Register now to remove this ad

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: 8/12 vs the Dbags

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    I would be surprised if any number 1 starter wouldn't tell his manager that he was fine, and I am sure that he was fine. But the game was a blowout, and I would rather protect Price's health than the health of any of the pigs in our bullpen .
    Another reason for letting Price pitch the 8th and saving the pen arms - Buchholz was pitching the following day. He was limited to about 65 pitches, at best, and there was a very real possibility that he would have to be pulled before then. Yesterday's game looked to be a bullpen game. We needed as many arms available as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Another reason for letting Price pitch the 8th and saving the pen arms - Buchholz was pitching the following day. He was limited to about 65 pitches, at best, and there was a very real possibility that he would have to be pulled before then. Yesterday's game looked to be a bullpen game. We needed as many arms available as possible.
    That is a good point. Theyhad a very low pitch count for Buch.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Kimmi, kimmi, kimmi. The key to a700hitter is that he is quite simply a contrarian when it comes to managers, especially Red Sox managers. His starting point is that they can do nothing right.

I used to say that some Sox fans--bloggers--believe that good managers simply don't lose games. If a game is lost, it must be, it can only be because the manager failed to do something or did something he should not have.

But a700hitter goes beyond that with Farrell, who he believes--or says he believes--Farrell is wrong even when the Sox win. And he is wrong, a700hitter's words, because he is an idiot and incapable of doing anything right--with the occasional exception of when he accidentally and unintentionally does something right. The blind squirrel phenomenon.

I can appreciate a700hitter's perspective because mine is identical from the opposite side. I think managers, not just Farrell, are almost always right or at least have a rational basis for whatever decision they make. I believe, almost fervently, that players determine the outcome of games, which is what makes baseball such a great game. I think managers, coaches, and umpires are all necessary and even that some are better than others, but do not think they prevent the better team from winning.

I honestly feel sorry for anyone who thinks that managers and umpires are the real keys to game outcomes or, more importantly, that their actions and decisions are more worthy of discussion than those of the players. To me that's like looking at a great painting and discussing the frame.
    I will question a manager's decision, but I agree, there is usually a pretty good rationale behind their decisions. They also have information in making their decisions that we are not privy to. I try to give the manager the benefit of the doubt. The bottom line is that the decision a manager makes matters little in most cases. It comes down to the players being able to execute.

Max, keep the discussion about baseball. Knock it off with this shit.
    a700, a700, a700, the key to Max is he hasn't been laid in so long he has built up anger and lashes out without warning because he, like several of his BDC brethren, are suffering from penis envy and try to compensate by constantly attempting to prove themselves superior to us lowly Talksox veteran pukes.

Not to worry. You remain the King.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Them's fightin' words.
    We miss you Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by User Name? View Post
    Them's fightin' words.
    Meh.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

I shall stand on a hill and survey my domain. LOL!!
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."