is a top 5 talent with the glove to stick at SS. He will be a big leaguer
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    I really don't care what it was. The kid is a top 5 talent with the glove to stick at SS. He will be a big leaguer
    Scouts are actually mixed on whether he can stick at short stop or not. Of course, those scouts could be right! they did say the same thing about Bogaerts coming up.

Jim Callis last mock has the Sox taking Jason Groome, who is my favorite pick. He's been mocked top 10 all year and is slipping due to bonus demands from what I've heard. Some say talent wise he's the #1 guy in the draft but almost everything else I've heard says the sox have ZERO interest in him.

The latest buzz is the Sox are in on Matt Thaiss, who is a college catcher and a former late round Sox draft pick. He's good, but he's been mocked in the late 1st round everywhere so I'm not sure how happy I'd be with the pick. Perhaps they really like him and think they can save a ton of money on the pick.

All this comes with me knowing that I know nothing....I sit at a desk all day.....with no window.

Ha! I have a window....get on my level!

On topic: Isn't Thaiss supposed to be an exceptional athlete? Sox are known to prioritize it in top draft picks.
    We miss you Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by User Name? View Post
    Ha! I have a window....get on my level!

On topic: Isn't Thaiss supposed to be an exceptional athlete? Sox are known to prioritize it in top draft picks.
    Well technically there is a window, but I have shelve with my server in front of it and it only looks outside to a 20X20 courtyard in the middle of a big industrial building so I don't think that counts.

There is nothing wrong with Thaiss, I think it's just natural to assume the Sox could get better talent because there are a lot of guys on a lot of boards ahead of him for #12 but the more I think about it the more I might be ok with it.

Thaiss looks more like a guy who goes in the 20-30 range, that is a range the Sox normally live in and have a much better than average hit rate in. Maybe they really like him, think he's just as good as the talent in the 10-15 range and if do sign him they will likely save a ton of money and be able to sign better guys in the later rounds.

MLB network just got done talking about HS pitcher Ian Anderson. He's a top 10 talent who is apparently a Red Sox fan. That's 2 of the most talented players from the NY/NJ area that are high school pitchers and Red Sox fans as Jason Groome is too.

Jason Groome falling down the board due to character issues.
    Hal sucks

The Matt Thaiss rumors wont' go away but Jim Callis has been perfect with his mock through 9. He has us picking HS outfielder Blake Rutherford, but he also just tweeted out we are tied to Groome now.

I really like Groome.