Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 4 Former red sox International Prospects Sign Elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by TheBabeStrikesBack View Post
    Never called him a cheater.

And none of the players on the 03 list were sanctioned.
    So then you're saying he never did anything wrong?
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    So then you're saying he never did anything wrong?
    I don't think PEDs were against the rules in 03

I don't think PEDs were against the rules in 03
    So he never did anything wrong and isn't a cheater?
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    So he never did anything wrong and isn't a cheater?
    That's not what I said.

Can someone explain to me why the players get to keep the money? Fucking seriously. Have the MLBPA donate it to charity or something, these players are fucking with the system, and now they get to keep their signing bonuses, and get additional money on top of it? How does that make any fucking sense?

Super, Duper Moderator Youk Of The Nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Palodios View Post
    Can someone explain to me why the players get to keep the money? Fucking seriously. Have the MLBPA donate it to charity or something, these players are fucking with the system, and now they get to keep their signing bonuses, and get additional money on top of it? How does that make any fucking sense?
    You go to a kid who grew up in Cuba or the slums of the Dominican Republic and try to take money back from him. I'm sure as hell not volunteering for that job.
    Quote Originally Posted by YANKEESRULE View Post
    Yea got hand it to the Sox, they just could not go queitly into the night. Well, they are just post-poning the inevitable.
    - From the 2004 ALCS Game 4 Gamethread. A reminder that no game is over until the final out is recorded, and things will always get better. Misspellings unchanged as a reminder that Yankees fans are just terrible.

These kids usually don't even know of the dealings the agents/buscones are doing on their behalf, and I can't for the life of me fathom why any of you would think otherwise. Most of these kids can barely write/read at a third grade level, and they're going to take part in complicated negotiations like these?
    We miss you Mike.

wow. alot of assumptions being made in this thread about the living conditions and education of Latino players.
    i guess if the players were international signings from France the assumption would be they live in castles and be university educated.
    other names i have posted under: none

soxprospects has come out with a new podcast where they talk about the situation.

http://news.soxprospects.com/2016/07...ties-fill.html

All-Star
    I can't pretend to know anything about the background of these particular individuals, but even if they came from wealthy, affluent families, I wouldn't really expect them to understand the ins and outs of MLB's international amateur system. I imagine they were being misled/manipulated here as well, and I can't say I'm sad that some of them might get to pocket a few extra $ from the whole affair. The Red Sox certainly won't miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    wow. alot of assumptions being made in this thread about the living conditions and education of Latino players.
    i guess if the players were international signings from France the assumption would be they live in castles and be university educated.
    "A lot of assumptions "????

Two posters commented on it.

But that never stops you from playing the race card.

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    The assumptions are usually correct. Have you seen the state of these "baseball academies" firsthand? I have. They are shitholes.
    We miss you Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flap View Post
    I can't pretend to know anything about the background of these particular individuals, but even if they came from wealthy, affluent families, I wouldn't really expect them to understand the ins and outs of MLB's international amateur system. I imagine they were being misled/manipulated here as well, and I can't say I'm sad that some of them might get to pocket a few extra $ from the whole affair. The Red Sox certainly won't miss it.
    They don't come from affluent families. There are exceptions (usually they move to the US though). But the idea that most of these kids come from slums and horrible living conditions is spot on. In general, that's why they play baseball instead of going to school: So they can find a way out of poverty.
    We miss you Mike.

That's not what I said.
    So what exactly did you say? Stop being a weasel about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    So what exactly did you say? Stop being a weasel about it.
    Cagey?