Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yankees Trade Deadline Thread

Yankees Trade Deadline Thread

For the first time that I can remember, the Yankees are primed to be sellers at the deadline. Yes, they are 1 game over .500 and yes, they are "only" 5 games out from a playoff spot. But anyone who actually watches this team knows that this team is NOT a team that will win the world series. And if you are going to sell out to play 163 games instead of 162, then something is wrong. We lack offense. We also lack consistency beyond Tanaka in the rotation. We have some impact offensive talent in the minors or on the DL (Judge, Bird, Sanchez), but we could really make hay by parting with some relief pitching or an expiring contract (Beltran) and not really affecting our core. Also, we could strip things down to bare bones if we wanted to, but that isn't the Yankee way.

To start, let's look at Chapman. We got him for Jagielo (who sucks right now in CIN) and Rookie Davis (who has become a sinkerballer and cant strike out anyone). Quite a steal. His suspension is over, and he is actually having the best command of his career. Left handed, young, powerful, closer. His only downside is his contract. That being said, he ends up as a closer on any club that acquires him. I've seen him floated to the Rangers, Nats, Cubs, or Indians. They will wait until the deadline to get blown away, but expect him dealt. He may not be enough of a package to get a Schwarber or a Turner, but I could see a Clint Frazier or a Javier Baez type return.
    Hal sucks

2 games over .500 now

They should probably sell but it won't happen if they keep winning. I'm torn.

I say stand pat and let the market come to the Yankees. No need to make rash moves. Although getting a good position player ( MLB ) for Chapman makes sense.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

This big thing is, we won 4 in a row, yet gained nothing in any race. We're still 5 games out of a playoff spot! And we did that on the back of four dominant pitching performances. 3 runs in 4 starts is pretty solid. Our bats haven't really exploded in that time.
    Last edited by jacksonianmarch; 07-21-2016 at 04:59 AM.

My guess is they trade Chapman or Miller and that's it unless they go on a skid.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    This big thing is, we won 4 in a row, yet gained nothing in any race. We're still 5 games out of a playoff spot! And we did that on the back of four dominant pitching performances. 3 runs in 4 starts is pretty solid. Our bats haven't really exploded in that time.
    You only gained 1/2 a game, but you did leap frog 2 teams in the process. There's a long way to go. I wouldn't give up on your team if I were you. I hate to say it, but I don't think they should mail it in this season.

FTR, the Os are really ticking me off, letting you guys hang around.

Gleyber Torres scratched from lineup with the Cubs High A team. He's #28 on the BA top 100. 19 yr old infielder with power and speed who is doing well in High A

All-Star
    Gleyber Torres scratched from lineup with the Cubs High A team. He's #28 on the BA top 100. 19 yr old infielder with power and speed who is doing well in High A
    Sounds like Torres will not be the only Cubs piece coming, either.

Very nice deal for you guys if it goes through.

dammit. i want the yankees to be buyers. buy buy buy.
    other names i have posted under: none

All-Star
    Joel Sherman ‏@Joelsherman1 11m11 minutes ago Manhattan, NY
    #Yankees plan is deal Chapman, play next 4-5 days, see if make inroads in race. If so, will go for it. If not, Miller, Beltran, etc in play

We get Warren back, who is lost in Cubs system. He was a really good setup guy before we traded him. I love Torres. Intrigued to see who the other two are.

Yankees really took full advantage of the domestic violence discount on Chapman.

Billy McKinney also in the deal. This is a huge haul

Billy McKinney also in the deal. This is a huge haul
    agreed. crazy for a 1/2 year rental?
    other names i have posted under: none

Theo has never been good at negotiations.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."