Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB looking into San Diego deals

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    No, they can't. They cannot re-do the trade unless San Diego agrees to remodel the deal. What MLB can do is fine them and take away draft picks
    MLB can do whatever they want. They took prospects away from the Sox. They could change the Pom deal too.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

I don't want to change the Pomeranz deal. I still think that the deal will do more good than harm to us. Unless TJ surgery or some other very longterm injury/surgery is in the immediate future and the Padres knew it, I'd still rather have Pomeranz than Espinosa when we're trying to win now. One thing is certain, I'm not judging Pomeranz over that piddling handful of starts he's made for us.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Deity
    In Pomeranz i think the Sox got what they were looking for. A young middle of the rotation starter with the potential to get better. Some here are acting as though we were getting an ace via this deal. We weren't and didn't. I think that he has performed pretty much as advertised. A solid deal for the Red Sox. Obviously though he isn't what some want him to be.

MLB took prospects aways from the sox because they violated the rules on signing bonuses for international players. They never should have been able to sign them, hence they were granted free agency. This is different. MLB won't reverse the trade, they won't send Espi back unless the Pads agree. The punishment here is fines and draft picks. And it wouldn't be a draft pick back to the sox, it'd be a lost draft pick period

Jacko's right. Besides, the trade is in no way imbalanced. Both teams took large risks and got a return that could just as easily be awesome, or blow up in their faces.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    Jacko's right. Besides, the trade is in no way imbalanced. Both teams took large risks and got a return that could just as easily be awesome, or blow up in their faces.
    Your assertion has nothing to do with Jacko's.

The sox arent asking for anything to change in the deal from what im hearing/reading, so it must not be a big deal.
    Alerting MLB is showing a recent pattern with AJ Preller and his possible shady business ethics...after the Marlins deal and now this one, MLB will probably hit them hard if they find evidence that they knew there were other possible issues with both Rea and Pomeranz.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Your assertion has nothing to do with Jacko's.
    Yes, good job. That's why I used the word "Besides." It's a great word, and it means "in addition to" or "aside from," in no way connoting a connection to the original comment.

@pgammo this is fraud, contrary to the integrity of the game, like PEDs..,so the GM And Pres should face 80 G suspensions.

MLB is looking into both the Miami-SD deal and the sox deal to get Pomeranz. We all know what happened with Rea from the Pads, but apparently some medical a weren't disclosed by the Pads about Pomeranz that has the sox in a tizzy. No specifics on Pomeranz given, but interesting none the less
    Interesting choice of words there. "in a tizzy". I wonder if it was the Yankees if you would have chosen that verbiage?
    other names i have posted under: none

They should make the Padres give us Espi back and let us keep Pomeranz.
    That sounds fair to me.

Quote Originally Posted by southpaw777 View Post
    The sox arent asking for anything to change in the deal from what im hearing/reading, so it must not be a big deal.
    Alerting MLB is showing a recent pattern with AJ Preller and his possible shady business ethics...after the Marlins deal and now this one, MLB will probably hit them hard if they find evidence that they knew there were other possible issues with both Rea and Pomeranz.
    I think it would be a PR nightmare if the sox openly complained or demanded action. Many fans already hated the deal giving away espi. Also it doesn't look very good to your pitcher (Pom) if he is under the impression the organization wants to rescind the trade and we are now "stuck with him".
    My guess is DD, et al, are voicing their opinions To Manfred behind closed doors....
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    Interesting choice of words there. "in a tizzy". I wonder if it was the Yankees if you would have chosen that verbiage?
    The Sox are in such a tizzy that they aren't even asking for a 'remedy'.

MLB took prospects aways from the sox because they violated the rules on signing bonuses for international players. They never should have been able to sign them, hence they were granted free agency. This is different. MLB won't reverse the trade, they won't send Espi back unless the Pads agree. The punishment here is fines and draft picks. And it wouldn't be a draft pick back to the sox, it'd be a lost draft pick period
    MLB rescinded the Marlins trade with the Padres under the same circumstances.

Why can't they rescind the Pomeranz trade? Not that I necessarily want the trade rescinded, but I don't know why it couldn't be.

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    I think it would be a PR nightmare if the sox openly complained or demanded action. Many fans already hated the deal giving away espi. Also it doesn't look very good to your pitcher (Pom) if he is under the impression the organization wants to rescind the trade and we are now "stuck with him".
    My guess is DD, et al, are voicing their opinions To Manfred behind closed doors....
    I have my doubts that any PR disaster would stick on the Sox FO if they compalined. "We wuz tricked" is pretty compelling if they were handed damaged goods for a high value asset. If the Sox aren't complaining, it's probably because they're still comfortable with the return they got.