Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jake Simpson: Why Tom Brady Is Already The Best QB Ever.

Jake Simpson: Why Tom Brady Is Already The Best QB Ever.

I personally don't agree, but i'm posting this for discussion:

The football topics of choice at water coolers everywhere heading into the NFL's conference championship weekend, other than Ray Lewis's long goodbye, is how Tom Brady's legacy would be affected by a fourth Super Bowl victory. Only Joe Montana and Terry Bradshaw have won four Super Bowls as NFL quarterbacks, and with a win in Super Bowl XLVII Brady would join them. Most people say a fourth ring would make the New England Patriots' signal-caller the best quarterback of his generation, as well as one of my favorite sports clich?s, "one of the greatest of all time."

But Brady's legacy is secure no matter what happens in the AFC Championship Game against the Ravens on Sunday, or in the Super Bowl two weeks later. Even if Brady never wins another game, he is the greatest quarterback in NFL history. Better than Montana. Better than Bradshaw. Better than Johnny Unitas. Better than everybody.

Brady's regular-season and postseason numbers are each singularly spectacular. In 2007, Brady put up the best statistical regular season by a QB in league history: 50 touchdowns (most all-time), eight interceptions, 4,806 yards (12th all-time), a 68.9 completion percentage (ninth all-time), a 117.2 passer rating (third all-time) and a 16-0 record. Though the Giants shocked the Pats in Super Bowl XLII, Brady's season remains the gold standard for quarterbacks.

The veteran QB's playoff record is even more gaudy, especially where it matters most: wins. At this moment, on the cusp of another conference championship and potentially another Super Bowl title, Brady already holds a slew of postseason records. He's tied with John Elway for the most Super Bowls started in NFL history (five), and when he takes the field Sunday he will equal Montana's record for the most conference championship games played (seven). In AFC Championship games and Super Bowls, Brady is a combined 8-3, and the Pats were leading with 90 seconds left in all three losses. If David Tyree hadn't made the Helmet Catch in Super Bowl XLII and Wes Welker had caught a third-down pass from Brady in Super Bowl XLVI, Brady would have five rings and I wouldn't even have to make an argument about his "greatest of all time" candidacy.

Brady has been blessed with a legendary coach in Bill Belichick. But Belichick is primarily a defensive mastermind, and for most of his career Brady has operated with the same freedom at the line of scrimmage as Peyton Manning. As for personnel, Brady got one great year from Randy Moss and five very good years and counting from Welker. But he's never played with an elite running back, and only in the last two years has he had athletic tight ends to work with. Bradshaw had Franco Harris, Lynn Swann, and John Stallworth for his Super Bowl wins; Montana had Jerry Rice and Roger Craig; Brady had Kevin Faulk, Corey Dillon, and Troy Brown.

What makes Brady the best qualitatively? He has the tactician's mind of Manning, the arm strength of Elway, and the winning mentality of Montana. Even this year, at 35 with more than a decade of NFL hits and a surgically repaired ACL, Brady is extremely tough to stop. Jam his receivers at the line? He'll call a double move down the field and launch a 60-yard bomb that falls perfectly over his receiver's shoulder. Keep your safeties back and protect against the deep pass? He'll check down to backs and tight ends and grind out a drive seven yards at a time.

Brady's one weakness is his relative lack of mobility outside of the pocket compared to young stars like Russell Wilson and Robert Griffin III. That leaves him vulnerable to big hits by opposing linemen and linebackers, which over the course of a game forces him to get rid of the ball more quickly. The Giants worked this strategy to perfection in their two Super Bowl wins over the Pats, but Big Blue had elite pass-rushers in their prime (Justin Tuck and Osi Umenyiora in 2007, and those two along with Jason Pierre-Paul four years later). The San Francisco 49ers' top-flight defense may have what it takes to beat down on Brady if the two teams meet in the Super Bowl, but a defensive front seven has to play a flawless game to stop Brady when it counts.

Overall, Brady has won more postseason games than any other quarterback in NFL history, and his 17-6 record is remarkable given the quality of competition in the later rounds of the playoffs.

Critics point to Brady's grisly playoff losses over his career, notably a 33-14 loss to the Ravens in 2009 and a 27-20 loss to the Jets in 2010. But no great quarterback has an unblemished postseason record. Montana lost to the Giants 49-3 in the 1986 postseason; Bradshaw lost to Raiders 24-7 in the 1976 playoffs and posted a horrendous stat line for the game (14-35, 176 yards, no touchdowns, one interception). Overall, Brady has won more postseason games than any other quarterback in NFL history, and his 17-6 record is remarkable given the quality of competition in the later rounds of the playoffs.

Brady was at his most sublime last Sunday, when the Pats stormed out to a 38-13 lead over the Houston Texans and cruised to a 41-28 victory. He posted a spotless stat line (25-40, 344 yards, three TDs, no picks) and kept Houston playing from behind for virtually the entire game. But it was a single fourth-quarter throw that demonstrated why Brady is the best ever. Trailing 31-13, the Texans gambled on a fourth-and-one in their own territory and didn't convert. Brady took over at the Houston 33-yard line, knowing a touchdown would seal the game. On the first play of the drive, he lofted a literally perfect pass to running back Shane Vereen, and that was that.

There are a thousand ways to try and sum up the je ne sais quoi that is sports greatness, but my favorite is the saying that the greatest players have "a sense of the moment." That throw, at that time, with his team smelling blood and the Texans ready to deflate, is the latest example of Brady's unparalleled sense of the moment. Some say Montana and Unitas had the same sense, but neither of them would have had the combination of arm strength and touch to place that sideline throw in Vereen's breadbasket, where only he could catch it. Brady did. He has it all. And he's the best ever.
    We miss you Mike.

Re: Jake Simpson: Why Tom Brady Is Already The Best QB Ever.

I wonder if the author ever saw Unitas in the 1950's.

Brady has one problem to overcome before he can make a credible claim to the title of greatest ever. He can't beat Eli. It's kind of like Wilt the Stilt with Russell.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

As soon as they brought up SB victories, this article became a joke.

Peyton Manning is easily better than Tom Brady, but I'm sure the Pats homers on this site will love this article and defend their guy, but realistically he's still not even the best of his time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Youk Of The Nation View Post
    We're sorry, your search for "Fucks Given By Koji Uehara" did not return any results

Quote Originally Posted by Emmz View Post
    As soon as they brought up SB victories, this article became a joke.

Peyton Manning is easily better than Tom Brady, but I'm sure the Pats homers on this site will love this article and defend their guy, but realistically he's still not even the best of his time.
    It's hard to make the argument that a player is the best of all time when he didn't even dominate his own era. Was there anyone in the discussion with Unitas in the late 1950's and early 1960s or Otto Graham in the early 50s? No. End of story about greatest ever. He's behind those 2 guys right off the bat.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Peyton only made it to one SB. Not better than Brady.

In my lifetime, I'd take Brady, Elway and Montana over Peyton. I think Peyton and Marino are right behind those guys though.

If not for a shitty defense, Brady would have at least one more ring.

Peyton Manning is arguably the best regular season QB. He falls from the discussion when post season and Super Bowls get accounted for. Aaron Rodgers said it best, you make your money in the regular season and your legacy in the post season. Peyton Manning is this generations Dan Marino, he just happened to win a SB.

Given the choice I would take Tom Brady as my QB in a must win game 10/10 times. If you took Manning you have some sort of bias or agenda.

Talksox hall of famer RedSoxfanforlife305's Avatar

Emmz how is Peyton Manning easily better than Tom Brady?
    Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT : Mind your own fucking business if a conversation doesn't concern you and maybe we can start acting like adults.

I am the furthest fucking thing from a homer. I do not like Tom Brady because:

1.) He's a Republican

2.) He married a female praying mantis twat.

I saw Johnny Unitis and he was the best that I ever saw. I saw Marino and he was the QB I would select to run my offense in the "modern era". I consider Tom Brady and Payton Manning 1A, and 1B without any differentiation except Brady has accomplished more championships. The drop off is steep after that in current play. Of course I fully expect Emmz to go for my throat here but what else can I expect? )) Eli??? Hahahahahahahaha...... Rube.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post

1.) He's a Republican

2.) He's a Yankees fan.

3.) He married a female praying mantis twat.

4.) He played for U Of M

I saw Johnny Unitis and he was the best that I ever saw. I saw Marino and he was the QB I would select to run my offense in the "modern era". I consider Tom Brady and Payton Manning 1A, and 1B without any differentiation except Brady has accomplished more championships. The drop off is steep after that in current play. Of course I fully expect Emmz to go for my throat here but what else can I expect? )) Eli??? Hahahahahahahaha...... Rube.
    Fixed that for ya.
    We miss you Mike.

It's hard to make the argument that a player is the best of all time when he didn't even dominate his own era. Was there anyone in the discussion with Unitas in the late 1950's and early 1960s or Otto Graham in the early 50s? No. End of story about greatest ever. He's behind those 2 guys right off the bat.
    I'll give you Unitas, but Graham isn't even on the same level as Brady.

Quote Originally Posted by Divinity View Post
    I'll give you Unitas, but Graham isn't even on the same level as Brady.
    Different game back then, and Graham was the best of that age. It wasn't debatable.

Quote Originally Posted by User Name? View Post
    Fixed that for ya.
    Thank you. I was tired when I made that post.

My ex-Father in law spoke very highly about some guy named Sammy Baugh. I think. Way before my time.

Question Re: Jake Simpson: Why Tom Brady Is Already The Best QB Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post

1.) He's a Republican

2.) He married a female praying mantis twat.

I fully expected you, and everyone else for that matter, to head straight for the SB argument, which is rubbish because it's a team accomplishment.

Brady never was a stat whore until he had an elite receiving corps. Manning has been the best statistical QB of all time, has been MVP caliber for two teams, multiple coaches and receiving corps.

Brady's a great QB, top ten all-time probably, but Manning is the best QB of all time. Statistically trumps everyone, nearly as durable as Favre, and his intangibles are absolutely unmatched.
    Quote Originally Posted by Youk Of The Nation View Post
    We're sorry, your search for "Fucks Given By Koji Uehara" did not return any results

Brady got to the AFC championship with Reche Caldwell as his number 1 receiver. Brady's intangibles are the reason he's been far more successful than Manning his whole career.

The Broncos lost in the divisional round because he threw a horrible pick in OT. That's something Brady just never does.

Manning was never a stat whore until he had an elite receiving corps either.