Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 91

Thread: Yankees Off Season Thread

  1. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    I'd like to see none in pinstripes to be honest. We're trying to get under the cap to reset penalties before splurging on the 2018 FA class
    Which is what I thought the Yankees were trying to do - reset their penalty. Signing Encarnacion wouldn't make much sense.

  2. #32
    35 dingers and 100 plus RBI makes sense.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    [T]he conclusion to be drawn is that there is no practical value in seeking this ideal lineup, and in that case any way in which it might be meaningfully termed "best" is irrelevant, academic at best, pedantic at worst
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Unlike hot streaks and clutch, the “Cliff” is a myth. It can’t be defined, and it’s future existence cannot be proved.

  3. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    35 dingers and 100 plus RBI makes sense.
    It does to me.

    But I can understand going cheap now for the near future as well.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.


    "It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

  4. #34
    A 65% penalty is one issue. Also, we're loaded with kids. Time to see if they can play and reload for 2018-2019

  5. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    I'd like to see none in pinstripes to be honest. We're trying to get under the cap to reset penalties before splurging on the 2018 FA class
    What's their luxury tax number now? Not their 2017 salary, but luxury tax number.

  6. #36
    They're at 50-60% right now. They go down below the lux tax and they'll reset

  7. #37
    The Yankees have a projected arb payroll of $21 mil. They have $26.5 mil of retained contracts (ARod and McCann). They have $120 mil of active salary. This is after the Holliday signing. So their payroll loosely sits at $167.5 mil. I assume they will be spending about $15-$18 mil on a bullpen piece or pieces. I would also assume we add a low budget starter probably in the $10 mil range. I don't forsee any other offensive upgrades. That puts us close to the $200 mil range for 2017. But after this yr....

    CC and his $25 mil
    ARod and his $21 mil
    Holliday and his $13 mil
    Clippard and his $6 mil

    will all go away. That's a further reduction of $65 mil in time for the lux tax to rise to $195 mil-ish

    Then things get even more fluid after 2018 with Gardner and Headley coming off the books. That's another $25 mil in salary for guys who aren't giving great production.
    Last edited by jacksonianmarch; 12-05-2016 at 08:56 AM.
    The rebuild is complete.

  8. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    They're at 50-60% right now. They go down below the lux tax and they'll reset
    That's a lot.

    Also, remember the luxury tax is set on the average cost of each contract- not the seasonal salary.

  9. #39
    Exactly, which is why ARod is only $21 and not $25 mil. His year suspension dropped his AAV. Regardless, they all drop off the map after 2017
    The rebuild is complete.

  10. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Exactly, which is why ARod is only $21 and not $25 mil. His year suspension dropped his AAV. Regardless, they all drop off the map after 2017
    It took a while, but good management has finally gotten a grip on the budget.

  11. #41
    Cashman isn't afraid to spend, but he was definitely forced into extending CC and ARod. Thankfully, those follies will be finished in 2017
    The rebuild is complete.

  12. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Cashman isn't afraid to spend, but he was definitely forced into extending CC and ARod. Thankfully, those follies will be finished in 2017
    I have always thought that Cashman was a good GM, and that he could do a much better job if some of the higher ups stopped butting in.

  13. #43
    Seems like we are in fact done, as Cashman didn't get any offers he liked for Gardner or Headley. I don't think we'll win the world series, but this isn't a bad team. Obviously, I wouldn't mind if we had some good production but still dropped games and made some more great trades at the deadline. Tanaka, Pineda, and Gardner could potentially get some strong returns this summers at the deadline. Even Clippard or CC could fetch something.

    CF- Gardner
    2B- Castro
    1B- Bird
    C- Sanchez
    DH- Holliday
    LF- Ellsbury
    RF- Judge
    3B- Headley
    SS- Didi

    Bench - Romine, Austin, Hicks, and Refsnyder

    Tanaka, Pineda, CC, Servino, Cessa

    Chapman, Betances, Clippard, Heller/Holder, Sherve, Bleier, Mitchell.


    I bolded some guys I could see being moved or people I'd like to see moved this year.

  14. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Meh View Post
    Seems like we are in fact done, as Cashman didn't get any offers he liked for Gardner or Headley. I don't think we'll win the world series, but this isn't a bad team. Obviously, I wouldn't mind if we had some good production but still dropped games and made some more great trades at the deadline. Tanaka, Pineda, and Gardner could potentially get some strong returns this summers at the deadline. Even Clippard or CC could fetch something.

    CF- Gardner
    2B- Castro
    1B- Bird
    C- Sanchez
    DH- Holliday
    LF- Ellsbury
    RF- Judge
    3B- Headley
    SS- Didi

    Bench - Romine, Austin, Hicks, and Refsnyder

    Tanaka, Pineda, CC, Servino, Cessa

    Chapman, Betances, Clippard, Heller/Holder, Sherve, Bleier, Mitchell.


    I bolded some guys I could see being moved or people I'd like to see moved this year.
    Good assessment. I think there's a good chance a few of the bolded guys will be doing well enough to bring you even more young talent.

  15. #45
    slav, I am intrigued to see how we perform this year. And Meh, I honestly don't think Severino wins a job out of ST. I think the kid needs to build his confidence again in AAA. Chad Green has a really strong chance to win the job out of ST if he isn't hurt. We have a lot of others guys capable of starting as well, including Jordan Montgomery and Bryan Mitchell. One thing is for sure, aside from CC and Shreve, about everyone who will take the mound for us will have power in their arm. Even Tanaka can run it up there into the mid 90s when he wants to. This is a shake out kind of year for us, and if we break right, we could be really good. I think the likelihood is that not everything shakes out well and we have a so-so non playoff season. I think our offense will be an improvement. No more forcing ABs onto two guys in power spots who put together a -2.3 WAR. Also, Sanchez for McCann looks like an improvement as well. Beltran down to Judge is a dropoff in offense alone. Who knows with the rest. I think it will be interesting to follow them. I predict this team to be on the fringes of a WC spot all year and finish about 2-3 games out by end of the season. I see another mid 80s win season, probably 84 wins
    The rebuild is complete.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •