Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How would you rate John Henry's impact at Red Sox over the last 14 years?

Quote Originally Posted by User Name? View Post
    Honest question: Why exactly are they "a bunch of fucking weasels" in other aspects of their dealings?

Do you mean the way they run ex players/staff members out of town, or something else?
    That, and I don't trust them to be giving accurate medical prognosis to the fans. If they want to take the Bill Belichik route and list everyone as "day to day" that's fine with me - and actually makes good sense - but they should at least make it clear that that's what they're doing (a la Belichik).
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    That, and I don't trust them to be giving accurate medical prognosis to the fans. If they want to take the Bill Belichik route and list everyone as "day to day" that's fine with me - and actually makes good sense - but they should at least make it clear that that's what they're doing (a la Belichik).
    I'm not sure how deliberately giving inaccurate medical info to the fans gets them anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I'm not sure how deliberately giving inaccurate medical info to the fans gets them anywhere.
    I didn't mean that they were deliberately passing out misinformation. It's more that I question the competence of the medical group - and the FO passes on what they hear from their doctors.
    In fact, IMO they shouldn't be disseminating any information at all. Pedey deliberately downplayed his wrist problem and said that he felt that giving out injury information puts the Sox at a disadvantage when their opponents know of player's issues.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Scouser View Post
    Yes it seems like FSG for Liverpool do the absolute minimum every time to just about keep fans on side. They're always looking to keep the wage bill as low as possible, even the fact that they chose to expand the stadium as oppose to building a new one and raise the price of tickets. Liverpool tend to recruit young, promising but unproven players to come in on lesser wages and try and develop them up to become top players and then sell them for big money, and then the cycle repeats itself. So just when we think we're making progress we will lose one of our top players who we've built the team around (e.g. Suarez) and we're back where we started.

Is this similar at Red Sox?
    The issue is with Liverpool. We are a mile behind the other teams in terms of finances and appeal.

We have thrown plenty of money around the last 4 years. Plenty. And wasted it.

We have now had a clear out of the dead wood. Which was badly needed.

What top level players do you think we could have got? Even if we had spent more?

FSG have made many mistakes but they have put the club on an incredibly solid footing.

Being a Red Sox fan from 1970 to 2003 was not difficult - the team was almost always good! There was heartbreak which stinks - and some years stunk even more. The reason it was so easy to yammer about a curse is that the Red Sox WERE good - the idea that they would get to Game 7 four different times and lose is mystifying. But I'd recommend that being an Expos fan was slightly harder during that time frame - the angst of the pre-curse Sox fan (let alone post) is why other fan bases hate us.

They were fun to watch, and GM/manager bashing became an art for most Sox fans, but it was very difficult to me. Heart break is not easy.

I agree, it's not easy going through a summer when your team is 8-15 down by July, but the sweetness of victory quickly washes away all that pain for me..