Register now to remove this ad

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Tracking the July to August west Coast Trip

Ricky Henderson had 3000 hits, an OBP over .400. He was a damn good hitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    You only have to look back a mere 5 years:

2011 Ellsbury
    321/376/552
    32 HR 105 RBI
    That is a statistical outlier for Ellsbury.

Quote Originally Posted by bosoxmal View Post
    "Trout was hitting 1st a few years ago". Yeh, and now he isn't. Henderson was known much more his pwoess on the base paths than he was as a hitter. Ellsbury had that great year and hit leas off. Agreed. I don't agree that he SHOULD have been leading off. He was a long way from having the power numbers that Betts has, and will have when he has his best years.

There are exceptions going all the back, but that's what they are, exceptions. Does that make it Gospel? Can't the manager think of what might be best? Betts had been labeled for lead off back three years ago. Not many projected what he's turned out to be. Noi a big surprise considering he's, what, 5-9 and 175 lbs? But, he is what he is, and not what he was projected to be.
    I agree. They have to look at Betts as the hitter he has become, not the one they expected him to be. Makes sense logically and statistically. Mookie is a slugger in a small package.

Quote Originally Posted by StephenCurry30 View Post
    Ricky Henderson had 3000 hits, an OBP over .400. He was a damn good hitter.
    Henderson walked a lot, that was how he maintained such a high OBP. His lifetime BA is .279, which is fine. He accumulated 3000 hits over 25 seasons and 13,346 PAs. Playing that long is a big part of why he had 3000 hits.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    I am not concerned about our offense. Unfortunately, offense throughout a season never stays at consistently high level. There will be slumps. The dog days of August are famous for slumps. Guys start to wear down. The long season and the heat start to take a toll. However, our offense is the biggest run producing offense by a wide margin up to this point of the season, and I expect that they will remain in the top spot although the gap with the second place team might close.

Our pitching has been worse than league average. That is what continues to concern me. Making the playoff with a 4.26 ERA today is very difficult. Our hitting can't do better than being the best. There is plenty of room for improvement by our pitching. If we don't make the post season, it will be because our pitching has been atrocious over the course of a full season. They have managed to lose several games where the offense put up 8, 9 or 10 runs.
    Take back what I said about our pitching not being as big a concern as it seems. Though you won't want to hear, Price has become a problem.

In his last 8 starts, we've won one game. In his last 13 starts, we've won 3 games. Granted, in a few of those games Price pitched well and didn't get much offensive support, but regardless, that's a problem. It's like when he takes the mound, it's almost a guaranteed loss.

I'm so over Price. I'd rather have Buchholz as our 'ace'.

That is pretty ridiculous.
    We miss you Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Take back what I said about our pitching not being as big a concern as it seems. Though you won't want to hear, Price has become a problem.

In his last 8 starts, we've won one game. In his last 13 starts, we've won 3 games. Granted, in a few of those games Price pitched well and didn't get much offensive support, but regardless, that's a problem. It's like when he takes the mound, it's almost a guaranteed loss.

Kimmi!

Price will be fine... sometime this year, or maybe next year.

Not a problem at all!
    Teams get to the playoffs all the time with an ace that pitches like a #4.
    “The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead.
    It's only difficult for other people.

It works the same way for stupid."

Quote Originally Posted by SoxnCycles View Post
    Kimmi!

Price will be fine... sometime this year, or maybe next year.

Not a problem at all!
    Teams get to the playoffs all the time with an ace that pitches like a #4.
    Price will eventually be fine. I have little doubt about that.

However, we are in the midst of a pennant race and need every win we can get. We can't afford to have our supposed ace whack out on us like that, and we can't afford to wait until next year for him to figure it out.

I'm sure I am being harder on Price than I would be on any of the other starters. I'm sure it's about perceptions and expectations. Price was brought to this team for one reason - to be our ace. He has failed miserably at that job.

We can't afford to dick around and not start Beni everyday.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    We can't afford to dick around and not start Beni everyday.
    Needless to say, you can't base anything off of 3 games, but he has looked very good. I'd get him in as much as possible, at least until Young returns.

Does the principal of your school know that you are drunk all summer long?
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Price is a problem, but it's time to send Buchholz packing.