Register now to remove this ad

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Yankees Off Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Station 13 View Post
    They gave Chapman $86M, Holliday $13M, and Carter $3M. That's spending. Whether it is the most or not is not important, the back to spending ways as you allude to is already happening.
    I don't consider Holliday's or Carter's contracts as being huge because they are short term.

Fair enough on Chapman. That's a ridiculous contract.

Honestly, I hope the Yankees reset their luxury tax and then go drunken crazy signing expensive free agents.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    I don't consider Holliday's or Carter's contracts as being huge because they are short term.

Honestly, I hope the Yankees reset their luxury tax and then go drunken crazy signing expensive free agents.
    Yeah if they have to dip heavily into the market it means something gone terribly wrong with their farm.

The Dodgers spent more by far, but many were their own players, so maybe some don't count them.

Even though we technically spent more in dollars in 2017, we offset that by losing significant dollars from guaranteed contracts and have a ton more coming off over the next 12-24 months. Plus, of all the spending, the only spending that crosses 2017 is Chapman's. Add in that Chapman got an $8 mil raise over what he was paid last yr and it really doesn't seem like much.

I agree that I think Tanaka will opt out, but I also would be interested to see how his market is affected by his lack of a 200IP season and the recovery of his elbow. While he will have suitors, I doubt he has suitors to the degree that Darvish will. He has proven he can pitch in NY and I anticipate NY will do what it can to re-sign him.

The dodgers are in a different world right now. NY seems to understand they are in a bridge year yet have the talent to be really good if everyone hits their potential. After 2017, we see a nice FA market. After 2018, we see an insane market. By 2019, the cap surpasses $200 million and by next year, we should be under it. Re-setting the cap will allow us to spend into absurdity as right now, we would be eligible for a 50-90% tax on overages as repeat offenders.
    Hal sucks

Batences loses arbitration, makes $3M. He asked for $5M originally.

Batences loses arbitration, makes $3M. He asked for $5M originally.
    And according to Sherman of the NY Post, Betances is unhappy with how the Yankees have dealt with him the last 2 years. FWIW

While the class of FA's post 2018 is legendary, the class post 2017 is no slouch. Notable names are..

Eric Hosmer 1B
    Mike Moustakas 3B
    Yadier Molina C
    Carlos Santana 1B
    JD Martinez OF
    Lorenzo Cain CF
    Carlos Gonzalez RF
    Andre Ethier RF
    Jay Bruce RF
    Jake Arrieta SP
    Johnny Cueto SP (he can opt out)
    Yu Darvish SP
    Masahiro Tanaka SP
    Wade Davis CL

There are plenty more lower tier pitchers, but Arrieta, Darvish, Cueto and Tanaka make for an intriguing top of the rotation conversation for sure. With a cap of $197 mil for 2017, it is hard to believe they'd stay under, especially since they are already at $194,669,999. I expect more players to trigger clauses or make the team who bring that up nominally and probably slightly exceed.

Let's assume we extend Tanaka at his current rate. This leaves us with $120 mil committed with a cap of $197. We'd have to replace the production of CC, Clippard and Pineda on the pitching side. On the offensive side, Carter and Holliday will be the only ones who's contracts expire. Best case scenario is that some of our pitchers step up and we would need to sign only two starters and no relievers. I honestly think we wouldn't need Clippard come 2018. Even if we nab Darvish and Arrieta, we'd still have another $20 is million before we hit the cap. The likelihood that we'd land both is low, but the possibility of having Tanaka and Darvish atop our rotation I think is pretty good.
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    And according to Sherman of the NY Post, Betances is unhappy with how the Yankees have dealt with him the last 2 years. FWIW
    He is just hurt that he lost his arb case. He is under control through 2019
    Hal sucks

What is the situation with Otani? The new rules says something about not offering a contract over $3M???

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    He is just hurt that he lost his arb case. He is under control through 2019
    Nobody is happy in arbitration.

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post

I am with you on this, but afraid they may have learned there lesson.

All-Star
    What is the situation with Otani? The new rules says something about not offering a contract over $3M???
    Yes that's part of the new collective bargaining agreement, but writers are saying MLB could make an exception.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Things have gotten ugly between Betances and Levine. Having to listen to your team in arb tell you why you're not worth the extra money is bad enough. Levine added insult to injury with his ensuing comments.

All-Star
    Levine is a moron. You think he asked for too much, fine...but what good can come of ripping one of your players publicly like that AFTER the arbitrator ruled in your favor?

"Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flap View Post
    Levine is a moron. You think he asked for too much, fine...but what good can come of ripping one of your players publicly like that AFTER the arbitrator ruled in your favor?
    Yep, idiocy.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.